You are here

finding my place in the home....

needvalidation's picture

I’ve been in a relationship now with my girlfriend for just over 3 years and living together for just 1 year together with her and her 20yo son. My girlfriend had bought up her son and daughter (a couple of years older and now living away from home) herself and had only had a few relationships for herself during that time.
Originally her son’s behaviour was fine, there was the occasional drunken accident, but he has a job which he has had for 3 years which I thought was impressive based on some of his friends who chopped and changed their minds all the time. We originally lived in village a few miles from a village where most of his friends were and his work so he was heavily dependent on us for lifts as he can’t drive and there was no bus service.

Late last year we moved to the village where is friends and work are and his behaviour has dramatically changed. Without the dependency on us for transport he’ll stay in the pub until after midnight, even on week days and although he denies it he is drinking heavily – previously the curfew based on his need for lifts was 10pm. Often on returning home he’ll help himself to the whatever alcohol is around, even though he has been told repeatedly it’s out of bounds.

On several occasions he’s bought friends back and they’ll sit downstairs watching TV, talking, banging doors etc until the early hours of the morning. Again he has been told this isn’t acceptable and yet continues to do it – my girlfriend and I both work long hours and so being woken up at 3am isn’t what we need.
Also he borrows money promising to pay it back and rarely does. He doesn’t pay any rent whatsoever and does nothing to help around the house.
Up until now I’ve not really had to intervene or confront him as his behaviour was fine before we moved.

But over the last few months I’ve had enough of this consistently poor and inconsiderate behaviour. The matter is compounded by the fact that whilst my girlfriend admits in having wished someone else was there to share the burden of setting boundaries through the years she is very independent and when I start commenting negatively on her son’s behaviour she gets defensive towards him – this has now got the point where she’ll side with her son rather than me.
I think part of the problem is that he hasn’t had boundaries, there was a natural one with the need for us to give him lifts, and I’m not sure how you set boundaries for someone of that age who appears to have managed reasonably well so far without them.

One of the problems that I see is there are no consequences for his actions, he occasionally says sorry, which in reality is more of a token gesture than him actually being sincere as the behaviour repeats a couple of weeks later but if he drinks bottles of wine he doesn’t replace them, although I feel that is almost acceptance of the action in the first place. He also has very immature negotiation skills resorting to the “nag factor” as soon as anything is denied him, which obviously has more chance of working on my girlfriend than me and it’s interesting to notice that when he is doing it he regresses into a childlike voice and posture in an effort to put extra guilt on my girlfriend.

One thing to mention is that I’ve never had kids of my own and so I am relatively inexperienced in terms of knowing how to manage this sort of thing or understanding what behaviour can be expected (as I’ve already said his behaviour previously was fine).

So any help or comments would be very much appreciated...

needvalidation's picture

thanks for the reply...I wouldn't say an alcoholic more like having too much fondness for a drink...

I guess my question really is around "what am I" in the family and what rights that gives me, the kids are too old for me to be a step-father, if it was a 3yo and 5 yo it would be a very different story...should the SS do what I ask him to...should he ask me things, like whether or not people can stay, and expect a valid answer as though it was from his mother...he lives in our house (as in the one that my g/f and I pay for) so should I be able to say how things work and for it to be taken the same way as if it was his mother saying it...? Should my girlfriend confere with me about house things, such as people staying, before speaking to him and indeed should those conversations be 3-way...my g/f view is that if I've got a problem I should talk to him about it (difficult as he never spends any time with us) but then I think he'll just defer to what he can get away with through his mum and ignore whatever I say as it doesn't matter to him...

My g/f has never set any rules or boundaries, if she does SS gradually erodes them as he just about seems to be able to cope for a few weeks and then slips back into his old ways - so I'm not quiet sure what the consequences are, again if he were younger we'd be talking being grounded or no TV etc...but for a 20yo...?

Personally I think its a case of needing some tough love, really it should be the ultimate threat of if you don't like it go and live somewhere else, but my g/f wouldn't go with that...in fact part of me thinks this is all just posturing on his part so that there is a big arguement and that gets said so he won't have any responsibility for leaving home - responsibility is something he avoids at all costs....

So the question is what is my role and what would consequences be for a 20yo...?

thanks again...

Persephone's picture

LOL Your response reminds me of Alice In wonderland... How appropriate. Here is a little humor:

Caterpillar: Who are YOU?
Alice: This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation. I -- I hardly know, sir, just at present -- at least I know who I was when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then.

The Duchess: I quite agree with you. And the moral of that is: Be what you would seem to be, or if you'd like it put more simply: Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.

Alice: But I don't want to go among mad people.
The Cat: Oh, you can't help that. We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
Alice: How do you know I'm mad?

The Cat: You must be. Or you wouldn't have come here.

buttercookie's picture

He's 20 set some rules, make him get a job and set a move out date if you don't want him there if he won't respect your house.

Persephone's picture

After years of living an undefined or redefined role in my own house, I have stepped up. The kids are adults now... Now, I am the "landlord". And that is exactly how I refer to myself when setting boundaries and rules. The kids (tenants) must live by the landlord's rules, or find a new place to live.

I told my DH that for years he did the disciplining and was charged with raising responsible, respectable/ful and independent kids... he fought me tooth an nail because he thought he was doing right... Now it's time for the kids to perform as society expects. If they are to live in my house, they will follow societies (my) rules. If this policy is good for my own children, it is also good for his.

So far, no one has argued with my landlord title. SS did not like the rules and moved out.

I am all about helping the kids out; However, more often than not, the help should be what I call teaching moments. Not doing it for them.

needvalidation's picture

ok, thanks for the feedback - I do like the Alice reference...

I guess the issue that I have is that I don't really get any backup from my g/f so if I take a stance nothing will actually change as I don't have her backing - it feels to me that she refuses to have 3-way conversations about things as that would make it appear as though she was siding with me...when we did have a 3 way conversation a few months ago she got frustrated with me (we obviously haven't got 20 years joint parenting skills between us and so we're very joined up) and then said she'd have to deal with things herself just like she has always done, which just makes it feel as though its me and them...something compounded by her comment to me a few weeks ago where she said her family come first with the inference that I took from it being that I didn't matter, which just compounds my feeling that I'm just there to pay towards the bills and have little say in the house or contribution towards the family...

If the SS was challenged with the ultimatium of having to move out I'd never hear the end of it...she said sometime ago that she doesn't want him "pushed out" as she thinks her daughter left home too early and so wants her son to be fully prepared - in my opinion he'll never be as fully prepared as she'd like, no one ever is...

I'm not sure if any of this is making any sense...probably reflective of my state of mind and the position I find myself in...

Persephone's picture

Why don't you start with a 2-way conversation and list your agreements. Then list the big disagreements and see where you can agree, compromise, or work to improve.

The fact is at 20 he should be prepared to be independent and start learning and living his life. No, he's not going to have a house, new car, exotic vacations, and may very well eat a whole lot of macaroni and cheese... if not crow. and that is okay.. He will never appreciate the feast if he has never experience the famine.

oneoffour's picture

She will not engage in a conversation about her son because she will do anything to hang onto him and not lose him. While he is a pain to live with and acts like an adolescent she knows where he is. He is safe. However if she pushes him out into the big wide world she is likely to never see him again. This is her fear.

However, allowing him to run the show and do whatever he likes is not preparing him for a successful self sufficient lifestyle. If she refuses to allow you to instruct the boy on correct respectful behaviour then move out. Find an apartment somewhere and tell her you love her dearly and always will and you want to get back what is gone. However you cannot live under the roof with her son so step back and return to the dating days which were so much easier. She makes the choice. Either she gives you some autonomy in the home you contribute to or you move out until she sees the future she will get. Mr20 doing exactly what he wants and she has no control over the situation.