You are here

DH controls the money/makes most decisions

PerplexedPatty's picture

My DH doesn’t discuss fianances with me. I am completely in the dark. He pays all the bills, gives me an allowance to pay my bills, everything is separate. DH doesn’t want me to know our financial situation because that way he can be in control of everything. He doesn’t want me to work outside the home because my 3 children (S17, D15, D13) live with us 70% of the time. DH doesn’t want the resposibility of “raising” my children. He already raised 3 children (SD30, SS28, SD26) or should I say is still raising them!  He is constantly sending SD30 (career student) money. She’s was on a paid internship for school in Europe for 6 months and has been able tour around for 3 weeks at dad’s expense. SS is getting married and DH contributed thousands of dollars to his wedding. SS bought a house and DH helped with th down payment. SD26 went on 5 trips last year and DH gave her money for all of them. DH bought Skids airline tickets and lift tickets for the secretly planned ski trip that I found out about after seeing an email reserving a condo over New Year’s. His children don’t even appreciate it most of the time. It’s almost expected and DH is still trying to make up for the divorce that happened 16 years ago. 

I think that a husband and wife should make most decisions together, especially when it comes to big amounts of money. DH doesn’t see it that way. He thinks he’s being a good provider and I should be thankful for all he’s done for me. I have wanted to work and have interviewed for many jobs only to turn them down because DH wanted me to stay home and help him and be available to go on business trips. From the outside it looks like I should be grateful  for being able to stay home and take care of the domestic duties and help with the property management company. 

We live in DH home that he raised his children in and I’ve wanted to move so we can have a fresh start and neutral ground. When  adult skids come over they make me feel like a guest in my own house. I haven’t been able to make the house feel like home for my children either (we’ve been living in the house for 3 years). I can’t even hang a picture on the wall without his approval. The house is like a shrine of DH’s children. Tons of pictures of the skids in every room. 

At this point I’d be happy working 40 hours a week cleaning toilets with a toothbrush just so I could feel like an adult. Help I’m being micro-managed!

tog redux's picture

Whoa. Control freak much?

What stops you from getting a job regardless of what DH wants? Your kids are old enough to be home alone for a few hours after school.

Since it's his money, you really don't have much say in what he gives his kids, but I would not live the way you are - with someone giving me an "allowance", and completely dependent on him for everything.  I don't think you should be "grateful" to be able to stay home and take care of "domestic duties", I think that's him gaslighting you.

You are being treated like a 1950s wife.

PerplexedPatty's picture

You are correct in that I am definitely being treated like a 1950’s wife and my children can stay home for a few hours after school. Another reason DH doesn’t want me working is he’s afraid that I may meet someone else and leave him. He has said that jokingly. 

I’m getting a job after the first of the year. I am looking forward to having some independence. Thank you for your response.

Missingme's picture

After you get the new job, plan on getting divorced because you will feel free, he will feel free, and all the kids will feel free.  I'm in the same predicament, although just recently did get a PT job and am feeling a little more confident about how I could do on my own.  You're absolutely right, your husband shells out the dough out of guilt for the divorce, to compete with their mother, and to ensure that the spawn come around.  (They love his money!)  Your husband it a control freak all the way around.  He wants his cake and eat it all, too.  Given a choice between his kids and you and you will lose, hands down.  I'm sorry to sound so harsh, but I know exactly how you feel and I'm talking to myself, too.  It really is all a losing battle, and almost everyone on this site knows it!  I hope you get the job and find a way out of the life you have.  It sucks.  Mine does, too.  Yes, we have money/things, but we don't have unconditional love, we will never be first as a wife should be, and we'll always be frustrated by our husbands' skids.  You do have one up on me, though.  You have children who love you and will likely always be there for you as you age.  I hope you'll have a quiet and happy Christmas on some level.  Best to you.  

PerplexedPatty's picture

I just noticed this! Thank you for your response! You are absolutely correct! I hope your holidays were good!

I am looking forward to this New Year! Many changes for the better. 

My best to you too!

MissDenise's picture

Yes get a job and sock money away. Meanwhile put pictures where you want, move furniture around etc. If he doesn't like it then he can add your name to the deed. He should have done that right after you both married.

susanm's picture

My concern would be what shape you would be in if something happened to him.  If you have no idea of the finances, I am assuming that you have no idea what his will says, who is the beneficiary of his retirement/investment assets (some must go to spouse unless a waiver is signed but others can be assigned to anyone), whether there is any life insurance, whether you would be able to keep the house, or even if all of this money he is splashing around is secure or precariously held together.  You would be shocked at how well some people live for a very long time by moving money around and taking loans and no one is the wiser until the tax man or grim reaper shows up.  Surprise - no money, honey!  

if I were you I would start doing some homework.  If he won't be honest, find out what you can on your own.  You said that you help in his business.  Start there.  You don't want to have a well-cared for couple of years only to end up broke and out on your a$$ because everything goes to the skids or because he is in debt up to his eyeballs.  You very well may need to have a job and your own money to protect yourself!

PerplexedPatty's picture

Absolutely agree! I do not trust that I will be in a good financial situation if something happened to DH seeing how he takes care of his adult children. I don’t know exactly what the Will says and I know he doesn’t have a life insurance policy. He told me that I would be fine. I do believe it could get ugly with his kids if something happened to him. I would be out on my a$$. The house is in a trust for his kids.

I need to protect myself and that’s why I’ve been interviewing for jobs. I’m planning on working after the first of the year. I need my independence back. 

Thank you for the advice!

still learning's picture

I've heard horror stories of wives signing things for them husbands "endeavors" but really having no idea what they were signing then being on the hook for it.  You need to be in the know in a marital situation, if you were just living together that would be different but the two of you are legally bound.  I would run a credit check on yourself and find out all you can about your/his financial sitauation.  Be sneaky and smart.

hereiam's picture

She is venting because he doesn't want her to work, but wants her to take care of all the domestic duties and expects her to help him with his business, yet have no say in their finances. They live in HIS home, which he will not even let her make it "their" home, she cannot even decorate without his okay. She has no say in her own life (if she wants to stay with him, anyway).

He wants her "under his thumb", he is a control freak. This IS a form of abuse. 

So, you would have no problem with this?

OP, you need to do what you need to do to feel like you have some control and say over your own life and finances. A true partner would not want to hold you back and control you like this.

STaround's picture

We are only hearing one side.   These three kids, who live with them 70% of the time, I would like to know, did she expect him to help with them?   What ist the backstory on this?  Were they calling him for rides, etc. 

PerplexedPatty's picture

My children never call him for rides or anything for that matter. I’m raising my kids like a singe parent in DH’s house. He doesn’t want to have any responsibility for my kids when I’m at work. 

PerplexedPatty's picture

Thank you for saying what I’ve been thinking all along. It is a form of abuse. Every few weeks I almost have a break down because I feel so controlled.  It’s interesting that DH can’t see it.

STaround's picture

What did you two say?  Did you say you wanted him to sell his house and move?  What did you two say to each other?   Did you say you wanted to keep working?  Or was your expectation that you would get half of his money?  

I am guessing he is well off financially.  In his circle, it may be common to pay for the things you complain about.   Dinging him for this is not going to endear you to him.  

I am gathering you did not sign a prenup.  You may want to consult an attorney. 

twoviewpoints's picture

The OP has lived in the house for three years, but only married to him for the last eight months.

Don't sit there and tell me you would have married a man eight months ago that would not inform you of a single thing about finances, household budgets, or that you would have readily smashed that ring of 'I do' on your finger knowing full well you had no investment in the home in the future, not a dime of security blah blah. No where to go if your 2b husband croaked in a car crash two months after saying ' I do' because the skids dropped by and booted your *ss. 

uh huh, sure you'd just be happy he put a roof over three teens heads for (1-5 years), handed you an allowance to buy groceries, clean his house, cook his meals and warm up the sex life at night. Right? 

Yeah, sure, OP should consider herself "lucky" she is demanded to maid , cook and mistress all the while being available in case her husband may want her to fly off for the weekend spur of the moment.

*gag gag barf* Oh, an maybe, just maybe, if OP is really really lucky occasionally, her teens in an emergency can ask step dad to give them a ride somewhere *rolling eyes*.

STaround's picture

I never would have married a man without each us understanding the other's income, assets, and responsiblities.   But that is me.  OP chose not to.   OTOH, I pay my own way.  I told my DH when he was my fiance, that I had money saved for my DDs college, etc., and that was not negotiable.  We worked out a fair arrangement regarding both of our houses, retirment, kids.  

This guy seems like he has a lot of money.  OP complains about him spending on his kid.  IMHO, she needs to knock it off.  She apparently chose to not nail down money issues before the marriage, and she knew what he spent.   People in their twenties do that.   She rolled the dice.  Now she is angry.   I get that.  Some would be happy with the deal she cut, some would not.   

TwoOfUs's picture

Also...she’s working for his business for free. That’s really shady of him to not let her work or let her in on financial decisions and then use her as unpaid labor. 

In a divorce, many judges will often look at unpaid labor provided by the wife for the husband’s business when dividing assets. I have a friend going through this right now. Trophy wife...worked unpaid as office manager at her husband’s plastic surgery practice for two decades...then he cheated. he’s having to pay her back for a lot of that now.

OP...I’d also start documenting time that you spend working at your husband’s company. 

STaround's picture

Her 3 kids live with them 70% of the time.  Is she getting child support?  She can bank that, or does he tell her to contribute it to the household.  

I think she should be able to get a job, but it sounds like she is getting a good deal.   And her post had a LOT of gripes about what he pays them. 

susanm's picture

The problem with a good deal today is that it can disappear tomorrow if you have no idea where the money is coming from or what provisions have been made for you.  It is like having a fabulous summer at the beach but not bothering to worry about where you will be living in January.  Fine when you are 19 but no longer cute when you are over 35 and have kids depending on you.

susanm's picture

I don't think it matters - child support, job, something - independent income is necessary.  I think we are both saying the same thing.  Some guy paying your way and having a luxurious lifestyle is great but not if you are being treated like a 10 year old and have no clue what your future holds.

tog redux's picture

Having a man give you an "allowance" like a child sounds like a "good deal" to you? Not me.  Nor does letting him make all the decisions down to what you hang where on the wall.  Sounds like her DH wanted a housekeeper who has sex with him.

PerplexedPatty's picture

I am getting child support. It’s used for my children’s expenses. 

It’s not a good deal when you don’t have security in your future. I could’ve been working somewhere with benefits and doing some investing for the last 3 years, 

There have been a lot of empty promises made. He told me after we were married he would get his Will redone, we would move, he would let me know about finances and we would make decisions together. None of it has happened. I don’t see it happening. 

STaround's picture

You say your CS is used for their expensese?  Does this include a share of housing or food at home? Of course, it was wrong of him to lie to you.  I would suggest counseling, but I doubt he would agree.  

SecondNoMore's picture

One of the most valuable life lessons I learned was in a women's studies class freshmen year of college: men are taught growing up to understand the connection between money and power, while women rarely are. That's why you see so few men willing to give up a career to raise kids even when the wife makes more money... They know that bringing money to the relationship gives them more of a say in how money gets spent and they don't want to relinquish that control. And who would blame them?

I'm not saying there are no exceptions, but generally speaking there is a price you pay when you let someone else support you financially. Given the age of your kids, child care costs wouldn't be an issue so I'm really happy that you'll be looking for a job after the holidays. I think it will be a great feeling for you and it will shift the dynamic with your husband, which it sounds like you want. Good luck!

CompletelyPuzzled's picture

I really feel like this is a control issue. Its not that he spends money on his kids or that he makes the money.  Its the fact that he is secretive about money. If he has nothing to hide then why not be open with your partner. People who have nothing to hide, hide nothing.  My DH and I have a more traditional marriage, but I actually manage our finances because I am better at it.  My DH and I discuss all decisions.  Plus, since I am responsible for our home, my DH realizes that I should make many of the decisions.  It sounds like OP's DH doesnt want her to have any say about anything.  That is not a partnership.

Wrong Way Diva's picture

I would think he will need your signature on a tax return soon... do not sign anything you don't fully understand.   Make a copy and review with your accountant or attorney.   

STaround's picture

While he can file seperate, if he makes a lot of money, that will cost him more in taxes.  And even if he will not give you a copy, file form 4506 with the IRS, they will send you one. 

shamds's picture

he has a very senior position in his company and i moved overseas to marry him and live with him.

in our case hubby had started building our current home but had stopped midway then after meeting me and seeing a future continued with building it. He moved in partly 2 weeks before we got married (our home is out of the city) where he had an apartment closer to work so we would come to our home on weekends and school holidays etc. Ss followed moving here 1 month before our daughter was born (a year after we married), apartment got rented out last year 

in my case its very difficult for foreigners to own property and bank accounts, just having a visa isn’t good enough as the banks have their own rules so we only got to opening my bank account early this year (just over 3 years after marrying), but before then and now, any airline tickets to fly overseas  to visit my home every year or fly my dad over to us i have access to hubbys credit cards. 

I know how much he earns per paycheck and whats in savings approximately, his life insurance policy and wills he’s put in place (his 3 kids with ex are aged 22, 20 and 13) and our 2 kids are (almost 3 and 1.5 yrs old), hubby had made me executor of his life insurance policy and pension money because he feels currently his kids with ex have benefited more financially compared to ours who are yet to school, then we have the narcissistic highly unstable ex wife constantly scheming things, hubbys kids with ex expecting handouts and guilting hubby that hubby has had to make pre-emptive moves to ensure me and our 2 little kids aren’t thrown out on the street should something happen to him since his kids with ex aren’t on a united/integrated family type relationship, they’re out to protect their financial future at getting handouts from hubby which he has seen they’ve abused and he’s starting to put stops to it especially for the elder kids who are adults

i have every month gotten personal savings money to transfer every month back to my home country as our 2 kids will go to school there and i do grocery shopping with it too. 

Any grocery shopping on weekends etc hubby always pays but i do alot of online ordering. This is what works for us currently as hubby is always too busy at work and travelling interstate or overseas etc so i always have access to money incase of emergencies.

i do not personally care for 20 yr old ss when he is back home from university. I go about my day as usual with our 2 kids and we plan our own holidays. But when i feel or see money is excessively spent on adult stepkids or kids with exwife that nothing is going to our 2 kids, i bring that up with hubby that it needs to be as fair as possible and he can’t use the excuse our kids are not in school yet. 

The secret ski holiday, are you and your 3 bios invited or is this just him and his kids wih ex??

Siemprematahari's picture

So are you going to continue to allow this man to control your life? Get a job, one with benefits, and get the heck out of that toxic marriage that you're in. You have children that see this. Do you want them to think that this is ok? This man controls every single part of your life. Does he also tell you what to wear, how to wear it, what to eat,? Does he designate certain nights to be intimate and what to cook for dinner?

Darling, its never ok to allow someone this much power and control over you......ever!

PerplexedPatty's picture

It wasn’t like this in the beginning of the relationship. HD pursued me. I was working full time and taking care of myself and my children. DH wanted me to move in and help him with his home and business. DH said he wanted it to be easier for me to be available for my children. I of course thought “wow,what an amazing guy”! Things started to change. He had an opinion on everything from what groceries and where to buy them to setting the table for a holiday! I thought it was different and it didn’t bother me at first until I felt I had to ask his opinion on pretty much everything I did. I have been loosing myself in his world. 

I have wanted to work  outside the house for quite sometime. Not only to contribute to the household but for sanity reasons! It’s just been a battle with DH, he doesn’t want me to. 

I agree, it is never okay to let someone control you. It’s interesting how it slowly happens in a relationship and one day you wake up and go what in the H#$% happened???

Major Blunder's picture

Ok , I'm weighing in after reading this numerous times and the also numerous responses.  True we haven't heard his side, but we take alot of stories on here from just one side. True, she agreed to the arrangement, however it sounds like the "arrangement" is not what was expected. True he is exerting and controling all the power, and that is where all the self empowerment talk could be dangerous, if he is like this when she is compliant to his whim what will he be like when she goes against what he wants.  Op may want to seek out help before making any moves that could upset the applecart, she hasn't mentioned physical abuse but I could see a man like this move in that direction easily, she needs to find a support system before making any actual changes, as a man this guy is setting off my a$$hole radar bigtime !

TwoOfUs's picture

Agree 100%

She "agreed" to the arrangement with the understanding that there would be transparency and mutual decision-making...and now he's backing out of his end of the bargain. He's also expecting her to "help him out" at his business as unpaid labor (A business that is likely being left to his kids and, if not, is certainly benefitting them currently...so, essentially, he's unwilling to lift a finger in any way for her kids...but is forcing a situation where she builds wealth for his. But that's just framed as "helping him out" like a good wife...hmmm. Shady, shady, shady.) 

OP - you know your situation best. Listen to your gut. If you aren't afraid of your DH in any way physically...if you think he's just selfish and controlling but not violent in any way...then muster up the courage to have a real heart-to-heart and lay down a few ground rules. Monthly financial meetings. Access to all the accounts. Yes...that IS your right as his wife. He's not allowed to hamper your earning power (or get rid of it altogether) and then NOT work in partnership with you, NOT let you know where you stand financially, and NOT provide any ongoing financial security for you. That's a shitty way for a husband to treat his wife...he doesn't get to do that just because he's the primary breadwinner. I'm the primary breadwinner in my home (not by choice), and I do all budgeting and bill pay (because I'm better at it), and I give DH a monthly report about how much we spent and why...even though he would never ask for it because he's just blissfully ignorant about money. He also never checks any of the accounts...but I pushed for wills recently, I have him as the beneficiary on everything (except one account that is for my little sister should I kick it), and I have a file with all logins and etc. in one convenient location should I precede him. It's not that difficult to care for and provide for your spouse. I'd love to have a partner like you who actually cared about what we were spending and why. 

Anyway. If your gut tells you that he would get physical...or that a talk wouldn't do any good and he would continue to lie, be secretive, deflect your questions and, perhaps, start doing more to hide money from you...then do what others here have suggested and get a copy of your tax returns this year and go over with your own accountant / lawyer. Don't tell him you're doing this...just do it. Then decide how you want to proceed once you have all the info. 

Sorry you're going through this. I hate the ridiculous and never-ending humiliations of being a "second wife" in a "first family" world. 

ESMOD's picture

It sounds like her DH is very controlling.  While he is apparently supporting everyone.. even her kids, it seems like she should not be treated in such a childlike fashion when it comes to the household finances.  I'm not saying that she is necessarily entitled to more...

Now, she does have 3 children.. is their father not supporting or providingsupport for these kids that live with her way more than 50% of the time?

the kids are also all old enough to be more self sufficient.. isn't there a way she could at least work a part time job.. even maybe a temp job during the school year.  I kind of get that her DH doesn't want to be saddled with driving her kids around etc.. but it seems like she could be in the workforce... if only on a limited basis.

And... while it's nice that her DH is able and willing to financially support the whole household.. OP should have an understanding about what the future might look like for her financially.  If her DH were to die.. where would she live? will she be provided for in any way.. maybe if not now.. how long before he would consider her "contribution" (keeping the house etc..) worthy of being more invested in any assets in the marital financial bucket?

At the very least... would he be willing to take a life ins policy out with her as the beneficiary... that would at least afford her a bit of a fresh start if something were to happen to him?

These seem reasonable requests.. it is worrisome that he is treating her like a child.. I'm wondering what the rest of their relationship is like.. before marrriage etc.

TwoOfUs's picture

In a comment somewhere she mentions that she is getting CS and uses that to support her kids. 

It really rubs me the wrong way that he's so opposed to supporting her kids in any fashion...but he expects her to "help out" and fill in the gaps at his family business...in essence expecting her to build more wealth for his kids. How is that right or fair to her? 

And, yes. She should also absolutely know where she stands and have some provision if something were to happen to her DH. Anything less is a completely crappy way to treat your spouse. 

STaround's picture

She says she is getting child support, and she uses it for them.  I did not see where she is supporting her DCs, or contributing to the household.  Maybe she is using for extras, sports, etc. Maybe she will clarify.   I see him supporting her and her kids. 

ESMOD's picture

I'm wondering if he considers her allowance as payment for her "helping with the business".

If she is getting CS to pay her kid's way.. and then an allowance from him to compensate for her work for his company.. then I guess she has to decide whether his providing a home. the allowance and whatnot is worth the effort she is putting into his business.  Could she make more outside the home and instead be contributing more to the household?

I think that being in the dark really rankles her.. but I guess to an extent, he may be trying to protect what he already had when they married.. but there should be some way for her to share in the future earnings to the extent she helps with the business.. but in reality.. she may be getting a fairly decent financial deal here.. nice home..he pays all those bills..she can be there for her kids all the time.. doesn't have to also work outside the home.. it just depends on how much value is being put on these things to whether she is getting a raw deal or not.  TBH.. what he chooses to give his kids from money he brought into the relationship is really his own business.. but I think she needs to talk about financial futures with him.. what does that look like.

STaround's picture

He seems to have money, she may have been able to get her kids in a good school district, use her CS for all the extras.   He does not seem young, the business may not appreciate much past what it is worth now.  Or he may have put in trust for his kids.  I do think she should have asked more questions before they got married.   

PerplexedPatty's picture

Thank you for your advice!

To answer a few of your questions: 

The beginning of the relationship was wonderful! He is a charmer! I was treated very well. (Sweet text messages, poetry, flowers, little notes left around the house, surprise dinners)) We went on a few trips together, some business related.  He was old fashioned when it comes to paying. 

I do receive child support and it is used for the children’s needs; food, clothing, sports, health expenses,etc. 

It is nice that DH has helped support my children with a roof over their head.

My son 17 works after school and on weekends,  helps drive his sisters around. 

The future is my concern and that is why I want to work so I’m not in a situation where I am at someone else’s mercy.  

We did talk about a life insurance policy before we got married. DH was going to get a term policy. We need to revisit that issue.

It’s amazing how you (the wife) become the enemy that DH needs to protect himself from when it comes to money! You would think if you love someone you would want to take care of them if something should happen to you. Maybe I’m old fashioned?

STaround's picture

Yes, I agree, you should be lookng for a job. But he is generous to you and your kids.  I think you need to stop complaining about him being generous to his kids, it comes off as greedy.  You may not mean it that way, but he may take it that way, and then close up.  For you to complain about him taking care of them and not you -- can you not see why he wants to protect his assets?

Rags's picture

I’m worried about you in this situation.  This isn’t a marriage IMHO.  It has the flavor or hyper controlled indentured servitude.

Get that job and take equity status in your marriage rather than continuing to cede all of the control to your DH.

Please.

Take care of you.