You are here

Adult when needed / Child when needed

Chawk610's picture

I have an 18 year old "step daughter". That is in quotes because it's actually my girlfriends daughter that lives with us in my house. She does not work, clean, or contribute in any way. I find myself resenting her deeply.... she takes total advantage of her mother like taking her sun glasses, beauty products, etc... and never returning them. She wakes up around 4 in the afternoon and hits the town around 9-10pm only to return between 5-9 the next morning. We have placed rules on her that she ignores for the most part. My fear is that this will break us up and I love my girlfriend deeply.

soverysad's picture

Your house, your rules. If mom doesn't like it then you're better off without her because it won't get better. SD will be an adult under your roof sponging off of you forever.

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy" and you can't change crazy!!

Chawk610's picture

I think you are right... but I don't want to "throw her away" you know. I want her in school, job, etc. I have told her that...many times. And you are right... beer is good!

Totalybogus's picture

This will only get worse Chawk. I have a 20 year old biodaughter that is driving both myself and my husband(her stepfather) over the edge. Thankfully I'll be putting her on the bus to bootcamp February 7th.

Where I made my mistake is accepting that my daughter absolutely has no idea what responsibility is. She has no idea how to manage money and she has no idea that at her age it is time for her to make a life of her own. She leaves.. she come back.. she leaves.. she comes back. My mistake is allowing her to do so and enabling her behavior.

While I'm not suggesting throwing the girl out, there definitely has to be some ground rules for living in your home now that she is an adult. If she has graduated school, she should either be going to college and working part time, or she must have a full time job. She should be charged rent and she should have a list of household responsibilities to take care of.

Parents are not doing their children any favors by making it easy for the adult children to live at home. They must learn how to live separate from the parent. It is our job to prepare them for that. I have woefully failed. I am trying now to fix it. My husband has been very patient, but he is my knight and protector and sees how she takes advantage of me and it drives him wild.

I'm sure this is where you are now. Perhaps if you talk to your girlfriend and discuss slowly putting adult responsibilities on your "sd" and how that will benefit her daugther in the long run, you might all save yourself a lot of grief.

Chawk610's picture

One problem is that she does not have a car. I am a divorced father of 2 and pay child support, her mom doesn't make enough to just buy her a car. I suggested that she get a job within walking distance. I was told "I don't walk". So, she is home sleeping as I type this...while I have been up since 4:45.

soverysad's picture

She shouldn't get to choose to "walk" or not. She either gets a job within walking distance and pays rent or she can find a place somewhere else to pay rent. At the VERY least her ass would be awake in the morning and she would be taking care of the house. I don't believe any person should be allowed to just do NOTHING but party and have fun (even kids should have responsibility).

Totalybogus's picture

Nope.. she can ride a bike then. Your GF needs to make that a rule of living at home. If she isn't in school, she has to have a job so she can GET HERSELF A CAR.

Chawk610's picture

Yall are right...this is a big mess, I am just tired of the fights it is causeing between us. Not to mention she is a horrible influence on my 8 year old twin girls.

Totalybogus's picture

Then unless you two can compromise and come up with some ground rules for your sd to live with you, it has to be a dealbreaker.

soverysad's picture

Why is it that your wife thinks this is acceptable behavior from an 18 year old?

Chawk610's picture

My thoughts on that are she has crossed a line between mother and friend... you know. We have been living together for a year, and her "kid" moved in in June. It takes me getting mad to get her mother to respond, and then it is weak, I end up being the one that takes action.

soverysad's picture

Well if you need to be the one to take action, so be it. If her mother doesn't like it, she had her chance, right? I used to have this issue with dh (sd is only 5 though). I would ask him to address her behavior and he would say ok, but he never seemed to understand what she was doing that had me pissed off. He would "talk" to her. I had to blow a gasket for him to actually discipline her. So I started doing it myself. He thought I was too harsh. I said "when you start addressing it appropriately on your own, I'll back off". He has come a long way and I almost never have to raise my voice anymore.

You need to explain to your wife that she has a responsibility to you so that you can be comfortable in your home AND she has a responsibility to her daughter to be a parent, not a friend. She's 22, let her make her own damn friends. It sounds like your wife has an insecurity issue and needs her own friends.

Sarah101's picture

I lived your life, Chawk, and it doesn't end well. The SD18 saw us as her personal ATM, housecleaners, food-buyers, servants, snow-shovelers, car-buyers, insurance-payers, cooks, and dishwashers. It was nice to be the Queen of Entitlement, and SD thought she ruled the house.

After a year of begging DH to set limits with SD, I finally told DH that it was either me or SD--I wasn't going to live in the same house anymore. He had 2 weeks to decide, and I started packing and looking for a new place to live so he could see how dead serious I was. After accusing me of beng insensitive and all sort of other enabler vocabulary that we are all so familiar with, DH reluctantly asked (asked!) SD to move out, and at first she laughed at him and refused. I kept packing.

SD did move out, though. Let me tell you, personal responsibility is almost impossible for Queens of Entitlement. SD never got a job, couch-surfed and mooched off family and friends for 2 full years (!), and is now pregnant. She figures that having a baby means she (1)won't ever have to work and can mooch off the state for the rest of her life, and (2) has new leverage to get money from DH.

This story didn't end well. I hope yours ends better. At some point you have to take a stand or lose a significant amount of control over your own life in service to your Queen.

Chawk610's picture

I literally just got off the phone with my mate... she insists the problem is the no car. She is GIVING her daughter her car and is going to get herself a new one. Then...apparently all will be wonderful. But my girl said she thinks I am upset abou tsomething else, and taking it out on SD, I said, no, it's her and US I am mad at for letting this go on. So, we will seeif anything changes. Ihave my doubts.

Sarah101's picture

Congratulations--the Queen now has a car-buyer on top of everything else.

I can tell you that the car won't change a thing. Except that if your girlfriend continues to be the registered owner of the car, she will receive all SDs speeding tickets and parking tickets in her name. And if SD18 gets into an accident with the car, your girlfriend will be the one sued for damages.

Just keep your distance and watch the situation unfold. Soon the car won't be enough for SD18, and there will be other excuses for not having a job. Your girlfriend will continue to believe that the problem with her daughter can be solved by giving SD18 what she wants. The list of demands will grow.

soverysad's picture

And who will be helping the wife pay for her new car? And who will pay for SD's insurance? And what is the rule before handing the keys over to SD? Does she need to land a job first or does she get the car outright? And why does she need a car, she finds a way to her parties?

Elizabeth's picture

I can tell you, I didn't have a car of my own until my sophomore year of college, and I bought it. But I worked since I was 11. SD can walk, ride a bike, ride the bus, pay someone to pick her up. It IS possible. I worked at a veterinary clinic, a retail store. I babysat, I cleaned houses, I mowed yards.

The car is an excuse, and your mate bought into it by GIVING SD a car. This isn't going to fix anything, and it certainly isn't justified by her behavior. Good luck, but if something doesn't changes soon SD is going to be mooching off your mate for the rest of your life.

Chawk610's picture

I hear all of you, and I believe you are right. I am going to have to sit and watch this go down. The SD has no license...can't get one because of warrants, can't pay warrants because of no job. It is a horrible cycle created by both of them. All I can do is make sure my two are taken care of. Boy, this blended family stuff is for the birds!

Elizabeth's picture

Hold on, hold on! You say SD has no license but her mother intends to give her a car! What the hell is going on. And what's going to happen once SD has this car and no license? She's going to drive it, right? Is your girlfriend willing to be liable if SD hits someone?

Shannon61's picture

Nip her behavior in the bud now by having a long conversation with your girlfriend. My 26 year old SD lives with with me and DH. I moved in with them in 2008, and have no children. Even though she has a job, her own car, and pays a small amount for rent (less than $100) since she's lived with her dad she's had no chores. When I moved in, we all agreed upon chores, and time and time again she's refused to do them. Since I was the one who insisted on structure she resents me and the feeling is mutual. After giving DH a good tongue lashing about how good he's been to her, how she takes advantage of him and walks all over him, but won't lift a finger to do her chores, he became infuratied and told her "you can't live here without making a contribution to the household chores." She did her chores but got mad and didn't speak to him for a week. This is what happens when you coddle your adult children. It's just a matter of time before DH will have to talk to her again about her chores because she's lazy. I'm looking forward to her moving out (hopefully in a year or so) as she's an annoying slob. So talk to your girlfriend about enforcing boundaries and structure, or you'll likely be dealing with this foolishness for years to come. And SD will still be living at home at age 30!

Chawk610's picture

I cannot imagine having to deal with that from a 28yr old. In my head I imagine her living with us till 20 or so... but I could be dreaming.

Chawk610's picture

OK... "SD" left Friday night to San Marcos (4 hours away) with people we do not know and still is not home... I suppose I should be happy but cannot help but worry, I mean, she is god knows where with god knows who doing god knows what!!!!!