You are here

how is this supposed to work

jennifer0217's picture

so my boyfriend's ex has issues with me disciplining her children. He went to court this morning and the judge says for me not to. how is this supposed to work when we have the kids all but one day a week and we also have my daughter full time and a child together and im the one who is home with the kids the majority of the time. am i supposed to keep my children in seperate rooms so they dont turn out like those little brats? just cause she lets her kids be little jerks doesnt mean i want mine to be that way?

my-looney-tune's picture

That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. I guess you'll just have to keep the kids seperated. :? or put them in daycare while Dad is at work. That's what I would do!

bakluba's picture

yeah, that is what i would suggest.daycare. ex would have to help pay probably. If u would do as the courts say to do, i'd think that your kids will grow to think that u like sd more. whats up with this system. If u "wait until your father comes home"... there may not be a home. best wishes.. i bet the ex is laughing but wait til she cant control kid and comes begging... i'd say not a word.... and myloonytune....I like that saying.. mine isnt ended yet.... but many teardrops put me to sleep at nite.

smileygirl's picture

Step back. I did. I don't dicipline his children for any reason ever. I don't care to get involved in what I now see as their mother and faters problem. Repeat after me "Not my Kid. Not my Problem." In the event that the children misbehave, I tell DH that he needs to handle the situation and try not to care about how he chooses to handle it.

In the event that their behavior is effecting your child(ren), seperate them, yes. I try to treat them like I would neighbor children, since I can't dicipline them and I can't send them home - DS and I leave if their behavior endangers him or my sanity. The closet I ever get to actual dicipline is to tell them that their behavior is unacceptable, explain the correct action....then step back and tell daddy dearest.

smileygirl's picture

I'm sorry, I didn't even consider...I haven't read your previous blogs. Are you left alone with them? I just assumed that because you couldn't dicipline them, then obviously BM doesn't trust you with them alone at all.

If you are left with them alone, then NO that won't work. Mommy and Daddy will just have to make child care plans that don't include you. There is dicipline at any daycare of sitter. I would never want my child to spend time alone with someone who couldn't/wouldn't dicipline him.

jennifer0217's picture

Its not that she doesnt trust me, she knows that I would never do anything to hurt her children. her problem is me, we were friends at one time. ive actually known her since we were probably 14 or 15, we grew up in the same small town. she doesnt consider the kids at all, she just hates that im with her ex and we are happy together.

blendedfamilyinsanity's picture

I cannot believe a court would actually say something like that. I mean most of what I read says try to limit discipline but come on if you have them full time what are you suppose to do. Especially when they say to treat all kids the same.....right....like that will be possible if you can’t discipline them! That has to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard. KIDS NEED DISCPLINE/ BOUNDARIES TO FEEL SECURE! Maybe I will grow, and eventually have the motto "not my kid, not my problem" but as long as they are in my house it is my rules! I have read family meetings are good to have, or posting family rules inside the house, this way if they screw up they know the consequences.

purpledaisies's picture

Well since all this happened and you are not 'allowed' to make them mind I would tell dh that he needs to find someone else to keep his kids. As I am not 'allowed' to even have baby sitter status. I would then not be home for a while to be available. Go shopping, }:) }:) }:)