You are here

Could I be held responsible?

step23boys's picture

Hi All, I have a question about the liability of being a step parent. I have two SS, ages 14 and 16, living with us full time. My DH has 100% custody. My SS16 is an habitual truant and I think we may be called into court pretty soon. (We've received four truancy notices. DH is doing nothing about the problem.) Can I be held responsible for SS's truancy? I know that parents have had to pay fines/do jail time for stuff like this, and I'm wondering if I could be dragged into it or if it's DH sole responsibility in the eyes of the court. Someone told me that with stuff like this the parent can sign over the responsibility to the child, but I don't know if I could do that, especially since DH wouldn't ever do that.

Also, could I be held responsible if someone gets hurt in our home? With summer coming, the teenage SS and their friends will be spending plenty of unsupervised time at our house. (Not my choice, but again, DH does nothing about it.) We discovered that one of their friends had tampered with some decorative samurai swords displayed in our home the other day, and I'm worried that someone could get really hurt, especially since DH has not laid down any ground rules with the boys about having friends over when we're not home. We also have a pool, and I'm worried about the safety of that as well. If something happens, is it solely on him, or could I be held responsible as well?

knucklehead's picture

Truancy: No, I don't think you can be held liable.
House: Yes, you and your homeowner's insurance would be liable.

Helena.Handbasket's picture

Is your name on the house? Yes, you are responsible.

Truancy, I can't see how they could put that on you.

step23boys's picture

Thanks for the fast input. My name is not on any paperwork for the house or homeowner's insurance, etc. (Which is fine by me.) That being said, is it only the person who's name is on the paperwork who is held responsible?

step23boys's picture

I live in California, so yes. My name is not on the title, (the ex-wife's name was) and in the divorce the judge said she'd be entitled to half if we sold it. Does that still mean I could be held responsible in some way?

step23boys's picture

Thanks for the fast input. My name is not on any paperwork for the house or homeowner's insurance, etc. (Which is fine by me.) That being said, is it only the person who's name is on the paperwork who is held responsible?

LizzieA's picture

The owner of the property is liable. But of course you are married--so whatever happens to DH, happens to you! (if you are sued for example)
This is reason enough for you to set ground rules. Nightmare if some kid gets killed at your house!

my.kids.mom's picture

DO NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT allow kids over when no one is there. With a pool? NO WAY. I grew up with a pool. I was a swimmer. But my parents weren't stupid. Kids ARE. If DH won't listen to you, go to the police dept and see if someone there can knock some sense into him. Or fire department. If they don't have their own stories, they can make up some good ones. I was a lifeguard and saw a video that would change his mind. Have no clue what it was called, but it's out there.

Regarding your house, I'd be concerned about things getting stolen.

smdh's picture

This!

not2sureimsaneanymore's picture

I'm guessing they are, perhaps one of them studies iaido or another form of sword art. Fdh does so we always have one or two lying around the house. I suppose it will depend on if they're sharpened or not... Having heard the horror stories of high ranking teachers accidently slicing their own hands when they drew or sheathed, I am in no hurry to get near one. (Some are so sharp that they'll cut you without you applying much pressure to them.)

Someone is of the age to receive the 'it's not a toy' talk and a lesson on weapons safety. As kids, my sister and I were around decorative knives and such a lot because my dad collected them but we were always clear on the fact that they were off limits.

Still, hearing about kids playing with it freaks me out!

Orange County Ca's picture

You are not responsible for a steps actions or failure to act.

As any homeowner you're responsible to insure a safe environment for kids invited over even by your step. Is it safe to hang a sword on the wall and expect a teen kid to not handle it?

99% of parents do these things and nothing comes of it. 1% or whatever find out that they're responsible. Its a "attractive nuisance" problem. A knife in your kitchen won't be touched but give a kid a chance at a sword and they'll out back whacking arms off.

Bolt them down.