You are here

Scared in MA

rockermom's picture
Forums: 

I'm in the middle of a nasty custody fight with my XH2 for my younger 3 kids. We live in MA, but he is a local politician.

I'm wondering how biased the MA courts are. I've heard that MA favors women, but I have a history of domestic violence from XH2, XH2 hit and molested my oldest son (XH2's stepson), and I still can't get custody of my younger 3 kids with XH2. I've been fighting this for months, and I'm going broke on lawyers. Part of the problem is that XH2 PAS'd our kids, to the point that they lie to their attorney and say that I'm abusing them. They lie and say that I hit them, and they say that I make them do all of the housework. Uh, each kid only has 1 chore, and the house is messy because they DON'T do it.

I started this process in April of this year. Does anyone know about how long it will take to get a resolution one way or the other? What are my chances? If any of you have MA family court stories to share, I'd appreciate it, just so I know what I'm in for. Thanks.

uncommon's picture

Tell the judge you want a Guadian Ad Litem assigned to your case. If you think there are issues with PAS, I would ask the judge if the children can be put in counseling, they are more likely to talk to a friendly stranger about their problems than either of their parents in a situation like this.

Don't give up - if you truly have been doing your best and taking good care of your kids, I am doubtful that a judge in Massachusetts will take them away from you entirely.

HadEnoughx5's picture

We had a custody evaluation done and the psychologist's report (which is shared with the court) showed that BM was alienating her daughter from BF and had begun the process with the youngest son. Courts do not like to see either parent being alienated. It's important that you are able to show the evaluator and the court that you would do what is in the best interest of the children and that you see it important that the children have a relationship with their BF and that you would never do anything to compromise that.

We are going back to court again because BM has not done anything in the way of stopping the alienation and has violated CO's. The last time we were there the Judge threatened to take the kids away from her. The Judge clearly said to her several times "You (BM) have everything to lose and He (BF) has everything to gain here"

Good luck to you and hang in there!