You are here

wow

Thursdaysarethebestdays's picture

Last Thursday morning, DH found out SS 8 got into trouble for tripping a kid during recess. The teacher says he was being a poor sport and stuck his foot out to trip the kid when he couldn't tackle him. Additionally, she said he refused to admit guilt and claimed the boy "ran into him and then fell".

DH policy is for the kids to write an apology when something like this happens. Its usually just a sentence or two but it makes the kid reflect on what they did.

Since SS only goes to this special program once per week, we had to wait until today for ss to write his apology.

SS says "mommy told me what to write when I was at her house". SS pulled the letter out his bag and it says

"Dear teacher, can I have 2 months without recess instead of the rest of the school year and I promise not to be bad during the 2 months?" Love SS8

What the heck?!

SMof2Girls's picture

I don't get it. Did the teacher say SS couldn't participate in recess or something?

Sorry, yes, SS was threatened with no recess for rest of school year. The teacher says she wanted him to see the magnitude of the behavior. The teacher also told DH she never intended to make SS sit out for the whole year.

So BM had SS write a letter to ask for a lighter punishment.

No apology, just a request for leniency.

twoviewpoints's picture

Hmmm, interesting. The actual apology of course is missing, but I suppose BM was not taking the incident seriously and that the big bad teacher was 'picking' on her little boy.

I think now kiddo should be writing two letters. One to the necessary apology including exactly what kid is sorry for. Second one to the teacher after he turns in the ridiculous letter SS's mother helped him write. He can explain to his teacher that he's suddenly had second thoughts on that letter and that also sincerely sorry for thinking such a insincere letter would be acceptable.

You might be right, BM thinks everyone picks on skids, even DH. But that's something she should take up with the teacher, not through as letter.

And since I know how ss is, I know for a fact that he does not lose with grace, by any means. And when he thinks he's about to lose, he'll do whatever it takes to win, which is scary. Which is why when he admitted to us that he really did stick his foot out and trip the boy because he was too fast for him too catch on the previous tries, I knew he was absolutely serious.

twoviewpoints's picture

dup

Anon2009's picture

I hope the other kid is ok! Maybe SS needs to be kicked out of the program. Writing another letter, as another poster suggested, might help too.

Shame, shame, shame on BM for not using this as a chance to TRULY help her child and teach him how to lose with grace.

The other kid is okay, teacher said she's not sure the other kid even realized what had happened when he fell, but she watched the entire thing.

We talked to SS about the possible ramifications for him and also for the other kid if he had been hurt. DH also made ss write a new letter, one that apologizes for the behavior and also says "I understand this was wrong because xyz and I know what I did does not show good sportsmanship", a word he knows from the basketball league at our church.

But first DH talked to SS about how his first letter was rude and showed that SS only cares about himself and his punisment, not about what he did.