You are here

We lost our home, homeless in 4 days.

wife2's picture

14 months of marriage and we live check to pay check, with me holding 80% of the financial load due to my husbands " prior obligations and prior debt" Our rental home was with utilities 2000 a month...I saved up some money after a long winter of work and over time , I took my husband on a suprise trip/belated honeymoon for a week to the carribian , only to come home to have all MY bank account frozen by maintaince inforcment , apparently the ex wife / BM went back to court in the last several months and applied for an increase , my husband hasn't done his taxes for several years nor reported any updates Updates to child support inforcment people, so they nailed him 7,000.00 ( 25% award increase and took it from my bank account and seized his paychecks once they found out his new employees info. and gave her a automatic increase from 500 to 800 a month also . Im pissed off at ex-wife for her greed ( she's a business owner and goes to Mexico 4x a year) Im pissed at husband for not keeping his financial affairs in order prior and during our marriage , and I'm devastated that the home I tried to build for us in this first year of marriage was lost, we can't even afford rent... We had to give notice as we couldnt make rent and have to be out on the 15th. We don't even have money for a new place, the house is packed in storage unit and we are camped out in our living room to enjoy the last 4 days of a roof over our head...I'm 45 and homeless.

wife2's picture

No, my inlaws live across the street and have been avoiding us ever since we broke the news, his parents dont care, im nothing special to them or anybody in this family.... My job has been to make money , sd12 cant come over here when im home as she and bm dont like me, I just pay for it all....well I got laid off for the summer and only collect 2000 on unemployment insurance, its a far cry from the 6000 I make in winter time, my husband came with a ton on debt and most of that I was unaware of till after we got married, I stuck it out but this was the final insult to me and my checkbook....worst mistake I made was adding hubby to my bank account now im liable for child support too....not to mentiion the shit and abuse from sd12 and bm since the day we married, my inlaws love bm as she is so rich and successful ( she sank two men to get that way ) they bend over backwards for the bm/ex daughter in law....and watch me loose my home due to NO fault of my own.

amber3902's picture

You can't find somewhere to live on the $2,000 a month you get from unemployment?

Where are you located?

Helena.Handbasket's picture

I don't care how in love I am or how wonderful a person is. You will not fuck with my livelihood. I'm sorry to sound mean but get some balls and take charge of your stuff. A real man would not do this to his wife. Nor would a real woman so this to her husband. Don't need to leave him but you don't have to be legally tied to him either.

Rags's picture

Separate finances and consider a very quick divorce. No need to actually break up with DH but I would suggest a complete break from a legal and financial perspective.

I would not jump in the vortex of a flushed financiaal disaster toilet that your DH represents. Particulary since he failed to fully inform you of his financial condition before you married.

It would be one thing if you were both broke and just starting your lifes as young people. This situation is something else entirely.

Just my thoughts of course.

sterlingsilver's picture

I was in a similar situation then you but a bit different. We ended up borrowing money to get us into a lot cheaper of a place. Now we are living in a lower class neighborhood, on an acre and in a modular home, but we are so much more peaceful since we got rid of the stress we were under for over a year of paying 1600 for rent and bills brought it to about 2200 - 2400. I was/am still working two jobs. We consolidated all our debt, got the loan and had enough to pay rent-to-own on this place for 4 months. Now I am working my arse off to save for our next batch of bills, mortgage and slowly paying off the loan. It's not easy and is not for sissys to pull yourself out but you can do it. We also have exs who have stuck us with crazy monetary loss, ie. DH's ex somehow got 1500 from our tax return by making a long ago credit card debt look like over due child support, when in fact it was a credit card she maxed out buying clothes years before the divorce. She is an attorney and can figure how to do this shit. We went through the process of refuting it but it'll take months. You know what she did with that money? According to ss19 she went and had extensions done on her hair and her nails done. We sooooo could have used that money for feeding the boys. Then my ex who is behind in child support of course wanted to claim both boys as dependants but the court order says if he's behind in cs I can claim them both, so I did and my ex took me to court to have me compelled to amend, which I had to do and then his taxes came to me as child support. It was helpful getting that money but it went straight to paying debts. I will be praying for you that something breaks in your situation and you get into a place. Even if it's sorta dumpy and not your real style, it'll give you a chance to get your head above the water again. I've noticed family often does not come to help in situations like this. Sad but true.

Jsmom's picture

Get out of this marriage now! You were played....

Never put a man on your checking acct....Pre-Nup! Oh seriously, stories like this are exactly why DH and I have separate everything....Including houses, we live in his and rent out mine. Neither is on the other mortgage...

This sucks, but you have to put your big girl panties on and get out of this mess.

TASHA1983's picture

That is the best thing we can do to protect ourselves and our money/credit! The house FDH & I are currently buying is in MY name only and FDH's name is NOT on any of my bank accounts either.

I am on FDH's checking account BUT the only money that goes in that account is FDH's paycheck. Nothing else.

I will be DAMNED before/if I ever give BM/SKID any kind of foothold or access to MY money, belongings, credit, OR LIFE!!! FUCK THAT!!!!

EvilWickedSM's picture

Agree! DH and I have seperate accounts, and have since we married, and one that is used for stuff we pay jointly. For the joint bills one, we only put enough $ to cover the bills and pay them directly out of there. Doing things this way works beautifully for us and it's one less thing for us to fight about Smile

ocs's picture

we did something similar.

He pays a certain set of bills, me another. Financially, it is even and eliminates any joint anything.

That said- I was damn sure of his financial situation before getting married- we were both in a great position in terms of savings, equity... etc all of it.

I'm so sorry OP is going through this...

Helena.Handbasket's picture

Totally agree with rags. You cannot let his finances drag you down. It's going to get worse. You need to legally separate finances. Hess are reasons I will not marry SO until child support is over. He keeps up with it but he's terrible with finances.

RedWingsFan's picture

All I can say is I'm sorry. I went through similar things and later found out my husband was basically a thief. He stole from me, my daughter, our friends. He pawned household items to fund his drinking and whore habits. He moved us every 6-12 mos claiming it was for a new job opportunity, but in reality, I found out he was running from the IRS and CS. As of 2010, which was the last statement I got, he owed $40,000 in back taxes and $28,000 in back child support for 4 kids (3 of which I never knew about until years later).

Your best bet is to just separate finances. For me, this would be a deal breaker, but I'm not judging you if you stay in your relationship.

Good luck and I'm so sorry! Sad

SummerMomma719's picture

Why do you need a place where the rent is 2000 a month? tho i know some states you can get this huge house for like 150,000 and the same house in another state would go for 600,000. But just cut back your living an just live what you can afford

SanAntonioSoccerMom's picture

Ummm is it your bank account? How on earth can they take from YOUR bank account? Also, you need to file either "innocent spouse" or "injured spouse" forms, or whatever they are called in your state.

Rags's picture

Unfortunately CSE can take money from any account that the NCP is on. They can also pull money back from any account that recieves direct deposited CS payments too. They can probably collect overpayment of CS from any account that the CP is on.

This is why we set up an online account in my DWs name only. The only money that went in to that account was the CS direct deposit from DickHead's employer. We had an auto transfer to send the money to several other accounts as soon as it was deposited. The bank we used allowed for $ZERO balances in the online account and we kept it at ZERO.

We did this when we read the small print from CSE that said that they could reverse any eroneous deposits associeted with CS. The beauty of our online account is that it did not allow for overdrafts to occur so when there was $ZERO in the account $ZERO could come out of the account.

There was no way in hell we were going to allow the bottom 10%er government minions that tend to work for CSE to take a penny from our accounts without our knowledge.

Fortunately there was never any eroneous over payments of CS though shortages were regular before direct payroll withholding/deposit went in to effect.

SanAntonioSoccerMom's picture

She can still claim "injured spouse" with the state. Her money should be deposited into a sole account immediately.

Injured Spouses

While filing an "Injured Spouse Affidavit" can protect a spouse who should not be affected by a garnishment, this typically happens most in tax situations. However, a spouse with a joint bank account that may be garnished to satisfy debt, such as child support, can file the "Injured Spouse Affidavit" to stop garnishment. The document is signed in front of a notary and delivered to the state child support enforcement agency and filed with a court clerk.

The Long and the Short

While a joint account with a spouse is one way for their finances to be affected by child support garnishments, there is still a limit to how much can be garnished, particularly when employment wages are deposited into an account. Since the obligor supports a spouse, federal law prohibits child support enforcement agencies from garnishing more than 60 percent of disposable earnings (earnings after taxes and necessary expenses). Additionally, bank accounts with $150 or less cannot be garnished. Without joint account status, a spouse's wages cannot be garnished independently because of a partner's child support obligation

Read more: Can Child Support Garnish My Spouse's Bank Account? | eHow http://www.ehow.com/info_12005900_can-child-support-garnish-spouses-bank...

Craving Normality's picture

Many of these men with children and failed relationships behind them seem to be financial F..k ups. Mine is too. Why is that? Is it the pressure of Child Support, because I look at things this way, I am a widow, and I was raising 2 children on my own with no cs support (obviously). So, with taking on the ENTIRE expense of my children, I managed, and managed quite well. Now I am with this guy who is completely messed up with his finances. It just seems so common here. I will not ever join finances with him, and do what a lot of others do here, everything separate, split the household bills.

ocs's picture

I think it is 60 days in Canada, but there is also a catch in tenant rights' laws that states you can't evict in winter.

I've heard stories of landlords (to get non paying tenants out) turning off water and electricity, then compelled to put back on during the winter.

ocs's picture

with all due respect- these are the reasons that some renters have been given a bad name.

AND if she is in Canada- there are shelters that provide emergency housing for families. You don't fleece the landlord and potentially bankrupt the landlord. These agreements are entered into with best intentions.

ItsGrowingOld's picture

Oh my. What a mess. If I were you, I would file for innocent spouse with the IRS. Particularly as it relates to your DH's taxes and back child support b/s.

Here's a link on what governs innocent spouse:

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc205.html

Good luck and (((HUGS)))

jaal's picture

I have no advice but I just wanted to offer my apologies for the horrible mess this has all put you in. Sad