You are here

Since we are a SParent community. Some suggestions for SParents

Rags's picture

Since we are a SParent community. Some questions/suggestions for SParents

1. What is the problem we are trying to solve?
    1. This one is simple. Just a short sentence describing the problem
  2. Will doing nothing solve the problem?
    1. Again. A simple one.  Just a short assessment and answer of the likely outcome of doing nothing

Make a decision -  Take action on the decision

Action option 1: Do nothing

Action option 2+: Do something

If doing something,  Progress to line 3 below

1. Who or what is causing the problem?
    1. Keep it simple, brief and clear.
  2. What action(s) that we  initiate will most likely begin the change/resolution?
    1. This can be as complex and comprehensive or as simple and direct as we choose
    2. Develop the action plan(s)

Excute the plan.

1. Revise and adjust based on effectiveness of action

IMHO:

1. If something is worth investing the time to complain about, it is worth addressing.  Simple is less invasive on our minds, time, personal health, and quality of life than is complex.  Keep it as simple and direct as possible.
  2. Doing nothing has nearly zero chance of solving the problem.
  3. Just some thoughts.

2Tired4Drama's picture

But many of the problems most presented here on STalk are ones which are beyond control of most SParents, thus they feel a need to "vent" - which is an important distinction.

You have a very logical, rational and male-oriented approach to many situations, Rags, which is greatly appreciated here on STalk as it is an injection of reality which many people find useful, including myself.  

But. Most posters here are women who are dealing with other women (BMs, SDs, MILs) about relationship issues and that is a much different communication environment. Direct approach may not be the most optimum approach. Thus, there is a need to "vent" and just let off emotional steam which can be very helpful both mentally and otherwise. I've been on here for a long time now and its been helpful to have a place of like-minded others who KNOW what it's like and can understand the reason behind postings that can be petty as well as those of a more serious nature. 

I was not surprised to learn that the oldest living culture on the planet has "avoidance" practices where (for example) mothers in law do not speak directly with their daughters in law. They've been doing this for more than 40,000 years so that's some indicator of success. 

In fact, disengagement (doing nothing/avoidance) may be the only way to reach a truce for many situations. In my own personal experience, saying nothing and refusing to get involved has been the best solution to preventing problems.

IMHO, an important consideration which many do not take, is to NOT GET MARRIED or co-mingle assets if someone wants any chance of a relationship to succeed.  There have been times my SO has done something (especially financial) in regards to SD that I am absolutely aghast about but I don't say anything because it's not my money.  There are times I've been treated less than fairly as his partner, but I always knew if it became persistent I had the option where I could easily hitch up my horse and head out of Dodge without going through a costly divorce. 

Again, IMO and IMO only, the most important thing is to NOT have children with a prior parent unless and until you have many years of marriage under your belt and ideally, the skids are mostly launched or the bulk of financial support is due to end. 

Aniki-Moderator's picture

Not many would be willing to wait 10, 15, 20 years to start a family. After a number of years, some are too financially invested to leave.

Unfortunately, so many have already had a child together before the stepparent discovers the true situation. Older and in a hurry to start a family before time runs out. The BM doesn't ramp up until your engagement or marriage or new baby. The skids don't ramp up until your engagement or marriage or new baby. The new partner is a gaslighting narc who has been able to artfully conceal it until after the new spouse is expecting/already delivered.

Life is a gamble. We take many chances. Some win, some lose. My psycho exh was definitely a lose in marriage, but the life lessons I gained have been a constant win.

Rags's picture

Frequently I use it to decompress and reset.

Do nothing is always an option.  

I was just revisiting the frequent tendency for the community to work through a member's long term struggles with a common issue when ultimately the member with the struggle chooses to do nothing.  No one in particular.  Just a common theme for us as a community. 

Don't discount doing nothing. It gives you time to cool off; reassess. You yourself might be the factor that changes.  There are times when I do nothing except Wait. I've been told my long game is epic.

2Tired4Drama's picture

AND ... I agree with Aniki, too!  It is really situation dependent. 

In Aniki's instance, doing nothing AS A PURPOSEFUL STRATEGY and waiting out the b.s. or seeing what else will develop can be great - especially if others expect you to react in a certain way. That's similar to what disengagement is. You don't do or say anything and avoid engaging in situations unless absolutely necessary. 

But I also agree with Rags that there are indeed community members who have a specific situation, are given the same advice over and over with lots of input from many people, and yet they do nothing. Except continue to bring the issue up. Or get upset and defensive if you ask why they repeatedly won't listen to common reason. 

I've learned over the years to stop providing input for these kinds of people as it's a waste. Same goes with "one hit wonders" the day-old members who have only posted once and never come back again.  I may still give advice but I try to keep it succinct since I know they may never respond or be involved with STalk again. 

Yes, there are definitely those who ask for and receive the same advice. And while venting has its uses, people tire of repeating themselves. Which is a shame because if that person has a new problem, it might not receive as much attention because others stopped reading.

Miss T's picture

... doing nothing (or ignoring, which is even better) and selective deafness are my go-to's.

And yeah, the whiners get at most one response from me. I can be selectively deaf online, too.

Ispofacto's picture

It's cute that you think logical/rational are male traits despite all the evidence here and everywhere indicating that men/women are equally irrational.

Miss T's picture

... is the assertion that these traits are male.

Love ya, OP, but geez.

This may seem logical, but it's oversimplified.

How many humans can live their lives in such an unfeeling manner and follow a little flowchart? Humans are often not logical when emotions are involved. And that "revise and adjust"? That's everything in life, both big and small. Your job, late to work because the bridge washed out, your friendships, unexpected home repairs, a new pet,, avoiding an accident while driving, health issues, a sick/dying family member... 

The only thing we can change is ourselves: our actions, our expectations. You can ask another person to change - lose weight, stop smoking, start reining in your kids - but the reality is that they will only make those changes if/ when they themselves want to do so. And those who do so at the demand of their partners frequently backsliding and may revert back to the same ol' same ol'.

Unruly skid? The NCP may not discipline for any number of reasons. Disney parent, is a 'freestyle' parent who believes it will all work out in the end, terrified of upsetting the CP who will make life hell for the NCP and (possibly) the skids, paralyzed with anxiety (much like someone who is overwhelmed with a mountainous task)...

We could discuss for hours all of the varying factors that leave your flowchart at the wayside. There are those of us whose entire lives have been "revise and adjust". I am 58yo and have never stopped. Like a willow, I can bend.

Rags's picture

Though it can cloud solving problems.

Which, time for the usual Rags broken record moment, is why I advise focusing on behaviors. SKid behaviors, BM behaviors, BioDad behaviours, our own behaviors, IL behaviors.... Whatever is present at an intolerable level.  IMHO that allows for a specific cause and effect relationship regarding the problem and it allows for the discussion to reference behavior rather than feelings.

It is not 100% effective, but it helps me separate the actions from teh emotion. 

I work through the emotion in discrete as separate as possible sessions while working the problem.

When the problem is reduced, the emotion can align to more real time.

At least that is how I try to make it work for myself.  In regards to the blended family dynamic anyway.

Humans are emotional creatures. Yes, emotions can make life amazing, but they can ruin it, too.

The only behavior we can control is our own. Parents may be able to exercise some control over their children (especially when small), but that's about it. Not the stepparent; the bio. Nothing like an enraged HCGUBM who calls her lawyer on speed dial because the evil stepmonster gave her snowflake a timeout! 

I can let someone know I find their behavior objectionable. Options:

• The behavior ceases. However, it is temporary solely as a means to appease or lure you back in. After time, back to square one. Stay and modify your expectations or leave.
  • The behavior ceases because that person wants to change. Don't be surprised if there is a relapse. And once they change, you may no longer be compatible. 
  • The behavior continues. I can modify my reaction/tolerance or I can choose to not associate with that person. That could mean the end of a friendship or partnership. When that person is your partner's adult family member or ex, choose to not participate. 
  • The behavior continues. These are children. It is not my responsibility to parent or even babysit your child. Anything I choose to do is out of kindness, but will stop when I feel used or unappreciated. 

Not everyone has a partnership where they are on the same level and part of parenting the skids. How many times have you read "I never wanted kids but..."?

IMO , what is often overlooked or successfully concealed is that your choice is not ready to be a partner and is looking for a substitute with the expectation that all transgressions will be overlooked because...instant family. A new baby compounds leaving as does someone who left everything behind (job included) and is financially dependent on the partner.

Survivingstephell's picture

I think a "flow chart " can be a life saver when you are in so deep inside the emotions you can't find a way out.  Let's face it, some of the players in these stories up the emotions to manipulate and if you have never experienced this in your life, it's a mind F.  BTDT.  It's a tool. Not one that should be ruled out but employed if needed.  Healthy people have lots of tools to rely on. 

Notthedoormat's picture

Can help with objectivity and clarify what the problems actually are when you're in the thick of it. Of course our emotions have to be factored in, as well as the emotions of the other people involved because those are contributing factors. 

I know I often sound like a broken record when I post because the issues I have are generally centered around the same people/events.  I'm venting and sharing fears, experiences and what have you. And there are some 'victories' along the way.

I appreciate every morsel of input I receive and I hope my responses are validating and helpful to someone else when they're feeling unheard or desperate for validation. 

Doing nothing can definitely be a valid way of proceeding,  especially when taking an action may do you more harm than good in the long run. And sometimes its 3 steps forward,  two steps back in the long game, waiting for things to play out before you see some desired change.  

In the end, just being able to analyze with objectivity can help.