You are here

Was accidentally called by BM's name twice yesterday.

cmamma's picture

My DH called me by her name accidentally and then his aunt did. It was the worst. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

cmamma's picture

Well she seems to be a topic of conversation on the reg. So ya, we were just talking about her. I still got hurt though, this is the second time he has done this in a year. And they were together for 18 years. His aunt just slipped and said it when we were at the pool with the skids, she felt so bad, and said, OOPS well they were together for a really long time! LOL oh well good thing I have a good sense of humor!

MamaBecky's picture

My DH has never called me by his ex's name (although I have called him by my ex's name a cpl of times) but my MIL and SIL's do it on occasion. I use to get really upset but now I don't. The fact is that the ex and I look alike and she was with him for 6 years...so it slips. They have never done it maliciously. I will say that a month or two ago my MIL was asking DH something in regards to the ex and refereed to her by my name....that made me LOL! Smile

Rags's picture

Yep, the first few years of our marriage I referred to my wife by my XWs name a couple of times (4+yrs after my XW and I divorced) and my wife referred to me by my SS's BioDad's name a couple of times.

This has not happened in quite a while and we are approaching our 16th anniversary.

For us it was not a big deal. When it happened we gave each other a bunch of crap about it and teased each other but neither of us meant anything by referrring to other by the Xs name and neither of us was particularly upset about it.

Best regards.

Snowflake's picture

Actually I get called BM's name ALL of the time...

We have the same name Smile LOL

Now there have been a few times where I have almost called DH by my ex's name. But I caught myself - THANK GOODNESS!!! That would not have gone over well.

Snowflake's picture

Actually I get called BM's name ALL of the time...

We have the same name Smile LOL

Now there have been a few times where I have almost called DH by my ex's name. But I caught myself - THANK GOODNESS!!! That would not have gone over well.

stepmomap's picture

haha Nope. When we are fighting I call him by my ex's name. He was intruducing me to someone who he went to Iraq with and totally forgot my name. I don't know which is worse. Ok it would have to be him calling by ex's name.

flatbat's picture

has happened to me as well, we were having a heated discussion and he slipped and called me her name. I was upset at first, but after had to laugh that he only associated frustration and anger with her name.

stepgin's picture

My DH used to do that to me all the time! In his defense, our names are VERY similar and I could tell he always felt terrible about it. After a year of saying, "it's okay, honey" he still would do it once in a while. So after that, when he called me her name, I would say, "don't worry about it, Bob!" Which is his dad's name. We would both have a laugh about it. Got to keep your sense of humor.
By the way, he doesn't do it anymore! Smile

oneoffour's picture

GUILTY!
We have been married 6 yrs. I think he called me his exs name a few times. I just say "Me D****, her K****" He apologises, we laugh and move along.

But then I have done it a LOT esp when under stress or tired. Usually is is just in passing and he sees nothing subversive in it. As he says, we were both married 18/20 yrs to someone else who shared our lives.

The funny thing is last week I referred to my ex by my husbands name ... "I better get DD to call F***, oops I mean A******!". DH just said "Well I guess it is a compliment to think I am your kids father!" But then my ex has told ALL my kids that whatever DH says is to be taken as coming from exs mouth. He 100% trusts DH with his kids.

My ex lives in Tasmania, we live in the USA. I am such a ditz it is better we aren't living closer!

As long as I aren't screaming out the wrong name at the wrong moment!