You are here

Urgent Perspective Required

timmytee's picture

Dear All, I possibly should have contacted the list many years ago before it got to this state of total despair but now I am truly at the end of my tether & I just need some genuine perspective on my situation. I'm in a daily mental hell from which I can't see the light and I feel like I cannot go on anymore. In a nutshell I have been in a step father role for a SS whose biological father ran off when he was born & to this date has not paid one red cent of child support. As a consequence for approx. 19 years I worked very hard to support & protect my DW & the SS. From early on I thought the SS was a nice little boy & I felt sorry for him so I believed since I genuinely loved his mother I should do anything I could to protect him & give him a chance at a good life, a good education & provide a nice roof over his head so to speak. I also knew who his BF was & knew of his many crimes against the women he would rope in for short periods of time before leaving them devastated both financially [as in stealing money off them] & then leaving a biological gift of which there are now many & he has done this for more than 20 years on an International scale. As the years went by it became apparent that there was an odd conflict between my Wife & her Mother & it was a struggle over my Wife's son, which was indeed very strange.
The Grandmother became so obsessed with her Grandson & this led to a tussle that ended in court with her accusing us of being heroin junkies in an attempt to wrestle the Grandson away from his Mother. The Grandmother tried to gain sole custody & even went to the extreme extent to convince the court that she was the true biological mother & it went downhill from there, but in the end it was thrown out of court for obvious reasons. By that time the damage had been done but because my Wife's parents are quite wealthy they could afford to keep us in court for as long as they wished until the Judge realized what was going on. The kid appears to have been old enough to understand what was going on & he played his Mother up against his Grandmother with me trying to keep the peace in the middle. The result was that he was spoiled rotten by both women in what with hindsight now appears to have been a battle to see who would spend more money on the kid to win his affections. I was forced to chauffeur the kid to school till he was almost 17 until I could not take it anymore & I then steadfastly refused. The kid regularly skipped school, stole my money, disrespected me on the most disgraceful of levels & all the while his Mother turned a blind eye to it all because it seems she did not want to upset him. She always said I was the problem not him & that I just hated him for no reason & that I only wanted to cause both of them trouble.
This bizarre situation has taken my money, my time, my self-respect, my sanity & possibly now my life. My Wife said she had to have two abortions because her living kid had to come first so I have now lost the chance to bring my own son or daughter into the world & I am devastated by that. My Wife simply says that I would not have been a good father & I did not want kids anyway, which is news to me & not true. The icing on the cake of all this madness & this is just a summary because it would be too voluminous to go into all the odd things I have experienced in the past 19 years, the icing on the cake was when the kid discovered night clubs at 17 & he threw his education that I paid for in the bin to hang out at cafes & nightclubs all thru his final exam year. When he failed the exams we had to have a meeting with the School Principal & this is when we first find out what really had happened, that he was hanging out spending our money in cafes during the day & then in nightclubs during the night, we had no idea. He begged & cried to his Mother to let him repeat the final exam year & she relented only for the same thing to happen again. Then he had no choice but to leave school & this is when he expected me to foot his bills while he continued to party on, refusing to look for work. He also discovered cars & that he needed one so he begged his Mother for a new car. I steadfastly refused but that only spurred on his Grandmother who went behind our backs & bought him a brand new car to the tune of US$35,000.00. I could not believe it, he was rewarded with a new car of that value for failing school twice & not because he was handicapped or mentally challenged, it was because he was a spoiled brat who believed his step father [me] & the world in general owed him a living.
So since receiving the car his bad behaviour ramped up to run-ins with the law, albeit petty traffic incidents at this stage but nonetheless they're a prelude I believe to something worse. He has rewarded his Mother on Mother's Day with total disrespect & fowl language. Despite the disgusting way in which he treats his Mother he managed to sweet talk her into giving him US$7,000.00 for a trip to New York for his 21st Birthday [& we do not live in America]. I was so shocked at this & when he came back from his US Holiday I refused to continue to fund his sponging partying lifestyle so we got into an argument & I must admit it was the first time I had attempted to seriously discipline him & I did get aggressive, even wanted to knock his head off, which I didn't, but he still called the police on me anyway & told them I had bashed him up, which was a lie. For years I have tried to correct him & also teach him the right way but his Mother would always accuse me of "causing trouble". It's the standard response. On the very day he called the police [60 days ago] I decided enough was enough & I kicked him out of the house. While I was out for the day he did indeed leave but was rewarded by his Mother with my prized Boston Acoustics Speakers. I only found out about that yesterday when I went looking for them in our garage., we're renovating at the moment so we had all our goods stored so it was not initially obvious that my Boston's had been stolen. This kid would feed on my dead carcass if given the chance.
I guess the reason I am contacting this list is after 19 years I feel totally betrayed & lost & I have suffered so much from just trying to help a kid out of a terrible situation & all I got in the end as a reward for my good deeds was being almost arrested by the police because I refused to keep funding the kid's lazy lifestyle at 21. The only reason the police did not arrest me is that they quickly realised what was going on & even stated "looks like we've got a spoiled son situation here" & then they left & my security cameras showed them laughing as they left my house, so I felt totally embarrassed. I actually stated to the police that I was a successful businessman who had ponied up for 19 years all the child support that the BF should have paid plus much, much more & they agreed that the SS should have called them to investigate his BF not investigate me. So I ask this list for help, help from a barometric P.O.V. cause I feel very isolated & I need to know if I am truly just "causing trouble" as my Wife says I am or am I right when I say to my Wife that the general consensus for common sense thinking people around the world surely must be that the kid is disgracefully spoilt, he has never been disciplined correctly & this is why we have a kid who continues to steal from & disrespect his family going forward. Please, anyone tell me what's right here & what's wrong, I've lost my compass on it all & don't feel like going on however I don't want to leave my Wife out of loyalty cause I do believe that she is essentially a good person & a very hard worker which I respect about her, but I don't know what to do or how to solve this & I just can't take it anymore.
Thanking anyone in advance who can give me some kind of perspective.

Orange County Ca's picture

The boy is a chip off his bio-fathers block as we say in America. It's easy to kick a step-child out its far harder to get a spouse to go along with it. Get on Amazon.com or Aussie Land's equal or local book store and get a book for mommy explaining how important it is for a parent to get a newly graduated kid out of the house. Good luck.

timmytee's picture

Thank you guys so far for taking the time to even write a few words, its comforting & helpful....

timmytee's picture

I think the only thing my Wife will then say in her sons defense is that the book is not valid because he didn't graduate. So I will have to find a book about kids that do not graduate & why its even more important to get them out of the house....:O(

timmytee's picture

Coddling is an interesting term I hadn't heard of before. His grandmother gave him a teddy bear for his 16th Birthday, I guess this is an example of coddling right?

timmytee's picture

& yes he has already been in court on driving offenses, my Post Office Box usually gets filled up with all the fines he receives from the Roads Authority. He even had the gall to represent himself i court & tried to sweet talk the Judge but the Judge would have none of it & disqualified him from driving for 6 months. He found it difficult to understand why he was not allowed to drive through a red light whenever he wished to.

timmytee's picture

& on the issue of my Bostons, she knows how important they are to me, I am an audiophile & speakers are like my children in lieu of having any real ones, so I think she was trying to send a message to me that for kicking him out of the house she would reward him with my pride & joy but I see it as simply stealing. The fact that he would even accept the speakers knowing they are my property is incredible, he is 22 & over the years he has always played the dumb act but at 22 I think that's rubbish, he's no longer innocent but my Wife keeps defending him as if he is, she even stated the other day "I don't know why you hate him so much, he's such a nice guy", I truly could not reconcile that one.....

timmytee's picture

Yes, well I didn't expect to be told that but I am open to listening to everything, not just what I want to hear, so thank you for your feedback. With a lie detector attached to my arm, I truthfully declare that the only views & opinions I imposed on the lad was:

1. respect your Mother
2. respect your Father
3. respect your Grandparents & other people in general
4. get out of bed in the morning & go to school
5. do your best at school despite any academic challenges, providing you do your best that's all that matters
6. do not be evil & do not be lazy
7. work hard for your rewards
8. be honest & try to find your passion in life

That's truly all I tried to impart to the SS as far as an ideology is concerned & I also led by example where I could. I thought that this ideology was not specific to me but that most people on Earth would subscribe to this basic set of guidelines. But I am happy to stand corrected if need be, I just want to get to the bottom of all this & try to figure out how did I get to here. I said to the police that I was disappointed that they had not come to present me with a gold medal & when they asked me if I had assaulted him I said yes, I assaulted him by pointing to the sky, opening the heavens & raining tonnes of cash on his beautiful cherubic little head, so in that way I guess you could say that the weight of the cash did assault him, from a certain point of view :jawdrop:

timmytee's picture

Thank you so much, you're very lucky to have nice kids, I don't know what that experience could be like. Also, I've never been thanked for anything I've done for my family in 19 years, not even one of my birthdays or fathers day celebrations has been observed, so this is the first time I've got any acknowledgement, sad it has to come from a stranger but I sincerely appreciate the kind words all the same cause it helps a little & it confirms I'm not a troublemaker just a long suffering husband who tried to do the right & proper thing by my "family" Sad

Just getting used to the formatting here at ST, I realised I did not reply correctly.....thank you again lovn life.....

timmytee's picture

Thank you so much, you're very lucky to have nice kids, I don't know what that experience could be like. Also, I've never been thanked for anything I've done for my family in 19 years, not even one of my birthdays or fathers day celebrations has been observed, so this is the first time I've got any acknowledgement, sad it has to come from a stranger but I sincerely appreciate the kind words all the same cause it helps a little & it confirms I'm not a troublemaker just a long suffering husband who tried to do the right & proper thing by my "family" Sad

timmytee's picture

Thank you dtzyblnd, I appreciate you taking the time to help me, tee

Rags's picture

Sounds to me that you have this perfectly well defined and are now, finally, starting to deal with it effectively. Cut him off. Let him starve. If he ends up living under a bridge maybe, just maybe, he will find clarity. Write off the car, it is gone, he will sell it to float himself for a few more months, no more money, for any reason.

My own SS-21 (then 18) struggled with launching but for damned sure his mother nor I tolerated vitriolic disrespect. We provided him with a top tier education that he damned near flushed down the toilet. His Sperm Idiot hacked the boarding school firewall and SS and the DipShitIot played WoW all night, every night, for weeks so SS was comatose in class every day. He failed the first semester of his Sr. year of high school which was the final straw for his mom and me. We yanked his ass out of school at Christmas break, brought him home to our new town where he knew no one and gave him clarity that he had one semester to finish high school or he was gone. We took him on a tour of a few winter homeless camps in Philadelphia and told him that in May we either went to a high school graduation ceremony or we dropped him off at the homeless camp under the bridge with his new people. That scared the crap out of him and he graduated on time and with honors. Sadly not from the top 20 boarding school. Our local high school was the best in the state so it was not terrible by any means but it was far from the opportunity that he had cost himself.

That began our get the kid to launch journey. We told him to get in to university and we would cover all of his costs. Tuition, books, fees, room, board, a car, insurance, etc.... Nope, he was not interested. He told us clearly that he did not think he was ready to buckle down and that we would only be wasting our money on college for him. I respect him for that. We told him if he was not in school he could live at home rent and expense free but only if he had a job. Nope, not interested. So we made him our beck and call boy and loaded him up with a truly monumental ever increasing chore list. He tolerated that for about 5mos then joined the USAF.

He just completed year 3 of a 6 year initial enlistment and is doing very well. We did buy him a brand new car when he signed his deferred entry agreement. It was a combined high school graduation, Christmas, enlistment gift and our final contribution to his transition to adulthood. Since he let us off of the hook for college by enlisting we figured reliable transportation was the last thing we could do for him. He is studying for his BS which is being paid for by the USAF and his veterans education benefits will cover undergrad or grad school if he decides to go that route when he finishes his USAF career.

For my SS it took finding a way to truly scare the living shit out of him to get him to understand that we were done with the bullshit.

IMHO your SS is past anything but a hearty bon-voyage from you and your bride. Let him suffer the consequences of his actions and decisions and no matter what, do not allow him back in to your home and do not provide him with a penny of support.
As for your MIL, you and/or your DW need to grab her by the short and curlies and provide her with clarity that she has contributed to the abject failure that is her grandson and if she does not pull her head out of her ass she will be out of your lives.

IMHO of course.

Good luck.

timmytee's picture

Thank you Rags, you make a lot of sense & give me a lot of clarity so again thank you very much. There is only one problem. The MIL is already out of our lives, so there is nothing I can say that will make her change, she is so nuts that she stole my Wife's clothing & then turned up at our house dressed precisely like her daughter, it really freaked me out. She is a certified basket case. Also, there is no way of scaring the kid. He will just laugh at us cause he's currently conning his grandmother into buying him an apartment [he tried it on me, I said absolutely NOT!!!]. he will never have to worry about money cause my MIL will fund him till the day she dies & she has already written my DW out of the will but I presume she will write my SS-22 into the will in place of his own mother. Its bizarre. I grew up very poor & I fought my way thru the worst schools & continued fighting for 25 years until I got success so i earned everything I have thru blood sweat & tears. The one thing I did not see coming was marrying into a wealthy family, I actually thought they could not have any problems cause they've already got everything but after my experience I'm starting to think that they have more problems than the lovely people I grew up with on the street. Its a really strange world,its hard to understand.

Rags's picture

Tim,

Though my parents started their marriage as broke kids they made the journey you describe yourself as making and the pressures on my brothers and I were different and far less than you have had.

Fortunately mom & dad did not tolerate much crap from their sons and gave us clarity and some very pointed and unpleasant lessons when we flirted with the path your SS is taking. We figured it out and have managed to advance on mom & dad's legacy. We are blessed to have mom & dad still in our corner to provide us with clarity when we attempt a relapse of the bouts with the Cranio-Rectitis of our youth.

As you indicate, it is a very strange world to understand. On one hand a notable number of people figure it out and succeed regardless of their background. On the other hand many people never figure it out, and on yet another hand (please grant me the benefit of three hands in this conversation) people who are provided with every advantage by hard working and successful families far too often screw it all up for themselves.

My family is comfortable though far from wealthy and mom & dad, my surviving little brother and I and our families are all doing well. Conversely my ILs are a lost cause when it comes to making even one viable economic decision. My bride struggles with guilt over her own hard won success (She holds a dual major BS, and MBA and has a successful career as a CPA) and the trials and tribulations that her parents and 3 younger sibs and their families eternally struggle with. I find it notably easier to let people suffer the consequences of their own behaviors and decisions than my bride does. Fortunately she and I are in agreement that we will not mitigate the learning curve of her family.

I have zero problems helping people who have earned that help by learning from their mistakes but I refuse to throw our hard won family resources down the black hole of waste that far too often idiots who refuse to learn represent.

Sadly I think your SS will run through much of GrandMa's fortune before her demise and the rest of it shortly thereafter. Stay the course and protect you and your bride from that impending train wreck.

IMHO of course.

Live well and be happy.

timmytee's picture

Thank you Rags, I think you're quite correct, the SS will be the happiest person in the world when grandma dies cause he will get whats left of the estate he is destined to plunder. Our family dog, who we loved so much, died in 2011. SS comes to the Vet with us & did a good job of convincing us that he was sad too, even managed some crocodile tears on cue, it was a brilliant performance, he even convinced me but that was because I was devastated & so upset I could not even think properly. We left the VET & had things to do so SS got home way before us since he was driving the brand new car that he earned for failing his final exams twice. When I got home there was an astounding level of music emanating from my house, this never happens. At first I thought it must be the neighbors behind us but as I got inside I discovered SS dancing around the living room, half naked, singing out loudly & weirdly with the music turned up to astounding levels. In the most joyful way as if it was a serial killer's karaoke session he danced & he pranced & as I watched all this from a safe vantage point it occurred to me that this was the happiest day of his life up till that point. I had actually never seen him this happy before, never. I realised that he looks at people like me, his BM his B-GM as people who are simply "in the way" of his potential lifestyle. I believe he was happy that our Dog died because I must admit we did spoil her & I think he was jealous of her, which is twisted it really is. Now at least all the money we spent on her dog food would now hopefully be spent on him. I'm convinced that if I was able to tell the whole story on this forum that my SS would get the award for most twisted disrespectful, dishonest & hateful sociopath ever noted by anyone here.

Maxwell09's picture

It sounds to me that you need to explain to your wife that her son doesn't care about her, you or y'all's property/boundaries. You need to pull up receipts and bank statements of all the money he's cost you for getting him out of trouble all these years. She can't argue with facts. Fact is he's not worth his cost. He's a hurtful and disrespectful human and the least he can do is show you both respect if he can't do that then both you and your wife need to let him go. Tell him to go live with his grandmother. She can deal with the monster she's helped create. I'm sure if your wife faces the facts as you've presented them here she know you are right. She might not change immediately but you can help her take baby steps. I'm sure once she realizes she doesn't have to be apart of your stepsons madness or be his victim then you both will have a better relationship. He's grown and should be able to be on his own. You should start acting like so too. Start taking your wife out to dinner and vacations away from all of it, act like most parents do when their children have grown up and moved on like they are suppose to. She'll enjoy the holiday and atleast you will be getting something out of the money that would be otherwise going to that rotter stepson. I wouldn't make her choose between you immediately bc he is her son, but if you give her facts and costs he's racked up and then show her that she doesn't have to deal with it then she might come around.

Rose.Colored.Glasses's picture

Everyone's right and have some very good points. Cut SS and, unfortunately, your DW from your funds.

not2sureimsaneanymore's picture

I... seriously can't get past how she had two abortions and claimed he wouldn't be a good father and has now ripped his chances of being a father from him. I seriously can't. This actually makes me want to cry and throw up because WHO DOES THAT?

I am pro-choice, don't get me wrong, BUT DON'T DO IT TO HURT SOMEONE.