You are here

"Till stepdaughter do us part" not "Till death to us part"

dulbec's picture

My emotions have been wrecked, and I feel like I have a knife sticking out of my back. My dh and I were together for 11 years and married for 10 years.  We have the whole yours, mine and ours at our home, and have never looked at the other's children as a step child. So they are our kids. They might not all share the same DNA but they all have our hearts. The ages of his kids when we got together was a girl 12(23)  and a boy 7(18). Mine were 4 (now 15) and 6 months(now 11) both little girls. 

We were together for 9 months when his kids flew from California to live with us in Texas. The problems started from the start.  He would not under any circumstances punish his kids, yet had no problem getting onto my daughter. I don't know about the rest of y'all but this did not sit to well with me, and yes the redneck side showed through and this lil' mama was fit to be tied. 

Well we got passed that. I never treated his children any different from my own. They are kids after all, and that was the rule in the family, no playing favorites, everyone gets treated the same. But if I would have known then what I know now, I would have told him just get the boy. lol Problems soon started in a major way after I discovered my husband and I were going to add to our clan.

In  2012, I found out I was pregnant, and I should have been on cloud nine but being that I had my 5th miscarriage that November, I wouldn't allow myself to get attatched. In july of that of that year, my dh and I were fighting yet again over you guessed it his kids. She was 16 then and I am  somewhat oldschool. I was the evil STEP MOM because her being the oldest I expected her to do chores which in my humble opinion is not too much to ask. It's expected. She only had to keep her  room clean, and picking up after herself.  I stressed and enforced with the younger children. She told her Dad that I was  singling her out and making her do everything while the youngers just watched( Cinderella syndrome much), and that I was harder on her and her brother than I was with my daughters. He left with his kids and I told him look when he can live for himself and do what makes him happy, instead of being her buddy all the time, then maybe we can work  out. He decided to leave first, I just told him ok don't let the door hit you on the way out. I refused to be treated like a slave, and be hated in my own house. Just not happening in my life. Well less than a month later my husband, SD, and his son were back home with the girls and I. Then we got to deal with the Oh I'm going to kill myself, because I don't like it here. We told her Look you can choose to be a part of this family, or you can go back to California  with your Mother. Well she went to go live with dh's brother and sister in law instead.

She had the ENTIRE family on her side, believing that I was horrible. Her lies were working too, until her Aunt and Uncle found out just how manipulative she can be. She got in trouble at her other school (with aunt and uncle). sexually explicit things, plus talk of physical violence against a teacher. My sister in law apologized to me and told me she was so sorry she didn't come to me with this. That is the thing I do not lie about anything, my Mom taught me well. So SD came back to live with us.  found out that month too that the baby I was pg with, was a boy, so of course my son was thrilled, since he'd finally have a little brother. Things were going well in the family for a bit. She was helping around the house, and keeping her grades at A's B's and C's. Then here came 9th grade. Her grades plummeted, I'm talking failing atleast 3 subjects at a time.  I thought it was just the adjustment from junior high to highschool. 

Manipulative as she is, and thinking it is cool to be a bad ass. She was on pot. Although we did not find this out later.This was when my youngest daughter  had found a journal of her's. I of course read it. Mind you I did not snoop for it. In it I found she was suicidal, been smoking pot, boys, making out with a girl and a guy in a truck, and also wanting to kill me in my sleep. So this turned into a phone call to my husband at work. He came home, waited for her to come home from school, and then went and talked to her, without me. Which I was fine with that. But anytime my dh ever said he would talk to her about things, he never did. His excuse was well I wrote things like that as a teen. I told him well saying she is going to KILL me and my kids that is not friggen normal. I told him and her in the same room if she ever raised her hand to me, she better make sure she can back it up. 

Failing on her report card or progress report she would be grounded for one week. That meant no going anywhere, no anyone coming over, no phone, no cell, and no computer. Grounding equals kid jail around here. But she found a way around it. She would say a friend was going to help her with school work. Or after groundings she would just ask her Dad. He would always say yes. And here I'd be sitting at home with the two youngest. The livingroom would be messy because of the younger ones playing, I'm still running around in my pj's, and then I have visitors at my house. I told my dh it would be nice if I would be clued in on what is going on in my own house, because I feel like a visitor half the damn time. She also skipped school too, and got busted. My dh said your grounded for a month. HA! It was not a month, not in the slightest. She would sweet talk her Dad, and he'd let her do as she pleased. 

One night, when she was at the movies with friends. She was supposed to be home by 11, and finally at 12:30 she came home. My husband was unglued, and silently in my head I was saying it is about damn time he finally gets fed up. He had been talking to her mother and she was going to go back to Guam this summer to visit. My dh had told SD that look you know the deal made between you and your mother, you have got to keep your grades up to stay with us. Well the grades got worse. I even emailed her teachers trying to find out about tutoring, or something to get her grades up to passing. When the teachers emailed me back and told me she would be passing if she put forth the effort and did her work. Yes I was upset. But once again he didn't stick with anything.  I told my husband that you need to do something with her now, because I can no longer deal with her. He said well we will give her 2 months to prove to us she can bring her grades up and start being a part of this family. I said ok but at the end of the school year if things are not going well then her Mom needs to have fun with the teen. This was affecting my relationship with my husband plus with the younger kids as well. I had found an  I found an empty tequila bottle in her room, a joint, and an empty wine bottle.  I am a livid at this point, because this room she shares with the younger girls. All I kept thinking was what if my 4 yr old found that bottle and drank it.  I called my husband and I told him I am glad you are coming home early (had a parent/teacher conference at the younger kids school) because if you weren't, I would have probably shook the crap out of her when she got home. So I had asked my husband later if he talked to her about it, and he said yes. I said well good now I'm going to have my say too, because this could have affected my baby girl's life, and she needs to realize that. I was proud of myself, I handled this conversation very well. Even though I was shaking, and just could not understand why she would do this to herself. When I explained what could have happened if her youngest sister would have drank the wine, she rolled her eyes at me. My composure went out the door, and I told her young lady this is serious and if you roll your eyes at me again I will come up out of this chair and slap the shit out of you. And yes my husband was sitting right beside me when I said this and he did not say a word to me. He knew better, and he had reached the end of his rope with her so to speak also. She had been buying pot at school then smoking it outside after my dh and I went to bed. Her excuse for this was because she was grounded, and she did this everytime she was grounded. I told her you will call your Mother and you will tell her everything. My husband told her you know your Mom was going to get you this summer, and she was not going to send you back in August because of your grades. She talked to her Mom that night, and my husband also talked to her. He told her look this is what is going on, and told her everything. He also said that if you got her now it would not affect her grades any because she is failing 3 classes, and in danger of failing the other ones. At the end of that school year she was sent back to California to live. Finally some peace. We tried to maintain our relationship with her but she hated me. That's fine but at least talk to your dad. Nope she hated him. He tried to reach out. He told her that first her she needed help(he was very involved), her grades had to change, and she had to apologize to the whole family for her actions. Regardless of how she acted I still loved her and wanted what was best for her.

Her dad and brother would fly to California to visit her on long weekends, holidays and breaks but she did not wish to see me. That hurt the most. She did stop her reckless beheviour and started to do great in school but she still had no wish to see me. I did not hear from her for 5 years. Her dad and brother kept in touch with her but she did not care about myself, my daughters who loved her and her 5 year old baby brother.

When she graduated from high school, she appiled for colledges in here and moved. She did not want to be in our home. It was been YEARS since she had move back with Bm but she was still angry. She moved onto the campus and worked there. She never once visited our home. Her dad and brother would always go to see her. She never once came to our home.

She got accepted into medical school. The whole family has so proud of her. She still did not speak to me. When I took the phone to congradulate her, she hung up. I had dare to think that she matured but she was still the manipulative brat that she always was. Everyone was fawning over her, and she began turning my in laws against me AGAIN. AND THEY FELL FOR IT. Since she was going such a great job outside of our home, the problem had to be within the home I.e 'Me'.

I wanted to at least meet up with her so we could talk things out and have a mature adult conversation but she just told me to stay away from her. My relationship with DH took a turn for the worst. Just fighting. I wanted him to tell us his daughter to respect me. I had thought that we were  a untited  front like we were when she was 16 and being reckless. NOPE. She turned him against me as well. He claimed that I pushed out his life and that I always wanted her gone. I tried to rebuild a relationship with her for the sake of my marriage but she refused. She had all of the fire power she needed. And she's done it.  Dh said that I always made her feel unwelcome and unloved.She made him choose between her and I and he picked her. I'm heartbroken and devasted. Our 7 year old son is now going to up in the broken home .No one is willing to see what's really going on. It's been 9 months since he filed. I feel hurt beyong repair. 

ldvilen's picture

I just finished reading your long post and read the last couple of sentences.  I feel so, so sorry for you.  I’m sending you many hugs, as you need them.

Although each and every story here is unique, like everyone else’s here, yours also shows a very familiar pattern—a manipulative, controlling or largely absentee mother and a head-in-the-sand, enabling Disney dad.  You stated this at some point in your post:  “. . . at the end of the school year if things are not going well then her Mom needs to have fun with the teen.”  Her mom should have been having fun with the teen a long, long time ago..  Both her mom and dad should have. 

There are far too many situations like this out there—where bio-dad and espcially BM get a pass on any and all of their behaviors, SM tries to make the best of a bad parenting situation, and in the end, mom and dad wind up being the heroes, while SM winds up being the Evil Witch.  My guess is that SD going on to medical school probably has more to do with your no-nonsense attitude than anything else, including absentee or checked-out mom and Disney dad.

This has to hurt horribly.  I always wonder with these men who claim they are leaving their wife for a child they have with their ex-, while they still have an “ours” child with their wife, what that really means?  Basically, your husband is an a$$ and he is trying to come up with an excuse, it sounds to me.  His daughter with his ex- supposedly has all of this value, but his son with you has so little?  Major league shiatsu!  If anyone is playing favorites, clearly it is him.

In my mind, this is yet another example of where SM/ DH’s wife is treated like sloppy seconds along with the “ours” children.  Happens far too often, and the really sad thing is, the only place you’d get much empathy is here on these pages, from other SMs.  Pretty much everyone else, like your in-laws, will drink the Koolaid and think that—yeah, intrusive SM is to blame for all of the bad, and, of course, BM and bio-dad get to take credit for all of the good.

The only thing I can advise at this point, and especially since it has been nine months, is that you get a good lawyer and make sure you and yours are taken care of the best they can be.  It sounds to me like you can put your gloves on with no problem if you want to.  If you haven’t already, now is the time to start.  Hugs again, and best of luck to you.  It seems to me the only problem you had in this situation was caring too much about someone else’s child. 

susanm's picture

Convenient revisionist history is very common in step families.  The skid gets older and starts to act decently toward the parent but holds a grudge against the stepparent.  Parent forgives and literally forgets all of the hell that they went through during the teen years and listens to the tale of woe about how mean SM was to the poor little darling.  They want to reap the benefits of the newly kindled relationship and so bond with the skid over shared outrage at the SM's past "abuse."  There have been countless members who have experienced this.  It is especially sad when there is a young "ours" child in the mix that the guilty daddddeeeee throws away.  I am waiting to see if my own SD will be able to pull it off in the years to come.  She is laying the ground work now so we shall see.  Luckily I don't have any children with my DH and I am making sure to monitor and point out the inaccuracies of the once every 3 month passive-aggressive texts she sends and stories she is "shopping" to her brother to gain his support.  Hopefully by being proactive I can prevent it but the need to reclaim these kids, especially the daughters, is insanely strong.

I suggest that you get a good attorney and make sure you get the settlement you deserve as far as property split and child support.  Don't fall for thinking that if you are "nice" he will realize his mistake and come back.  The lure of the now-successful child he "lost" coming back is far stronger than the love from the child he has always taken for granted and your relationship that grew comfortable.  It will be years before he realizes what he has done and by then it will be too late for you and your child.  Don't let yourself get screwed over by this vengeful girl and her blind father.

STaround's picture

I think god made babies so cute so we would not kill them when they become teens.  As much as OP says she treated the SD as her own, and I think she believes that, I dont think that it is even possible.  This is why most school districts try to avoid having teacher's kids in their class, it is human nature to treat your own kids differntly, and when a child comes into your house at 12, that kid will not be the same.   OP is clearly more focused on her own kids, and I suspect the SD saw that.   Threatening to slap a kid -- out of line. So when the younger kids become teens, get mouthy, etc., dad realizes that maybe his older kid was not so terrible, just within the range of a normal kid, and feels guilty. 

I agree that OP needs to see a lawyer.  Unless the DH has adopted her other kids, she will only get child support for the youngest one.   Not a long term marriage, so at best only temporary alimony, so she needs to focus on her career.  

susanm's picture

Alimony is a toss up depending on the state and the disparity in their incomes.  But they may have had a significant accumulation of property and retirement savings in the 10 years of marriage.  The settlement negotition is where many women fall down because they want to play nice and try to get the man to come back even when there is no real hope.  Sad

STaround's picture

She needs a lawyer, and not play nice.  I think the trend of using mediation screws women.  You need somoene to explain your legal rights and options.  

Absolutely, facts and state law will govern.  She says she lives in Texas, which has tough rules on alimony, but there may be community property.  She has 2 kids who are not his.  I hope she gets CS for them from their father. 

ldvilen's picture

It is complicated, but I don't think whether she treated the kid like her own is the issue or not.  I don't think anyone has the right to even expect a SP to treat someone else's child like their own.  It is just one of those sayings that many throw out there all the time, along with other sayings like, "My kids always come first."  Heck!, I've seen so many times where a BM is basically a sleep-around, partying drug addict, and then someone will throw out the term, "But she always cared about her kids and put them first.”  What the H-?  Really!?  Anyway. . .

When a SM says, “I loved them like my own,” what she is really saying is I put in years and years of hard work and did everything I could.  I may not have been perfect, but I did the best I could.  Why anyone would think that a SM is supposed to love someone else’s child like her own and the supposed fact that she does not somehow justifies ill treatment of her is beyond me.  Like most SMs, she cooked and cleaned and cleaned up someone else’s child piss, poop and such other from time to time, and now she is getting her a$$ kicked for a couple of perceived wrongs.

And therein lies the real issue.  That the bio-parents get a free pass on any sort of outrageous behavior, and not only from their own children by any means, while SM is held to some sort of asinine totally unrealistic standard.  I love the term "revisionist history" someone used above.  So, so true.  I guess I’d advise all potential SMs to realize that when they marry someone with children from a previous relationship, history in the household could and probably will be twisted and mangled beyond belief—with the result being that the bios will always be shown in the best possible light, while the SP will always be shown in the worst.  Revisionist history for sure.

STaround's picture

But I also think an issue can frequenlty be one of experience and ages of kids. To me, it is like when pregnant women with no kids say, I will not let me precious one have any screen time.  I just smile and nod, and think come back to me when your kid is three, and you want to sit him in front of a TV so you can get some work done.  Same thing with teens.  When moms of toddlers say, well my kid will never do X, Y, Z.  I smlile and nod.  But the SM argues from her base of experience that the kid needs excessive punishment, or must leave. Dad gives in.  Now,  years later, dad thinks, maybe my kid was not so bad, kid is now in Med School.  I dont know if OP and her DH had family counseling when the kids were  young.  I always recommend an outsider helping look at the situation.  

ldvilen's picture

I guess, as usual, I'm always confused by the pass many nowadays seem to want to give to teenagers or adultolescents.  I just read a post on another page about a parent going to a home where it appears some type of massive drinking orgy was going on amongst teenagers, underaged of course, and it also appears that no police or authorities were called by them.  At least, if you want to "protect" your own child from the authorities, what about the other kids that were still there and may have been still drinking or worse?  In my state, I'm fully aware of several cases where teenagers have gotten drunk at a free-flowing alcohol fest and died afterward, either from alcohol toxicity or drunk driving accidents.

Contrary to what most seem to want to assume, you could just as easily make the point that SM, due to taking the issue as seriously as she should, saved her SD, literally.  Maybe the one time SD didn't abuse alcohol or other drugs due to something SM said is the one time that if SD would have, she would have driven intoxicated or high and not only killed herself, but killed a family of four in the car next to her as well?  All speculation.  Either way, this pass everyone in our country seems to want to give teenagers on pretty much any and all behavior is concerning, to say the least, and at least part of the reason why the so-called teenage years can extend to almost age 30 now for at least some.  

If JUST being a teenager can be used as an easy pass now from age 13 to age 30, it is hell for all, and goes very far to explaining SM hell in more ways than one.  Again, I just see this as an issue where the bios can do whatever they want, while SM cannot even so much as burn the chilcken dinner once without taking the blame and hit for being an Evil Witch.

At the very least, the SM here should be applauded, along with BM and bio-dad, for helping the SD find her way vs. the assumption being that SD's successes were in spite of SM, which is the twist the SD seems to have put on it and the Koolaid everyone seems to be drinking.  If SD wound up in a prison vs. medical school, would BM and bio-dad then been slammed and SM been applauded?  No, not at all.  SM would have been blamed, regardless.  SD goes to medical school, it is in spite of SM.  SD goes to prison, it is because of SM.

ldvilen's picture

P.S.  And, don't forget the OP's other child, you know, the "sloppy seconds" one.  Apparently, tho., SM should have been just fine allowing SD's drug-taking, drug-induced out-to-destroy-the-entire-family lifestyle to go on around her own young child in addition to others in the household.  But, again, SM and any ours children are expected to sacrifice themselves for the Royal Initial Family.  Yeah.  Not in my book.  Not drinking that one either.

CLove's picture

Firstly Im so sorry this is happening to you. This is the stepmothers worst fear, only second to the fear that our spouses would return to their "first family" ie previous spouse they first had children with.

You stated that right off the bat, our husband let his kids get away with everything yet laid into your kids for the same thing.

You stated that no matter what the transgression, dad was not giving any repercussions, she was allowed to run free and clear, going completely buck wild. She was failing classes completely. She was doing drugs, and being a  party animal. Sure the party thing might be in the realm of normal, but the rest? I dont think so. She was full of lies and manipulations, and caused the whole family to turn against you. I think that if you read what you wrote and re read, you will see that there were many red flags that were warning you that this time would come. This is the culmination of a series of things. He is deflecting on to you - that you treated his children differently than your own. But that is what you stated he had done.

She is more than likely disordered person, and by harbouring all that hatred, this has given her something to focus on. You are her scapegoat in other words.

Im saddened by this because I too have a disordered SD. She is extremely narcissistic, and just recently sent a bunch of hate-filled texts to DH, accusing him of abuse that never happened. She is also a keen liar who likes to rewrite history in such a way that I think she actually believes it.

She tried turning the very large family against me, but it didnt work because they know who she is. And she has accused THEM of things also.

I think the fact that your soon-to-be exSD has cleaned up her act and made changes in her life, is convincing everyone that you are the issue and the bad person. You know that you are not.

Saddle up, its going to be a rough ride. Your husband showing his true colors and choosing his daughter over his lifemate - well, guess what? She will do the same to any other woman he chooses as a mate. And he will end up alone, because she wont have time for him. Or maybe they will live happily ever after. Its not on your plate any longer. Keep reading and posting - it really absolutely helps to get through the tough times.

Notup4it's picture

So heartbreaking.  The thing is us SMs sacrifice our well being and sanity for so long trying to keep things together.... protecting and helping our husbands (whom we love) cope with these toxic situations only to be viewed as the bad guy in the end. 

The thing is the toxic does its damage and then hides out only to return at a later date.... we are the ones that are there day in, day out dealing with the fallout— so it is pretty easy for us to get the blame.  Whenever there is a crisis it is human nature to attribute blame and we are the ones who are there. When we give advice that is in their best interest if it opposes the other agenda then we must be malicious.

Really it is a lose-lose....

you do nothing, or disengage and you “don’t care” or are “manipulative”,

If you stood up for the kid “You aren’t on MY side”, “How dare you not stand up for your DH!!!”. 

If you look at things objectively and try to give a shoulder it is “you never wanted them around”, “YOU did this”, “You pushed them out of my life” or “I should have never listened to you”. 

Forget that it is the kid making these choices. Usually either being their mothers puppet, or they behave on their own due to crappy parenting by the mom and dad that causes all of it.... it is just so much more convenient and less work to blame the SM.  Once the SM is gone from their lives of course the issues would just magically disappear.

It also is unfair that often WE don’t get to be our best selves or live in peace.... we are usually always walking on eggshells because of the kids or the malicious GUBM-  dealing with drama that isn’t even ours, or trying to work through negative emotions from the crap we have to put up with all because of poor choices or husbands or SO’s made years and years ago.