You are here

Tax Time!!

Over_it75's picture

So here we are two years later BM decided to claim SS on her taxes when it was DH's year to claim him. No mention of it, she just went ahead and did it. Per the separation agreement they are to switch years. Now, he is 16, turned 16 last summer, he has been working since last summer, half the year basically. Is it even worth stirring the pot and claiming him knowing she will throw a complete fit! What is the age that technically you can't claim them anymore, 17?

Over_it75's picture

I thought it was 17? But it is it worth filing? I think it would be more beneficial for him to claim himself, he would get more money that way.

Dontfeedthetrolls's picture

Not always the case. If I filed alone I would have gotten a couple hundred when I was working as a teen. If my parents claimed me then they got a thousand or so.

I love dogs's picture

Same with my dad. He claimed me for the year I was 17 and paid the money I owed since it was like $300 so he must've gotten enough for that to be an incentive.

Sorry your BM is a TWAT, OP.

ESMOD's picture

I thought it was 19... or 24 if a full time student. If two people attempt to claim the same child.. there will be a rejection of the second attempt. But, I believe you can get it audited by the IRS and if you have court documents stating it was your right to claim.. then I believe they will ultimately allow it for the correct person.

SAFjh's picture

I wonder if it varies from state to state because my SO got a very big shock this year when she couldn't get child tax credit for her 17 year old son...he is technically a high school drop out but the federal government can have no way of knowing that so...from that I deduce that it is 17 but whether it's worth it or not is up to you to decide. I just wanted to weigh in on the age part of your question.

Dontfeedthetrolls's picture

You can claim them until they are independent of you. I'm going to guess at 16 he has a part time job, doesn't pay you rent or bills, you still buy the bulk of his food and clothing?

Check with your state but in mine it's until the year they turn 18 so you've got this year and next.