You are here

Tablets

Adviceneed1234's picture

Hello... I have question regarding iPad usage. My SD was at our house this week and she is 9. My SD was playing math games and later that evening we saw she was searching you tube videos for Selena Gomez being prego. My husband was upset of this searching she was doing. The BM has promised my SD a kindle fire for her birthday. There aren't many parental controls on this. My hubby talked to the BM about this and she said my hubby was being too strict and we should expose her to these things. Maybe this is my fault because I'm so scared of chat rooms and everything else. Does anyone think my hubby and I are being too strict by restricting you tube on our iPad? I know this sounds silly but there are strange people on the web.
Thanks!

prozac_nation's picture

Have BM watch the movie 'Megan is Missing'.
She'll be just as scared of chat rooms as you are. That movie is beyond terrifying if you have kids.

And no, I don't think you're being too strict. If she can get to youtube, chances are she can get to more inappropriate websites, and lets face it, children are curious.
If SD9 wants to get on youtube here SO is monitoring her constantly.

GoodbyeNormaJean's picture

Well, it's really up to you and your DH. I can tell you this. At my house there is a computer set up for the kids. It's a PC. My husband has installed all kinds of parental controls on it. Each kid has a different log in and a different level of what they are allowed to do and where they are allowed to go.

My oldest is SS13. Even he isn't allowed to go on youtube. There's a lot of stuff on there he just isn't going to be looking at in my home.

I have a SD9 and a DD8. Neither of them are allowed to just roam around on the computer. Their access is VERY limited. There is some real crap on the internet. Wierdos and pedophiles operate on the hope that you will feel you are being "too strict" or "not cool enough". It's all fun and games until your kid is kidnapped into a sex trafficking operation, and believe me, it happens every day. If you're going to screw your kids up, err on the side of being overprotective.

ZX10R's picture

Educate her as much as possible. Just like with sex education, use scare tactics! Haha

Tell her that you are worried bout what she might come across on the Internet because there are creepy people out there that can find out where she lives.

twopines's picture

There are many many things a nine year old has no business seeing on the internet. Free range surfing is just asking for trouble.