You are here

Skid "I WANT TO GO HOME"

elenamadley's picture

Question - if skid is over for the day or is sleeping over and starts crying "I want to go home!". Should we take him back home as his request or let him cry?

At our last place he snatched the xbox controller of his father and his father told him off. Skid started crying and yelling that he wants to go home. He was there for 2-3 hours. My partner just let him cry. He got exhausted eventually.

Last weekend at my partners parents house we went there for dinner and skid was there. He was having a sleepover. He was his rude self majority of the night but then closer to the night he switched. I do believe he was overtired as my partners mum said he does this all the time. He started yelling out "I want to go home! I just wanted to visit you not sleepover!" so he called his mum and she was pretending that her phone was in a bad area. She has the night off with her new boyfriend so she wasn't coming to pick him up.

He kept yelling "Don't you want me to be happy??" and I was actually getting concerned because he kept grabbing things like he was going to throw it. He was holding his nana aggressively and it made me feel uncomfortable as I have never seen skid act this way.

So geninue question if he does that should we just take him back to his mums house? Like give her a call and say he wants to come back?

ndc's picture

I wouldn't.  Children don't get to dictate visitation - that's an adult decision. It's pretty typical for skids, when they get disciplined in one home, to want to go to the other. 

Rags's picture

Correct him by telling him that he is home and that he will go back to the other home on X day at Y time.

Lather..... rinse.... repeat.

Tears or no tears.

IMHO of course.

Kids do not dictate visitation, they do what they are told when they are told and how they are told.  Coddling them and abdicating parental/adult authority to a kid is insanity.

When he pulls this tantrum/manipulative ill behaved crap swat him on the rump, grab him by an ear, march him to an isolated corner, plant his nose in that corner and tell him he will stand there with his nose iin the corner until someone comes to get him and if he moves or utters a peep he may just get a swat so he better not budge or make a noise. At all.

PERIOD. DOT!

elenamadley's picture

This is the shit my partner needs to do. He just ignores him or tells him to stop but the kid doesn't listen. He just gets exhausted and eventually stops but no lesson has been taught? My partner will do all the above but BM will get involved when the kid goes home and tell her everything. Can't stop that because she has made him report to her. It's not abuse or neglect but she will twist things and make it harder for him. This is where a custody order will need to play in.

notsurehowtodeal's picture

Does you partner use any other parenting techniques other than "telling off" his son? It might be worth it for him to take a parenting class or read a book about parenting. Yous SS does not respond to being yelled at, so maybe another techinque would be more helpful?

elenamadley's picture

Pretty much it's either just no or stop that. He has tried only once to put him in a corner when he was being really naughty but his kid didn't listen to him. That didn't go further. Yeah good idea maybe he should go to a parenting class. In all honesty he never had a chance to do any of this. She took the baby and got help from her family. He didn't have that. First baby of course you have no idea what to do.

CastleJJ's picture

Do NOT take that kid back home. That would be feeding right into BM's PAS and it will teach skid that every time he doesn't like something at Dad's, he can run home to Mom. It will give BM more power to say that skid no longer wants to visit or wants a few hours visit but no overnights. It gives BM more power and control over you guys and will be determental to BF's relationship with skid. It is clear that BM has alienated skid to believe that Mom's house is the only place he can be happy based on his comment. I would make him stay and make him deal with it. If he refuses to talk about it, then fine, he can sulk in his room. 

ESMOD's picture

The more your so gives in.. the more it will happen.  The sleepover could stop but he goes home to dad.  He needs to hear he is at home with dad