You are here

SD's overly critical of me

LloydUK's picture

Hi I'm a stepfather to 3 sd's 18, 15 and 12.
I just need to vent..

Recently the youngest 2 have just been criticizing me all the time and I feel as though I have to be this perfect, amazing, calm, jolly, hardworking, organised stepdad 100% of the time or I'll be called up on it.

LloydUK's picture

Been married to my dw for 4 years now..

If I make the slightest mistake, I'm being honest, I could do it once.. For example leaving a cup in the front room (obviously I like to tell them to clean up after themselves alot Blum 3 ) then I never hear the end of it, I'm messy and lazy..
Maybe theyre just getting their own back on me for when I tell them off and taking any opportunity to have the upper hand.
I dont know why it p*sses me off so much, maybe because I spend everyday bending over backwards to try and make them happy.. dropping them off to school when theyre ill, or have a sore ankle, making sure they have enough fruit or drink enough water, helping them with homework...

I just feel like I am the target sometimes... I'm somehow worse than everyone else, when I know i'm not.

I have LOTS of fun and jokes with them, then they accuse me of not being serious enough.. other times they say I'm too serious...

Maybe I;m trying too hard...

kathc's picture

How about telling them that when THEY pay the mortgage then THEY can talk to you like an equal. Until then they're children and they need to STFU. But nicely }:)

Your DW lets them talk to you like that?!?