You are here

Law & Order - Loco Parentis (Episode)

Rags's picture

I am watching a L & W marathon.  The joys of a job search.  Tons of applications, calls with recruiters, an upcoming call with the unemployment office. Apparently my former employer is contesting my filing of unemployment.  That should be fun.

Nea

anyway, I have an L & W marathon on in the background.  This episide of L & W should be required viewing for toxic spawn and their idiot parents.  Particularly on a toxic side of a blended family/COD situation.

The basics, a teen is found murdered.  A long investigation builds a circumstantial case against a school bully. They match the weapons to an exotic martial arts weapon found in the bully's family apartment.  No blood evidence, etc...

The judge rules that the primary circumstantial evidence is not admissable. The investigators and DA's office decide to charge the father of the suspect with 2nd degree murder due to the parent's history of catering to the kid's violent hobbies, buying the weapons through an out of State family member to get the kid what he wants through it is illegal in the State where they reside.  Apparently this tactic allows for the admission of the circumstantial evidence in relation to the charges against the father.

The oucome is that the father and the murdering teen agree to a plea to Manslaughter 1 for the murderer, and Manslaughter 2 for the idiot father.  The murderer's mother caves and threatens to provide the physical evidence if the father does not take the plea which saves the murdering teen from life in prison and gets the toxic father away from the younger son who has yet to become a murderer.

Anyway.....

Too bad that idiot parents to toxic COD StepSpawn can't be held legally accountable for the results of their shit parenting.

Think of how many SParents would drag their mate's X, the toxic StepSpawn, and even their own failed mates, or IL/XIL/GPs to court for an accountability session for the shit they create.  If only that could be done in the Family courts.

Attornies should love it. Revenue for actually doing something beneficual instead of milking Custody/Visitation/Support cases for countless years, not solving much of anything. Judges could actually do something beneficial in family law cases.

Too bad, at least in this case, that TV is not reality.

ImperfectlyPerfect's picture

Interesting case indeed Rags -tough line. I've seen cases where parents are absolutely the product of their spawn and then I've seen situation where it's liek the "bad seed." I wish there was a clearer way to decipher but in this case it soudns like these folks didn't raise the kiddo right. Certainly many of us SP can relate to terrible habits, bad attitudes and horrible behavior due to low to NO boundaries. 

Hope the L&O binge was good and that your gig gets settled and worked out. 

grannyd's picture

Rags, I worked for Canadian Employment and Immigration for many years; first as a claims adjuster and later as Liaison Officer between Members of Parliament and disgruntled claimants. Believe me when I say that firing as a result of misconduct is almost impossible to prove.

The employer is responsible for giving warnings to the employee and for keeping detailed, written accounts of these admonitions.  I'm surprised that your previous employers are trying to suggest that there was cause for letting you go; no skin off their teeth if you collect those benefits to which you are clearly entitled. What jerks! Thankfully, you're no pushover. Also, keep in mind that (if American claimants have the same privileges as those in Canada) you have the right to appeal any unwelcome decision.

Another factor to consider is your job search. It's wise to keep track of and record every effort you make that can be construed as an effort to find work. Checking out newspaper articles, making phone calls, dropping off resumes are all relevant. Good luck! 

Rags's picture

They have no record of termination for cause. There was zero lead up disciplinary action. Though there was a PIP.  None of the PIP criteria were followed by the company though I attempted to engage on the follow up meetings. My boss never engaged. HR never engaged. They clearly stated that it was not a disciplinary action.

I am researching Labor Law Practices. I am not sure if I am going after them yet. Every person I have discussed it with has recommended filing a suit.  Not my usual style. But, I am considering it.

I had a call from the State UI yesterday. I got a letter from them on Monday evenging when we got back from our weekend.  They wanted a call scheduled for next Monday to review my claim for Unemployment.  DW has a med procedure on that day and I will be driving her to and from her procedure and waiting while she is in the treatment room.  My case advocate called to reshedule and we decided to do the interview then. It went well. I sent the information requested, the company has yet to respond to several calls. It does not look like they are going to actively contest my UI claim.  I have had a few former employees of that company reach out to me.  Several of them are engaging in hostile termination claims.  I was approached not long after starting the job regarding a forced transfer to my team from another team.  The indivicual filed a hostile work environment claim. During that proces and the follow up disciplinary actions that individual earned HR and the corporate Jr. counsel called me to interview me. The company has had a rolling line of ongoing employment related legal cases for the 2yrs I was there.

Hinky crap seems to be their business model. Fully reactive. In an industry that operates under best practices that are the exact opposite of reactive.