You are here

Just wrote the final alimony check!

Gucci's picture

Guys.... 

DH just wrote the final alimony check. That’s $1500 a month back in our budget. I know when their modification goes to court we will have about $550ish coming back out. But this is huge for us. 

Just wanted to share here since my everyday friends really don’t understand! 

notasm3's picture

Be thankful for the end. A friend of mine is 82. He’s been paying alimony for over 50 years for a 5 year marriage in his 20s. 

Notup4it's picture

I used to do mortgages a while back- once there was one client who was getting $6200/month for alimony!! No children involved either.  And she was complaining hard that he was retiring and it was going down to about $4000 and she was saying he was lazy retiring at 60 and said it was only to have alimony reduced to ‘Rip her off” and called him some choice words.  This woman had no kids and never worked a day in her life. 

Livingoutloud's picture

I know somebody who was getting 10k a month in alimony with CS. Her ex was a billionaire. 

My DH pays 1k to his ex. Kids are long grown so no CS. Ex refused and continues refusing  to work 

Lucky you. We have 5 more years to pay 

lorlors's picture

That is huge and something to celebrate. I am sure the relief and weight off your shoulders is incredible.

It is shocking that some of these women get a salary just because they married a guy at some point. It is a joke and should end after a set period of time like 2 years maximum. Why should someone live high on the hog forever on the back of someone else?

shamds's picture

As a means to never get a job, and no kids too or kids are adults. So what they couldn’t/wouldn’t find the time to get a job just like the majority of us. Just guilt an ex into alimony payments because you’re lazy??

i know there is an argument these women gave up careers to have kids etc but alot of them never really nurtured or raised their kids and often kids are all adults and they’re still getting alimony. No wonder men are scared to marry or enter committed relationships for fear or getting screwed bad.

even when i had considered divorce/separation, getting a job and finishing my studies was always on my mind even with 2 young kids

Gucci's picture

Yes! The kids are pretty feral, so I’m not sure what she did the whole time except keep them alive. 

And she has never really had a career to have given up. She just bounces from one low paying job to the next. 

shamds's picture

hubby was moving up the corporate ladder, she made her move on him. She thought she’d be a rich wife chilling and spending all his money. She did her work so bad as if she couldn’t be bothered and was just a clerk, she would have no chance of moving up like hubby.

she resigned to be a housewife, she did no housework, did everything in her power to not fall pregnant (including washing out her privaes after intimate times) my 3 sk think she’s a saint despite using them as pawns in her evil torture games against hubby

she wanted everything of his in the divorce as revenge, even his pension money (there would have been about 1.5 million there including life insurance. Courts told her to f*#k off, she got a lump sum payment of about 20-30,000 from memory. Was she happy? nope thats why she married an ex high school sweetheart days after divorce was finalised so don’t tell me hubby meant so much to her that she needed 50% of everything.

so exwife, “keep doing the crazy arse shit you always do, i’m an angel and saint in hubbys eyes”.... 

notsurehowtodeal's picture

After 10 years of $1,500 a month it is finally over! When alimony first started, he was also paying $800 a month in child support, so it was over 1/2 of his take home pay. He had to work over-time in order to survive. The marriage lasted over 20 years, so the alimony could have been for life. They agreed to up the amount in order to have it end in 10 years.

The kids are all aged out, so the final connection to BM is now completely over. I am so glad. I think I am happier than DH. I handle finances, so the money going out every month has been more "real" to me. I have been planning on how to use the extra money for months.

Swim_Mom's picture

My DH was married 20+ years and got 5 years of alimony rather than a lifetime sentence in exchange for paying 100% of all college for his 4 kids. 2 were almost out by the time of his divorce. He pays  his crazy ex around $6500 per month and this includes child support for one brat. Supposedly he got a great deal; I just cannot believe this is a thing (at least in the corrupt state of Illinois). Funny at the time we were dating I really didn't think much about it but after marriage I do resent this ridiculous waste of money. We keep our finances separate and each contribute equally to our household; this is the only way I can deal with this. Thankfully I always focused on my career and am doing justs fine - hell maybe I shouldn't have and I'd have lifetime maintenance! Instead I only receive CS but I'll take that over being one of these pathetic women who remain dependent on someone they presumably hate or at least dislike. Anyway congratulations on that milestone - we will be on an island in the Carribean with run drinks when that wonderful day arrives in February of 2020.

shamds's picture

Women are always about being equal to men, except when it comes to child support and alimony, that money rarely goes as required to the kids, its mainly for her luxury shopping sprees a d holidays where she sends a revenge message to exhubby “thanks for the child support/alimony cheque, i’m enjoying my holiday here...”

college costs should be responsibility of both parents. If the mum feels its not enough, get off your arse and work. Stop looking at ex hubby to slave it off for your wants and luxuries.

my 3 stepkids are self entitled, selfish, spoilt self centred feral brats who won’t even succeed in their careers, going to uni is was just a means to show off to others they got a degree but they are still dumb as hell in basic life skills or basic anything, how they got to uni yet alone a degree after multiple times repeating units? I don’t know. Me and hubby have since day 1 agreed for now while he’s at the top of his career that he’s ok i raise our 2 young kids and focus finishing my degree so before he retires i’d be back at work. His savings and retirement money saved up is more than most can dream of but its enough to survive on basic budgeting and costs plus what i’d earn.

we’re not like exwife still using her 22 & 13 yr old kids against hubby and to guilt hubby into more child support like they are the most important when hubby has 2 kids with me aged 1.5 & 3 whom require way more financial support than them. 

I read somewhere 2/3 the costs of raising a child are from college tuition but if the kids are taking out govt loans to pay this off, how is it the dads get guilted into copping the money. Their parents never paid their college tuition for them, they got loans just like everyone and paid it off themselves getting a job