You are here

Just thought I would introduce myself and my situation

pixi's picture

Hi! I stumbled across this site while trying to find information on how to deal with my boyfriend's very, very bitter ex-wife.

I'm a 32 year old, divorced female with no children from my previous marriage. He is 37, has been divorced for almost 4 years and has two children ages 12 (girl) and 19 (boy). He has his daughter every other weekend (his son doesn't visit as often now that he's 19). I have not met his ex-wife and she has absolutely no interest in meeting me.

The guy (I'll call him "C") and I have been dating for a little over 2 months and we get along very well. I met his kids for the first time after we were together for about 3 weeks so since we've been together he's has his daughter 4 times. Every time she is with her father her mother finds some way to make the child absolutely miserable to the point that she spends at least some part of her visit with C in tears.

Two weekends ago C's daughter invited me to come watch her cheer at a football game (she's a cheerleader) and I was thrilled to be invited. After all, she could have just absolutely snubbed me and/or resented the fact that I'm in her father's life.

Well the ex-wife caught wind of the fact that I was going to be attending the game and decided that, "Only family should be at [the daughter's] games" She pitched such a fit about it that she eventually said that if I attended she wasn't going to and neither were her mother and father (the child's grandparents). I found this to be an absolutely revolting reaction but took the high road and decided to stay home because I really didn't want to see the daughter suffer.

When I talked to his daughter and told her I wouldn't be attending the game her response was, "Sorry my mom seems to get off on all this drama." Which I think is very telling and very sad.

I explained to C that, yes, I would bend this time and stay home but if the daughter invited me again that I would be attending. Sure enough, this past weekend the daughter invited me to the football game (it was the last of the season) and I said I would go.

Once again the ex-wife pitched a fit. it got so bad that she eventually told both C and his daughter that if I attended the game that the daughter would have to move out and live with her father.

What kind of woman says that to her child?

I realize that this chick is probably just miserable with her own life and so she wants everyone else to be miserable but I just don't know what to do.

I'm thrilled that his children like me and want me to be a part of their lives too but I am so frustrated with the ex-wife's behavior that I don't know what to do. C has tried being reasonable, as have I to no avail.

The ex-wife has gone so far as to tell C that when she meets me she's going to lie and tell me that he has cheated on previous girlfriends with her when he picks up his daughter on the weekends.

I realize he and I haven't been together for all that long but I do see this as a relationship that I want to continue and that perhaps one day might turn into a second marriage for both of us. I have never dated someone with children, let alone someone with children and a bitter ex-wife so any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Sorry if I put this in the wrong category, I didn't see a space for new members to introduce themselves.

Anne 8102's picture

You absolutely cannot make decisions for yourself based on what someone else wants. You can never let her have that kind of power over you. The first time you let an ex dictate your life, that's it. You give an inch, they'll take a mile. Next time, call her bluff. If she doesn't show up at her daughter's event, then that's between her and her daughter. She chose not to be there. You didn't "make" her not be there. It's a free world and you have every right to go where you want to go and be where you want to be. Go to the game as dad's girlfriend, as invited by the daughter and as a member of the general public. She has no right to tell you not to go.

~ Anne ~

http://www.geocities.com/campaign4madison/C4M.html
Please join the Campaign to Save Madison!

str8_trippin's picture

To outright emotionally abuse and blackmail her own children that way!!! People that are this vindictive, Anne's right, ignore her. She will only "get off" more if she knows it affects you.

Knowing that she is an extremely irrational to the point of inflicting mental anguish on her children, perhaps you can suggest to C that counseling be an option. Or possibly setting boundries through the court. Her behavior needs to be toned down for the sake of those poor kids, and it does not sound like she will be a willing party in general decency and couth voluntarily.

There are several great resources that C and you can read to help better understand and deal w/ the situation. Then when you are done reading them, you guys can "gift" them to her!(Some people just need a little nudge in the right direction.) C has to stand up to this woman for his kids and let her know that this BS will no longer be tolerated! I can private message you the names of a few books that are very insightful in matters such as this.

"All that we are is a result of what we have thought."- Buddha

Candice's picture

my mother did this to me once, and as a kid, it put so much pressure on me, all I wanted was for people to be routing for me during my games, nothing else. It's really sad that a person will put this type of pressure on her own kid.

I would ignore her, and go if you want to go watch your bf's daughter. If she makes a scene, she will only make an ass out of herself. If she decides to not go to her own daughter's game, well, then she will have to deal with those repercussions with her own child.

Anne is right, you give an inch, and they take a mile without any regard. Go to the game, and let the toddler have a fit. Just enjoy your life as you would w/o bm involved...

Candice

Frog44's picture

If you going means that she won't be there - well, it will be a relaxing and fun event for you. And she'll be the one missing out. She's full of it. Just wants to push your buttons and keep control over all she sees. Ignore her!! Go to the games, and have fun.

hangingin's picture

when she threatens to make her daughter move in with her dad, all he has to do is say, well I guess it's your turn to pay child support!!!!Bet she changes her tune then! But hey, what's really wrong with daughter moving in with dad? It might be the best thing all the way around (for everyone!!!)
Just my humble opinion!

hangingin

Tired2's picture

Call her bluff. She's not going to kick her daughter out because then that would take away her paycheck...I mean child support check. haha She just wants to see how much control she really has and see if he's still "in love" enough with her to honor her ridiculous wishes. I say go to the game and to hell with her.

Some people are like slinkies...not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs! Smile

Hanny's picture

Just show up at the game...afterall you were invited by SD. And if step daughter asked you a second time...and she knew what her mom said the first time..then maybe she doesn't care if the rest of the family is there or not. What does your BF say about all this? You didn't give much input on his feelings about it and what does he say to his ex?

pixi's picture

The first invite I did step back because I figured perhaps it was just a shock to her to hear he was seeing someone who he thought enough of to introduce to the kids. I told C that I wouldn't do it again so this past Sunday I did go to the game and the compromise was that C was to call her when I left so she could come see the last game (the daughter was cheering for three games since it was the last games of the season). I couldn't stay for all of the games because I work Sunday nights so this seemed like a reasonable compromise to me.

The funny thing is that she did entirely miss her daughters game (the one the daughter performed the halftime show for) because they shifted the scheduling and the daughters game ended up being the second rather than the third game. Of course, once she caught wind of that fact then it was all C and my fault that she missed the game. This women is so irrational that she doesn't take any responsibility for her own actions at all.

She went so far as to say that I should have declined the invitation because I should have known it would upset her. Ha! Sorry but the ex-wife's feelings are not particularly registering on my give-a-crap meter. Perhaps if she had been calm and rational with her reasoning, then I might have said ok and understood but I agree with the rest of you that it's a control issue; she merely wants to see if she can still get C to bend to her wishes.

And Vickie is right because she called and said she had to go to the hospital for a migraine (which is apparently pretty common from what I hear from the daughter). I will say that this women hasn't heard anything about me nor does she know anything about me other than what she's heard through her kids because C and I don't have common friends (we met on the internet). It kills me that this chick is willing to make a judgment about me without even knowing me. I'm hardly a pacifist but I would prefer family harmony and can't stand to see the daughter in so much pain because the mother is so miserable.

The ex did relent on the moving out part but is now threatening to go to court for more support (her support was recently cut in half when the son turned 18)

St8, please send me the titles of those books -- post them publicly (or though PM if you're more comfortable that way), I'm sure there are other folks who would benefit from them as well.

Thanks for all the insights, this is such a new situation for me and like I said, I would rather see us all get along as there is no reason for the cranky behavior.

Mary Louise's picture

Sorry to hear all that. It really sucks when things are that new to hear the craziness. I have gotten used to it to a degree it but it is very upsetting - as somebody else put it -to have to perform all the mental gymnastics. We now go on the premise that she is always bluffing and that has made all the difference. Makes things much less stressful and she ends up looking like the a$$.

Sasha's picture

She is trying to intimidate you. This is a classic power struggle. She doesn't rule your life. Let her threats fall on deaf ears.

pixi's picture

As terrible as it sounds I've tried to imagine what her goal is to act like this and the only thing I can come up with is that she's just miserable and wants everyone around her from her ex-husband to her kids to be miserable too.

I think she's hoping that if she kicks up enough stink that I'll just throw my hands up and break things off with C. She probably should have bothered meeting me before deciding that was the road she wanted to take because as much as it may pain her, I'm not going anywhere and her road is going to be an extremely steep uphill battle.

How sad is it when my problems aren't with the children acting out like toddlers but a grown woman?

Even if this was just a matter of her trying to get C back into her life (which I don't doubt since I know she's tried the jealousy route before by sending C text messages talking about the younger guys she's dating) how can she rationally think that by ruining something he has going for him would make him happily come back into her world? I just don't get it.

C is a terrific guy -- attractive, funny, honest, genuine, generous, loving, thoughtful and great in bed (woo!) She lost out by not hanging on to him when she had him.

I can't recall who asked what his feelings were on all of this but I have sent him the link to this thread and maybe he'll swing by and drop his two cents in. I don't desire to speak for him but from what I can see and what he's said, he seems very frustrated by it all. It's got to be difficult to want to do well by your kids and having the ex just make that near impossible. I have suggested to him that he sit down the ex and try to talk to her so they can work out where their boundaries are because things as they are now don't seem to be working. I guess we'll see, eh?

chellebelle143's picture

I hate it when they pull the illness card, bm tried something similar about a week before the divorce was final, and she didn't even know that I was in the picture at the time. I was living in another state.
She now has "vacations from reality" as I like to call them a couple of times a year. She checks herself into the mental health ward. I wonder if she is doing it just for the medical leave. You should see the act she puts on. I saw her at a store right after she checked out, and I kid you not this 40+ y/o woman was walking like she was 90 years old. I had to look twice, because I thought I had made mistaken someone else for her. Now since when does a mental problem affect the way you walk? Geesh

I have had migraines since I was 4 years old, and the last thing I want to do when I have one is go to the hospital, sit under those lights for an hour or two, and then get a couple of shots, that will give me a hangover headache the next day. This seemed to be the consensus among the other members of my migraine support group.

**How seldom we weigh our neighbors in the same balance as ourselves. ~Thomas à Kempis**

Pixis Man's picture

I think the name says it all....
I too am very frustrated with this whole situation. I have tried to be reasonable with the ex to no avail...
Really, what do you say to a woman who tells her own daughter that if her fathers girlfriend goes to a football field (not an intimate setting in the least) to watch her and cheer her on, that she was not only not going to attend but the rest of her family wouldn't attend?
I have stated the obvious, hoping she would see she was being completely irrational and childish. You would think when her crying daughter is telling her on the phone "to grow up and get over it." All she kept doing was saying that this was my fault until my daughter told her that she and her friend invited Pixi, and then it was their fault too.

I think she feels threatened by a few things;
1. I have dated less than a hand full of woman in the 4 years I have been divorced and even less than that (including Pixi) for more than 1 or 2 dates. This tells the ex that Pixi must be special.
2. I have only introduced my children to one other woman that I dated in the last 4 years and they only met her twice. This also tells the ex that Pixi is a special person.
3. The fact that my kids actually like Pixi. (They didn't like the other one)(They could not have been more on the money)
4. But mostly when my daughter actually stood up for Pixi and told her mother "If you took the time to get to know Pixi you would realize she is a great person." I think that not only made her angry but it also hurt her feelings. But you know that is her issue, not mine.

I have to say the fact that my daughter stood up to her mother for Pixi just reinforces what I have been saying to and about Pixi since the first actual date we had. She is everything I want in a woman and I am not the only one who sees it.

I feel I should clarify something so everyone knows how I can be so sure. I don't believe in Love at first sight. I think too many people date because they think they are supposed to date and end up with someone for all the wrong reasons. Hell in the beginning (of being single again) I made some horrible decisions for all the wrong reasons. Then I decided I was tired of wasting my time dating and seeing if there was anything I liked about a woman. So I took some me time, decided what I was truly looking for, and based my search on those things that are important to me.

I feel very confident that Pixi could be my next and last marriage (perhaps, only time will tell) and I am not going to let an immature ex ruin that for me.

Thank you sweetie for being patient through this drama and believe me when I tell you it will be worth it!

lcooper's picture

And I wish you both the best! You are mutually supportive to each other, and to the boyfriend's daughter. You stand up for each other, appreciate each other's struggles, and work together as a team. I'd say the recipe for a happy future together!

Best of luck!

jen76's picture

Pixi's Man is right. It's obvious that BM is very jealous of the new relationship that you have with him and his daughter. He sounds like a great guy. It is BM's own fault for missing her daughter's game because she was acting too childish to be at the same place with the "new" girlfriend. Too bad she changed her mind on sending his daughter to live with ya'll. I don't know why BM's always threaten that like it is some kind of punishment. Just ignore her. Good luck to you both.

Riley's picture

This post is so refreshing. After I read Pixi's Man post, the tears welled up and started to flow...from sheer joy at such tenderness between the two of you!

May I just offer some unsolicited advice regarding the ex? Learn to become indifferent to the ex, to her emotions, to her manipulations, even to your desire to analyze why she does or doesn't do something. Indifference is the opposite of love; simply not caring what her responses are will give you years of tranquility.

I taught this philosophy of indifference to my hubby (about his ex) and it was a one-eighty change on how the ex's decisions and behavior affected our home. Learn the mantra "whatever" when the ex "acts out." This will avoid the power control that seems to infect us at times, insidious as it is. Whatever, whatever, whatever.

Not sure you need my advice, you both are on a good foundation on your own.

Hanny's picture

from Pixi's man. Good to see a man stand up for his woman. Somehow we don't hear that much around here. Smile

pixi's picture

Looks like I won't be attending the competition this weekend so the ex gets her way . . . again.

Now that she sees that she can put her daughter in the middle of all of this and have it work to get her way she's not going to stop doing it.

Sadly, I'm not willing to have the child be upset just to show the mother that she can't huff and stomp like a child to get her way so she gets her way any way. There is no fix for this situation is seems and honestly, if this is the way things are going to have to be then perhaps I shouldn't be in the picture at all.

How the hell are you supposed to make something work when one party is willing to emotionally abuse the child to get her way? When that party won't understand that it's not her feelings that are being considered but the childs? I'm not sure I have the patience to deal with this long-term and I'm definitely sure that living my life according to someone else's wishes is entirely unacceptable.

Feh.

Pixis Man's picture

I know what this is doing to you. I know it is killing you that she has control over us. Like I said Saturday is a one shot deal for D. she works the entire season for this one day and I want her to not have to worry about drama. Sunday is another story. Sunday is just a game much like you attended 2 weeks ago. If BM wants to throw a fit and embarrass herself, let her. D has nothing to lose but respect for her mother. (that is if she has any left)
Babe, you know how I feel about you. You know I would do anything for. You know I only want you to be happy and I know this goes against everything you stand for. I know you do what you want when you want and under normal circumstances I wouldn't ask you to bend. I am only at the same time trying to look out for D. Like I said, Sunday D has nothing to lose and we will go and cheer her on and BM can kiss my ass if she doesn't like it.

I also know the only reason you have bent in the past is because you are concerned with D's feelings and well being. I cannot tell you how much that means to me. I also know she realizes and appreciates it too.