You are here

How should I handle BD18’s jealousy over time I spend with SS12 and SS9?

Cinran's picture

I have been living with my BF for almost a year. His two boys, ages 12 and 9, live with the BM and are at our house on Mondays & Wednesdays until 9 and EOW. He also gets them for two weeks of vacation in the summer. I have an 18 year old daughter who just finished her first year away at college and is home for the summer. My problem is she resents any attention I show to the skids. I should preface this by explaining that I was a single mother until I met my BF and it was always just the two of us since I got divorced when she was 18 months old. I never lived with anyone since the divorce and she very rarely had any interaction with people I dated. So she always had my full attention. Now she becomes angry if one of the skids comes into the room while we are watching TV or even talking---she especially can’t stand the 12 year old. Granted, I even have a hard time dealing with him because he is so much like his mother and can be very annoying---the 9 year old is more easygoing like my BF and is much easier to get along with. My daughter even gets sullen at dinner when SS12 interjects anything into the conversation. Have any of you dealt with a similar situation? If so, how was it resolved?