You are here

He likes men

theoutsider's picture

I can't believe I didn't see it...

I am numb, don't know what is going on... He wants therapy. Church sunday was about second chances and he asked our minister to meet with us and he and I are going to counseling tonight....

He surrendered his phone to me and out of curiosity I looked through everything.

He has been emailing men and women and trans for hookups and handjobs...
He does not know I know yet about it all 100%

jumanji's picture

If he's hooking up with men AND women, he's not gay. He's bi. Yes, there is a difference.

The bigger issue, IMO, is the infidelity and lack of honesty.

Disneyfan's picture

Walk away from this man. Get yourself to a doctor ASAP and move on with your life.

(((()))))

Yosemite's picture

You might want to check out the Straight Spouse Network for some validation and support from people who have gone through the same thing. This happens more than you think.
Here is the link:
http://www.straightspouse.org/

I know it's a dark time right now, but better to know and move on. I will pray for you!

SMof2Girls's picture

Wow I can't imagine how difficult this must be. I hope that you can both be honest with each other and move on from this in a healthy way, regardless of what that means for the two of you.

I'll be thinking of you. Take care *hugs*

Delilah's picture

You must be shocked and no do not feel foolish because he has led you down the garden path of lies. Please please do go and have yourself checked out for STI's and imo he cannot *force* himself to be heterosexual, he cannot force himself out of addiction. He has to work on these things alone, do not be sucked into the protective wall against any stigmatism he is fearing from his life choices.

While I am not homophobic, I think its awful he has lied about this and dragged you into his games. He has hurt and betrayed you, doesn't matter that he is "confused" and has genuine problems. Lying is still lying, cheating is still cheating.

SMof2Girls's picture

Did he say therapy would fix him? I don't know that he's claiming that .. he may want therapy as a means to communicate and come clean about everything he's been hiding. He may realize his marriage is over, but not confronting these indiscretions may do more harm than good for everyone involved.

The lies are unacceptable, but not unforgiveable. Do we know that he's 100% gay and not maybe bisexual? I think there are a lot of assumptions being made here.

SMof2Girls's picture

My sister's church has a large population of gay people in the congregation. They offer therapy and counseling to everyone equally.

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the church is going to try and "cure" his homosexuality, or that that's his intent on seeking it out.

SMof2Girls's picture

Agreed. But therapy in any form is probably a step in the right direction. It sounds like OP has sought out both .. so hopefully they get the help they need to get past this (together or separately).

sbm014's picture

I cannot possibly imagine how you are feeling right now but please know we are all here on your side *GINORMOUS HUGS*

I had an experience of one of my exes coming out to me that he was gay a long time ago, however we never made it to the complete intimate stage which is how his admission came about so I feel some of your pain and you can message me personally if you want.

I think it would be good for y'all to meet with someone but also for yourself to meet with someone alone. I know probably have much invested feelings in this man but my gut tells me it would be best for you to walk away and get counseling to start the healing process. You have many hear that care about you.

ocs's picture

People don't need a 'cure' for homosexuality any more than they need one for being heterosexual.

The issue is the lying and betrayal. As another poster wrote above, lying is lying and cheating is cheating. I so hope you are able to deal with this either together or apart, and maybe a combination of both in terms of therapy. Someone objective who can help sort out all of the emotions that you feel.

You 're in my thoughts.

SMof2Girls's picture

Agreed! I don't know enough about this poster or her backstory, but I'm a little stunned to see all the conclusions being jumped to here.

SMof2Girls's picture

The blog entry only said he wants therapy.

There's no evidence to conclude that he's gay. He's clearly got some issues to work out in regards to identifying with his sexual preference, the lying and betrayal, a potential sex addiction (as some others have pointed out).

No one mentioned "curing" or "fixing" his potential "gayness" until people started responding to the OP.

SMof2Girls's picture

I didn't realize there was any confirmation that he had sex with other men.

I'm no expert in determining the sexual preference of others .. but I understand that there are "grey areas" between gay and straight .. like bisexuality.

QueenBeau's picture

Men who have sex with other men are also bisexual sometimes.

I think the therapy is for his sex addiction.

theoutsider's picture

I requested the secular licensed therapist.

He asked that we see the minister also.

Disneyfan's picture

Are you planning to stay with him? :jawdrop:

He's not going to stop being gay.

His cry for "help" isn't about "fixing" him. It's all a game to keep his nanny/maid from moving out.

Are you willing to speak to BM and/or the other exs about this. I bet they all know he's gay and have all heard the same "plea for help".

Jays13's picture

If you decide to stay with him, you'll always feel the need to be checking his phone/computer. Is that what you want for you life? Your relationship? Move on with your life so you can be open to someone who deserves you.

QueenBeau's picture

I'm shocked everyone is jumping to the conclusion that he is just straight up gay. There is a chance that he is bisexual. I know a bisexual man who cheated on his wife with men because gay men who weren't 'out' were a lot less likely to let the cat out of the box & tell his wife what was up. They both had good reason to keep it all a secret.

I would imagine the therapy in this situation is for his addiction to sex, which causes him to have email/real life sex with any and everyone.

Either way, I would leave him. If you aren't married yet why are you going to try and keep getting deeper into this situation? Sex addiction is hard to manage, and unlike drug/alcohol addiction - it can kill YOU as well as him if he caught some disease.

QueenBeau's picture

I'm not saying all bisexuals cheat. I'm saying my bisexual 'friend' (firendship has dwindled since I found out what a dog he was to his ex, who I am also friends with, unfortunately) cheated only with men who weren't out. He did this because he was afraid women would fall in love & tell his wife about them. He knew a man who was 'in the closet' would be a lot less likely to tell anyone.

He cheated because he was a cheater. But he picked his cheating partners carefully.

& he dated both men & women before he became serious/cohabitated with my friend/his ex. So the bisexual deal didn't just pop up because he was trying to hide being gay.

ctnmom's picture

I posted on the double post, but anyway. I'm the one with the gay brother. I don't , IMHO, think straight sex addicts sleep with same sex. I also think that closeted gay men often exhibit "cheating sneaking" behavior (not letting anyone off the hook hear me out) b-cuz they don't want to accept they are gay, but living the hetero life is so stifling that everything just builds up until they hook up with a guy. And OF COURSE the hookup is in the closet too, that way no one tattles! Believe me there are websites and dating services devoted to just this thing. Until a gay person can live an honest life it's very hard for them to not act out sexually. Theoutsider, I can tell you most positively that your church is NOT going to be the place for your DH to turn to for counseling.My brother and I are Catholic, and I don't think that most religions understand homosexuality. Lord knows you can't "FIX" it!

ctnmom's picture

Maybe Echo- I'm addressing the "gay" aspect. I also know that the worst kind of torture for my husband would be his penis in another man's mouth.

ctnmom's picture

Just did some quick googling-YIKES. Either way, Op has some decisions to make. :O

HungryEyes's picture

Hey. So. I went through this. But not as bad.

I found out my ex of 9 years and 3 kids together liked men AFTER we split and he'd never gotten up the nerve to meet one but as soon as we split that changed. He does keep it separate from my kids. He has no clue that I know. It's not anyone's business. But I know.

It was difficult the day I found out. Even though we had been separated a few months and were filing for divorce - it was just like a complete slap in the face. You can't believe it. You feel like an idiot for not realizing. You hate the time you wasted with him. All these emotions. It's horrible. All those years, I thought something was wrong with me.

But it's a very difficult thing for some men to live with. The best thing you can do is remove yourself from the situation and get therapy yourself.

But I did look at the world completely differently. I know how you feel. Don't think you're alone or that you're the only person who has gone through this. It's going to be okay. Message me if you ever need to talk.

JacksGal's picture

I am sure you are numb, this is horrible to have to go through. It looks like you care about him as a person and don't want to just walk away, but you have to know that your relationship, as you knew it, is over. You will never trust him again and you will never truly be sure if he's faithful, not when he has attraction to body parts you simply do not have. Every time he's late getting home, you'll wonder. Every time he takes a little too long going out to get groceries, you'll wonder. Every time you go out shopping or to see friends, you'll wonder. It will be toxic to the relationship. While you may not want to throw a hurt man into the street, you have to end the physical relationship immediately, go to the doctor and make sure you are ok, and focus on him getting into therapy so you can get separate residences.

You can see you'll have a lot of support here toward moving on and out of this relationship. I'm so sorry you're going through hell right now. Sad

GoodbyeNormaJean's picture

He's right. He needs therapy. He's committed an act of betrayal, and he needs help to learn how to communicate and how to maintain integrity. It sounds like he may also need therapy for sex addiction.

*I am NOT advocating therapy as any type of "cure" for homosexuality. There's nothing wrong with being gay, and nobody needs "cured". Therapy isn't about curing anything. It's about learning about yourself and others, what motivates us to do what we do, and how to be your best self. That's it.

step off already's picture

Yes, walk away.

DH ignored BM when she confided in him saying she was curious about women. They had SS, then got married, then the drinking, then the drugs, then she left him for a woman!

It scarred DH immensely, but it wasn't his fault. She was who she was.

simifan's picture

{{{{Hugs}}}}
How shocking and horrifying and painful this must be for you. My heart goes out to you... I'm sorry you are going through this.