You are here

Grandma or Stepkids

LadyHarvell's picture

I have been married for 3 years in August and I have three kids of my own which are my husband's kids and he also has two other children. I just recently had to move my grandmother, whom has raised me by the way to live with us. We are already living in a small apartment but I could no longer allow my grandmother to live in the conditions that she was in. Of course this happened right after we renewed our lease for a year. I am her Power of Attorney and her well being is my priority. My husband oldest son, 13 has been getting into trouble lately while staying with his grandmother and now my husband thinks that having him at our house is going to change his behavior. I am frustrated because our house is already crowded and while we are at work my grandmother is home along with my oldest two kids 12 and 13 and his 13 yr old son. They are constantly bickering which gets on my grandmother's nerves. She is 72 years old by the way and is disabled due to several strokes. My 13 year old daughter is doing a wonderful job in caring for my grandmother while I am at work. My husband and I got into a huge argument because I asked him is it possible for his son to come over while an adult is home like maybe on the weekends. He stated no he wants his son at his home with him and I said but you work during the day. It's not fair to my grandmother. I just don't see the point in having extra kids around while we are at work when we know that they all can not get along unsupervised. I am not a big fan of kids being in the house anyway no matter what their age is. I feel like packing up my grandmother and my kids and just moving on. I feel like I have the weight of the world on shoulders right now.

LadyHarvell's picture

Well his mother is taking care of her other 3 children and is finally working. Not to mention he lives with his grandmother anyway. I am guessing since he is 13, it appears that he is too old for camp this year????? Who knows but she is NOT a good role model for him anyway.

LadyHarvell's picture

Well his mother is taking care of her other 3 children and is finally working a 9 to 5. Not to mention he lives with his grandmother anyway. I am guessing since he is 13, it appears that he is too old for camp this year????? Who knows but she is NOT a good role model for him anyway.

kallen.2's picture

I think you're right that having another young teen there while you and your husband are gone is not a good idea. At all. I can understand your husband's perspective but that's obviously the only angle of this situation that he sees. It's hard to say what's best to do in this situation when you have so many people you have take into consideration. Either he considers the compromise you offered or he can think of another solution, because obviously there is a big problem that needs to be addressed.

sbm014's picture

I personally say grandmother and it sounds like your kids are old enough to at least manage during the day for themselves so she isn't exactly babysitting.

Maybe have her say something about feeling uncomfortable with the bickering - maybe this will give you a bit more leverage for him to listen, and either use your solution or come up with a new one.

jumanji's picture

Well... Apparently you also work and are not home with your adolescents. Why should HIS son be sent elsewhere, if yours are not?

LadyHarvell's picture

My daughter is helping with taking care of my grandmother. His son and my son agitates her so she doesn't like them. I have sent my son with my mom for a few days but there are not many places that he is able to go. Leaving one with her is enough but both boys together sets her off.