You are here

Denim

doll faced sm's picture

We don't have cable; we decided when we moved that we didn't want it, and it's really been great not having it. Having said that, we now spend a lot of time on days off playing board games.

So, today, we were playing Pictionary which we play by family rules, otherwise, there'd be no hope of anyone ever actually winning the game. Instead of taking turns guessing, we take turns drawing. Play rotates to the left. When it's your turn to draw, you pick a card and pick whatever item from the card you think will be easiest for you to draw and others to guess (ex: I can draw a casette, but my DD would have no idea in the world what such an antiquated piece of technology was, so instead, I draw the snake or the rocket). Everyone playing gets to guess, whoever is right gets to roll and move forward on the board.

It's DD's turn to draw, she looks at the card and says, "Ok, I got it. I'm ready." We flip the minute glass and she starts drawing what looks like a man and either a very ugly baby or some kind of little pig monster. FDH and I start guessing

Father, brother, uncle, monster, ugly baby. . .

She then starts to draw what looks like a crowd of people watching said man and pig beast.

Family, audience, freak show . . .

So she draws what looks like chair legs under the pig beast

Chair, high chair, dinner time, baby food . . .

She emphasizes an arm that is connecting the man and pig beast. It is now clear that they are a dummy and ventriloquist, both of which FDH manages to spit out before time is called.

DD9 is practically beside herself, giving both of us a look of how-can-you-possibly-be-so-stupid. Then she says, "Ugh, denim! Jeff Denim!"

Last-Wife's picture

That is hilarious! One to write down and remind her of always!

BTW- We went without cable for several years to save money as well, and are considering going back to it, since most TV shows are on the Internet now. We still had all the TVS and DVD players in the house, though, so my husband and I bought up cheap DVDs of our favorite shows when we were kids and we'd sit and watch DECENT FAMILY PROGRAMMING together. Amazingly enough, to this day, SS 16, will go over to the closet and pull out episodes of the Waltons and HeeHaw to watch.

Another thing we did was have one night a week after dinner of candle light only, and we'd all sit around the kitchen table and read, or DH and I would take turns reading our favorite stories to the kids. Also, since he is a science teacher, many times he would create science experiments for the kids to do, using household items.