You are here

"Daddy"

dont know what to do's picture

Does anyone else think there is a certain age when "daddy" should become "dad"?? SD15 is so sheltered and babified and it annoys the crap out of me that she still says "daddy"

I never had a dad around so I don't know what the norm is here but I can tell you that she needs to grow up...ugh. I feel really petty here but it's driving me crazy. It doesn't help that she can't stand me, so maybe I'm just trying to find things...idk

Crazy_in_Ohio's picture

It's normal where I come from to call your dad "daddy" and I call my mom "mommy". I still do it, intermixed with dad and mom. Sometimes Father if he's ticking me off Wink

Sounds like you don't like because of other reasons, which I can totally understand. Especially if you think she's using it to manipulate her dad.

GoodbyeNormaJean's picture

Also from the south here. My parents are Daddy and Mama. I'm 33. My stepmom is a gem and doesn't seem to mind. She calls her dad "Daddy" too.

Anon2009's picture

I don't know if this is a hill you want to fight/die on. However, if she is treating you and/or your kids with disrespect, or you feel your SO does things for her that she at 15 should be able to do herself, by all means address those. Sometimes everything adds up and all it takes is one small thing to be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

littlelucy's picture

SD16 and SS12 both say mommy and daddy. Puke. I like to repeat it back in a baby voice, then pretend to suck my thumb.

Oh she is very disrespectful, this was our Friday night....I'm taking the sd15 and sd7 out shopping saturday for clothes (in another post dh spends 300 on kids twice a year) well i ask sd15 where she would like to go I get this
sd15 - "i thought mom was taking us"
me - nope
sd15 - are you sure, cuz she said she was
me - yes im sure ive discussed it with dh

Next thing you know bm is calling dh going off on him, apparently sd15 texts bm and tells her the plan and that she doesnt want to go with me...omg! seriously ive never done anything to this child but not talk to her bcuz she always acts this way...so huge blow up with sd15, dh, bm and me of course. I was impressed with dh cause he actually let sd15 have it this time for a change and backed me up. She is just so spoiled and used to getting her way. So the whole "daddy" thing is her way of getting his attention. I feel she is hold enough that "dad" is just fitting.

Helena.Handbasket's picture

Oh no! You are going to start that daddy war again. Lol

Personally, my answer is yes. SS and I made mention of this to SD once and pissed her off. It was funny.

However, you will get other answers here I am sure.

Oh and I bet for your SD it's not daddy, but daaaaaaaaaaaddddeeeeeeeeeeeee

2ndclasscitizen's picture

This is just my opinion of course, but when my SD 12 calls her Dad "Daddy" its more the tone that she uses that annoys me than the actual word. I've always called my Dad "Dad" though, as I thought Daddy sounded babyish. So yeah, I think it is really annoying overall. But then again, everything SD does lately is really annoying.

Wow looks like I hit a nerve...lol! maybe it is just the tone she uses when saying "daddy" all I know is I can't stand it!

my.kids.mom's picture

I would LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE for my bf's almost 9 yr old to call him "Daddy". INSTEAD OF "DADA". OMG if I hear it one more time I can't hold my tongue anymore...

And the worst thing...he doesn't even NOTICE that she calls him "DADA". Ugggghhhhh. Do they ever notice anything?!

dreadingit's picture

OMG I thought I was the only one with this grossness! Skids are 7 & 9 and call him DADA. I don't know why but it grates on my last damn nerve!!

thefunmommy's picture

Oh yes, SD6 switched from dad/daddy to DADA about 6 months ago (once baby BD was old enough to start forming mama/dada etc). Makes me want to puke every time. DH caught me rolling my eyes at it last night, lol.

BSgoinon's picture

BM referred to DH as "Dada" until SS was about 6 years old when I finally told her to stop calling him that. He is not a baby. This is his DAD, call him that.

OMG Dada would be so worse for me...lol GROW UP!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's what I want to tell sd's!

LilyBelle's picture

We called my father "Daddy" until the day he died. It's a southern thing.

yep.... But we don't whine, right? We just smile and let our sweet southern drawl flow out of our mouths like honey.

BSgoinon's picture

I am from Cali, and will always call my dad "daddy". I don't whine it though. It's just his name. Daddy... like John or Bill, Daddy. And I still call my mom "mommy".

Maybe I am weird.

LilyBelle's picture

I'm 42 and Daddy is Daddy and I'm not gonna call him anything else. Why make an issue over the affectionate term someone uses for their father?

buterfly_2011's picture

I'm 37 and still call my dad "daddy". But I'm an only child. WIth nobody to get annoyed. Smile

Disneyfan's picture

I'm 44. I've called my SF daddy for 39 years. I will call him daddy until day one of us dies. My son will be 21 in October. He calls him granddaddy.

Both of my parents are from the south.

It's very common for in some cultures and regions of the country to use daddy and mommy or momma.

SD7 has started calling DF DAADEE in an annoying baby voice. I hate,hate,hate it.

staying calm's picture

Daddy and Mommy are def southern things...and also prissy things! Not to mention super annoying things to hear come from a child's mouth! But I have to agree that nothing would be worse than Dada....oh my good lord!! I thank my stars that SD7 doesn't do that!