You are here

Contributing to stepsons, private high school, education?

Madison83's picture

I always get the best advice on this blog and thank everybody f for taking the time to answer and give advice. 

My 13 year old stepson (I have known him since he was seven & we just got married last June (2023) might get in to a prestigious Catholic private school in our area. Hopefully he gets accepted of course, but my husband and I have been having let's call it heated discussion about helping pay for the tuition. A little backstory.... my husband has full custody of the kids. His ex-wife has passed away and the kids get almost $2500 a month from her Social Security each. I have been with my husband, since his separation end have went through the divorce process with him, as well as the custody battle and everything. I have loved and supported both boys who are 13 and 10, since I have met them and treated them as they were my own. I do plenty of things for them by plenty of things for them and go out of my way to be the best stepparent I possibly can. The 10 year old and I have a very close relationship. I have known him since he was barely 3 years old and I feel his both grandparents heavily favor they're older grandchild and he's constantly sure changed. This being said I'll do extra for him to make him feel special and loved. He is also a different child. He is loving is kind and actually wants me to be part of his family. The oldest who is 13 is a serious issue for me. He is nice enough to me in front of his father but when his father is not around, here is incredibly rude and ignores me, does not answer me, but still demands stuff for me and argues with me. For example, the other day there was a delayed opening so I had to take his brother and him to school and the 13-year-old kept hurting his 10 year old brother by bending his fingers back and squeezing them throwing him against a couch hitting him and acting up as I was driving both of them to school. My husband said he took care of it and spoke to him but honestly I have been through this before and nothing you say will change his attitude and behavior. He had a therapist, but he doesn't have it anymore. He didn't use a Therapist or talk to a therapist and since he's been seven years old, everybody's been saying oh, it's the age, making excuses for his behavior. He acts up all the time, especially when his father is not watching or not with him and makes a simple task a chore because he will not stop acting up. It could be anything from throwing stuff at cars or any mischievous behavior and curses nonstop and honestly he is a spoiled brat. Both grandparents must feel incredibly guilty. There are a lot of issues, so they spoil him uncontrollably. 

Now getting back to my conundrum, if he gets in to this private school, the tuition is about 20 grand a year. 
My husband thinks I should contribute and pay part of the tuition. My husband was also upset even though I got a pay cut Ed Work and spent over $800 on both kids for Christmas that I didn't spend enough and was cheap with Christmas presents. Meanwhile, I bought them both Gucci slides and pay for stuff and do stuff all year long. I told my husband why should I be asked to go into debt over Christmas gifts and both kids do not even like the gifts they get they are just expected. It's my fault when I complain that I have to leave work or change my plans to go pick up my oldest stepson who for some reason does not have a friend group to carpool with and I'm expected to drive out of my way to go pick him up and then take him somewhere else and when I called to find out where he is after I changed my plans he answers the phone with a rude "what" if he answers at all? . He doesn't thank me for driving him to different sports practices or picking him up. It's expected. Meanwhile, I have an expensive car that needs high-end gas and mileage is extremely expensive, I have an Audi A5. My husband and I basically split our bills 50-50 we each contribute, my husband is contribute more for vacations and stuff of that nature. Like I told him if I could afford to go somewhere, I wouldn't, and I wouldn't take these type of vacations. Meanwhile, we have yet to go on a honeymoon because my husband tells me I should contribute heavily for a honeymoon. Our kids come on every trip, especially the oldest even if we're going a weekend away to Harvey show or anything he constantly comes and it's annoying because when we go out to eat mind you with his grandparents, he eats cheaply, but when I'm paying the bill, he wants a steak or something expensive and half the time he doesn't like it and doesn't eat it. A real pain in the ass. I took him out to eat one time and the most expensive thing on the menu was a New York strip steak and he asked me if you could have it I said fine and then he stopped eating it, and said it's not as good as a fillet he prefers filet mignon. Meanwhile, the kid who loves aggressive, chicken and rice soup, and when he's with his grandparents pool extremely cheaply, he will eat that type of food as well and never demand they take him out too expensive restaurants in order the most expensive thing. Even if I could afford to help pay for the tuition, I wouldn't he barely talks to me does not introduce me as a stepmother, or at all, and is rude an argumentative. Every time I let my guard down and I'm super nice to him and go out of my way he does something and it makes me regret it. It hurts because I would love a child of my own but because I'm 40 years old and my husband does not want any more children that is not happening. 
My 10 year old stepson on the other hand, his loving, polite and appreciative. I do a lot of things with him and actually enjoy doing it because he is that much of a great kid and really truly loves me.

The 13 year-old at our wedding was struggling to even say congratulations. He had such a post on his face, even though we included him and everything.

He's a miserable child and honestly, I cannot wait till he goes to college. I keep telling myself less than five years left. I love him very much and if I didn't love him, I would have never married his father. He makes it very difficult to like him though. 
Regardless, I don't know what to do with the high school tuition bill. I don't make enough money to cover it and it's not like my husband pays for my health insurance even. Meanwhile, he gets money every month from his mother's Social Security death benefit. And he has more money in his bank account that I do but I'm expected to pay for everything. He barely spends a dime, and when he's asked to pay for something, it's World War III. I truly am very happy in my marriage of lately but because of my 13 year old stepson, there are a lot of fights he makes it very difficult. 

Rumplestiltskin's picture

The kids each get $2500 a month from BM's social security? That seems like a lot but i'm no expert. Between that and i'm assuming your husband has a job, you should not have to contribute anything financially toward the kids. Your husband sounds like he is financially using you. Don't fall for it and go broke. It sounds like, if you go broke paying for his kids, stingy DH would be like "sucks for you." You need to take care of yourself first. Idk if you have or plan on having kids but you will need to look out for them, too. It sucks your husband is this way, but since he is, you have to be vigilant. 

Madison83's picture

Yes she made over 250 a year. 
yes he makes base salary over 150 and with side work about 250 a year too 

SteppedOut's picture

What is he doing with his money? Why does he need you to contribute to HIS kids. 

You absolutely do not have to contribute to his kids. I sure wouldn't. 

Harry's picture

You don't have to pay for private schools for no reason. If money is that tight. This kid can't afford a great college where it's $80,000 a year.  And S Security stops at 18 or after HS. 

ESMOD's picture

These kids are not your financial responsibility.  Your husband is getting money monthly that should be able to support this tuition.. and he can pay the rest himself.  The fact that you split 5050.. already means you are paying more than your share since it is also covering his kid's share of the household expenses.

I mean.. in your situation.. I know there are people that might want to adopt their skids..and in that case.. you become the parent with obligation. 

I would point blank ask him why he thinks his kids are your responsibility.. legally they are not.  and you do plenty already.. with little thanks from your DH either.

Winterglow's picture

What does your husband think the SS money is for? Buying Lego?

I'm with the others. These are not your kids and not your responsibility. If your husband wants to send his kids to a school he can't afford then it's up to him to find the money but it's not coming out of your pocket. Tell him to go buy a lottery ticket.

Also, when in a restaurant with this kid, tell him the cost of his meal is capped at X dollars, everything included. If anyone protests, it's to teach him not to take advantage and not to waste. 

Madison83's picture

Lol legos we have boxes and boxes of brand new $250 plus dollar ones sitting in our basement (mine (he moved into my moms house with the kids...which is good b/c my mom is a widow and I get to live in the house I grew up in and it's a nice house) 

no he saving it for college for life after college meanwhile grandparents have a college fund already. 

oh I did that with restaurant, and he screams and my husband picks a fight with me and calls me cheap. Mind you one time he wanted a twin lobster special at a restaurant on vacation and doesn't eat it even. The rest of the vacation I had a hell of one dealing with my husband and him. 

BanksiaRose's picture

This man has got it good: he got a single woman with a house, while you got a lot of hard work and being treated like a maid and a cash cow for three whole people!  AND he's got a nerve to demand you pay for your own honeymoon while he's sitting in your house?

Remember, you're the catch here. 

He shouldn't expect you to pay for him OR his kids AT ALL, anywhere- restaurants, Christmas gifts, anything. If you do, that's out of the kindness of your heart. I find men that ask women to pick up restaurant bills very off-putting, let alone berating you for not footing the bill for their spoiled brats. 
AND kids don't need anything Gucci/other designer, that's a good way to raise a narcissist. 

If you kicked them out tomorrow, who would have them? He's got plenty of baggage, lots of demands and no home. You're the catch there, never forget that. 

BanksiaRose's picture

This man has got it good: he got a single woman with a house, while you got a lot of hard work and being treated like a maid and a cash cow for three whole people!  AND he's got a nerve to demand you pay for your own honeymoon while he's sitting in your house?

Remember, you're the catch here. 

He shouldn't expect you to pay for him OR his kids AT ALL, anywhere- restaurants, Christmas gifts, anything. If you do, that's out of the kindness of your heart. I find men that ask women to pick up restaurant bills very off-putting, let alone berating you for not footing the bill for their spoiled brats. 
AND kids don't need anything Gucci/other designer, that's a good way to raise a narcissist. 

If you kicked them out tomorrow, who would have them? He's got plenty of baggage, lots of demands and no home. You're the catch there, never forget that. 

Survivingstephell's picture

When was the last time you read your previous blogs?  I suggest doing that and refreshing your memories with this miserable family.   I did just go thru them and I hope you don't think of yourself as stuck.  This is not a good situation for you.  As you have shared, you pretty much get nothing out of this situation.  You give only.  

Just what is this man of yours doing with all his money?  What are you doing with yours?  He sounds like leech and where will you find yourself if you cut off the money? At retirement?  Can you handle not having your own child?   You have to sacrifice so much.  Where's his sacrifice?   IMO you have some tough questions to find answers to.  This is NOT working.  

Madison83's picture

I work full time, have a expensive car that takes super gas (a Audi a5 ) and I pay my bills. Our taxes are 23 grand a year. It's pricey in bergen county nj 

BethAnne's picture

So this dude has an income of $400k a year plus $60000 from the kids social security, lives rent free or low rent in your moms house, the kids have a college fund from grandparents and he still wants you to pay for his kids day to day expenses and expensive private school????

hereiam's picture

Yeah, there is no way in hell I would pay a dime for these kids. OP's husband has a sweet thing going on.

Madison83's picture

Yes, and he sells sports cards and probably has since we did a prenup less than a year ago about $5 million in assets 

He does pay for half of the groceries and he pays half of the property taxes as well as 750 a month for the mortgage which is minimum. Tried to tell me tonight when we found out my stepson got into school that I should do it to be a family and I should cut back on personal expenses for myself getting my eyelashes done buying less expensive products for myself and so forth. .
Tells me at my salary, which I took lower, paying job and a pay cut since my company was cutting back. I've only 100 K here before taxes that I should be contributing more. Meanwhile, I have high credit card bills because after my parents horrible divorce when I met him, I was helping my mom out big time and I was dating a guy who did not pay for dates and wanted me to go out time at extravagant vacations, and so forth, and expected me to pay my  way. 
Meanwhile, he brags that he makes so much money a year selling Sports Cards. 

CastleJJ's picture

You lost me at "he told you to cut back on personal expenses." He makes the kind of money he makes, pays half of groceries, half of taxes, and $750 toward the mortgage... Yet, you can't get your eyelashes done and all that money should go toward HIS KIDS... BULLSHIT. 

If there are 4 of you in the household and 3 of them are him and his kids, he pays 3/4 of everything as it pertains to the household - 3/4 of groceries, 3/4 utilities, 3/4 the mortgage. Anything related to his kids is on him, except what you WANT to contribute. Don't let this man extort you out of your hard earned money. Your money is YOUR money and if YOUR bills are paid, you can do whatever you damn well please with what is leftover. 

Madison83's picture

He claimed the Social Security money is for college college and expensive. He said he hasn't had a conversation with the grandparents recently about their college fund and the money from Social Security stops when they turn 18 and then try to blame me for being married and not being able to apply for financial aid even for this high school, because of our joint income and said since I screwed him in that, and we don't even get a tax refund and property taxes since he lives in my mothers house, I should take that money and I should be paying for a portion of high school even said maybe if you pay $200 a month

Meanwhile, my stepson is incredibly rude to me, doesn't even acknowledge me only if his father is there, and truthfully is extremely difficult and has broken expensive things around my house but of course there's always innocent 

He is a conniving bastard and honestly if it wasn't for my youngest stepson, I would've never married my husband

BethAnne's picture

If you are taking on his debts that he incurred prior to your relationship (paying for his kids) then he should be taking on yours and contributing to your credit card debts. As he has a high salary, and you don't even get a tax refund and property taxes and you subsidize his kids in other ways then he should be contributing $1000 a month. 
what does the prenup say about debts incurred prior to marriage?
This guy sounds abusive and controlling  to be honest. What does your mom think of him?

ndc's picture

Your husband is taking advantage of you. You are 25% of the household - you shouldn't be paying more than 25% of the household bills. He should be buying the gifts for his children - you should contribute as much or as little as you want, or get them something YOU want to give them.  They are not your children and you are not responsible for them.  If your husband left you tomorrow you would have ZERO rights to those kids. And that's exactly the legal obligation you have to them.  I would absolutely say no to the high school tuition.  If your husband can't afford it on his own, combined with the $2500/mo he gets for the SS, the SS can go to public school. I would stop paying for his kids - if he objects too strenuously then I really think he's just using you. 

Winterglow's picture

A hundred times over!

This guy is so damn greedy that he doesn't know how effin' good he has it! For goodness sake! He's practicing the old "what's mine is mine and what's yours is mine too"!

If he can't pay for the expensive stuff he should lower his sights. He should live within his means and stop expecting others to subsidize his dreams.

He HAS the (ss) money it's time to use it. That leaves him YEARS to save up for college.

Tell him to kick rocks 

CLove's picture

hes pretty conniving. And selfish. I would definitely redfine the financial lines. And no is a complete sentence.