You are here

Completely OT/eczema

Winterglow's picture

My daughter is in the States and has just had an eczema flare-up. What do you recommend? Aveeno doesn't help in the least. Help! I have no idea of what products are worthwhile 

CastleJJ's picture

There is a Aveeno Baby eczema soak that you put in the bath that works really well (even on kids and adults). We just use over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream for eczema. It works well. 

Jcksjj's picture

My youngest has severe eczema. Do a wet wrap (Google instructions) with hydrocortisone (need a prescription for anything stronger) on the eczema patches and vaseline everywhere else. Antihistamines help with itching 

Rumplestiltskin's picture

I found that hydrocortisone ointment (the greasy kind), applied right after a bath or shower worked best of the otc meds. After bathing there is a lot of moisture in the skin and applying it just after towel drying "locks it in." The bath or shower should not be too hot and don't use much in the way of soaps or cleansers. My son had it bad and when he was a kid, soap was mostly just used under the arms and in the nether regions, and shampoo for his hair. We used the hydrocortisone 2-3 times a day (but only had him bathe once a day) for only about 2 weeks, or until the scaly, thickened areas had resolved, whichever came first. Between flare-ups, we used Aquaphor healing ointment after baths as a moisturizer. You can also use it during flare-ups between applications of the hydrocortisone, as long as you give the hydrocortisone a few hours to sink in. The strongest otc hydrocortisone is 1% i think. That's what we used. It was hard to find in the ointment and i haven't looked lately, so idk how easy it is to find.

A doctor can prescribe a stronger steroid cream (like hydrocortisone but prescription.) Sometimes eczema can become infected with bacteria, or even a viral infection if bad enough. That requires other meds but the above is what we did for my son at home and it worked. It is very greasy but that's what it took for his severe case. They also have otc hydrocortisone cream at the store. Less messy but also less effective in my experience. They also don't recommend using steroids on the face unless it's realy severe, and then for as short a time as possible. 

Winterglow's picture

Thank you, ladies, for your advice! You have given me tons of information to pass on to her. I'm sure she'll be very grateful! Thanks again! 

Survivingstephell's picture

Do her laundry with unscented  detergent, rinse with white vinegar, no fabric softener.   I have a prescription cream I got from my dermatologist, must have IMO.