You are here

Books?

angie929's picture

Are there any books you gals/guys can recommend me to read about step-parenting that will help me deal with my new soon to be role, and well, really my role now...

I need help!

My Bio: I'm a 40-year-old, no bio children, first time marriage to a wonderful man with an 8 y/o daughter who is attention starved....

Kes's picture

Everyone on the site has read "Stepmonster" by Wednesday Martin - it is extremely good - gives a very thoughtful analysis of the stepmother role.

nakichick's picture

Confessions of a Wicked Stepmother by Leigh Bramwell

Found this book funny, practical and realistic. It also made me take the pressure off myself to love my step children, and the funny thing is, once I did that, I liked them a whole lot more! Reading this book was the first time that I realised I'm not the only one having a hard time (I had not yet discovered this website)

Good luck and happy reading Smile

stepmom0825's picture

I like The Happy Stepmother, by Dr. Rachelle Katz. She has a lot of good insight and advice.

Doubletakex3's picture

I highly recommend:

Parents Who Love Too Much: How Good Parents Can Learn to Love More Wisely and Develop Children of Character [Paperback]

It's not directed specifically at stepparents; however, it's excellent for understanding how 'guilty' parenting or lack of boundaries affects children in general. Really hit home with my ex-DH. Excellent.

SPCAMutt26's picture

I've read Stepmonster and wasn't too impressed with it (a lot of scientific studies and such). I really enjoyed "A single girls guide to marrying a man, his kids and his ex wife." by Sally Bjornsen. It was down to earth and very funny. There were a lot of lightbulb moments that really made me feel better about everything that we have to go through as step mothers.