You are here

BM threatened to call the cops if I didn't change things on my Facebook

YellowBelly's picture

So as a stay at home mom I have no adult interaction. What-so-ever! Social media is about my only outside communication. I had been talking on facebook about certain issues without naming names or even really saying anything that bad, as I was posting for advice.

*I have BM blocked*

She apparently went under her bf's account to check out what I was doing and took such offense to it that she called DH and said that if I didn't delete the post or delete my account she would press charges against me. She said she took a picture of the post.

My question is, if I am not naming any names or making accusations....is that slander or harassment? Could I get into trouble or would the cops do nothing?

Don't I have the freedom to discreetly talk about my home life?

Opinions??

realitycheckmom's picture

It is not a criminal offense even if you named names. It is civil and she has no leg to stand on. Put your page on private and she can always file but that doesn't mean she will win and it also doesn't mean a judge will get pissed and probably toss it immediately and force her to pay attorneys fees for you as well as court costs...but the judge might.

hammie's picture

As long as names werent mentioned nor associations such as "my bf''s ex" she has nothing. Especially if you add the disclaimer "any similarities to true stories are purely coincidental".

YellowBelly's picture

I used words like step kid and BM. Which, if you are my in real life friend (I don't have that many really) then they would know who I am talking about but I never used either of their names. What would constitute harassment?

YellowBelly's picture

Oh I did use the word BF's X. I temporarily deleted my FB page but I could log back in to copy and paste the post to see what you guys think?....

tweetybird74's picture

I would not worry to much. But I would set your account so that only "FRIENDS" can see what you post on your wall, your photos, EVERYTHING!And from there if there are certain friends that you do not want to see things then you can block them from seeing what ever it is you want.

Disneyfan's picture

Most likely the police won't give her the time of day.

However, if BM and husband end up back in court, she can present the screen shots to the judge which MAY hurt your husband.

notmyspawn's picture

Our BM did that once. She saw on Twitter that I posted, "here come the tears" on a weekend with SK. Thats all it said, and stupida was making all sorts of threats. I wouldn't worry about it and just take the advice of the previous posters.

YellowBelly's picture

Here is the post copy and pasted:

What kind of mother puts their 8 year old child to bed at 7pm with a dose of benedryl every night? (isn't that abuse of some kind or something?) Anyway, A BIG CHEERS to my BF for winning full custody of his daughter this week!

YellowBelly's picture

I actually think it would be a good thing if she called the cops, she has called them 3 times in the last 2 weeks. One due to my DH texting her to let her know he was running 15 minutes late to drop SK8 off to her for her weekend. She called the cops saying he was violating the order. They sent her home. She also called the cops because she had made SK8 a dental appointment and DH is in charge of all medical care and told her that SK8 already had an appointment and couldn't take her. Cops sent her home. She called CPS this week because sk8 told her BM that she was always hungry and we never bought food ... (total LIE) CPS came left and said they were sorry for the intrusion,
If she called the cops over this too I think by the next court date she would look like a complete fool.

realitycheckmom's picture

BM has to prove what you said damaged her reputation/hurt her monetarily/was a lie. I think you are safe. But make your page private. Smile

jaal's picture

Yeah, I agree. Why not just lock down all the privacy settings on your Facebook? You have her blocked, but why not make your profile non-searchable and anyone who isn't your friend can't see anything but your name? I've had mine that way for months now: it's very peaceful.

Let her call the cops. They'll laugh.

oneoffour's picture

My FB is locked down. And create groups of friends to customize your 'audience' with specific posts. But then you could mess with her by having her BF in an 'audience of one' and post comments like "Buying a new truck! SO excited!" "Test was positive Yay!"

My FB has ALWAYS been locked down to friends only. My personal thoughts are not for public consumption.

jumanji's picture

ACTUALLY... A judge *could* order you to refrain from discussing anything about Mom and the situation. BTDT.

Sunflower1's picture

There have been cases, such as the guy who wrote the pysco ex wife. Btw...if its written its libel not slander.

Sunflower1's picture

Opps, one more thing, the cops can't do anything ( like write you a ticket) from my understanding libel and slander are both civil not criminal matters.

Sunflower1's picture

I get what you're saying dtzy. I posted somewhere on here that the ex would also have to prove malice. Libel and discloser of private fact are two separate torts, one is something that is true but shouldn't be disclosed unless they happen to be a public person. Libel is a falsehood like slander, just written instead of spoken ( yes, I know I'm splitting hairs :)). I don't think she has anything to worry about, but huge can of worms to open.

YellowBelly's picture

Well, within the comments of the post I was asking questions about the drugging of her kid. Also, I don't ever leave the house and therefor do not get to speak to any adults. My DH works all day and comes home around 5-6 and is asleep by 8pm. I'm not really going for the "calling her out" but sometimes I need to vent and get these things out to get opinions. The SD8 already knows that the BM was drugging her and not doing the right thing (and not by me) so it really wouldn't make a difference if SD8 saw it or not.

SD8 LIES about everything, you cannot trust a word she says.

YellowBelly's picture

I made it private, so that is done. However, I never cared who saw what and that is why I left it public. I could care less what she saw or didn't see, I was wondering if I could get in legal trouble. Sounds like my question was answered. Smile

YellowBelly's picture

Well for one, I do not have a car to leave the house. Nor do I have a phone, if I did I have no one to call. My questions was about legal trouble, that is all.

Disneyfan's picture

You are stirring the pot and causing trouble.

The crazy BM I deal with does this all the time. When DF confronts her about, she plays dumb. She's in her 30s but acts like a silly teen.

emotionaly beat up's picture

Your boyfriend had just won custody and you felt the need to what......rub it in BMs face. You knew she could have seen that on her bfs page. You were gloating. I really don't blame her for being angry. All you succeeded in doing was cause more drama. And you think BM is a problem.

FOR FUTURE REFERENCE. FACEBOOK IS ANYTHING BUT A DISCREET METHOD OF COMMUNICATION. But then I'm sure you knew that when you created the drama and the post.

twoviewpoints's picture

Once BM figures out she's using the wrong source to fight her 'battles' (the police instead of the courts), you can bet your behind she'll pull out each and every screen shot and hand them to her lawyer.

Just because you did not use names won't get you off the hook. No Einstein needed to know exactly who you're writing about. You had an open FB account. You write of BM, Sks, exW blah blah. You've personal photos ect of you and your family. No judge is going to be so naive as to buy your excuse story. You didn't just post you think the woman is a fool, you accused her of child abuse.

If you seriously believe the sk is being drugged, the place to 'report' concerns is DCFS/CPS (whatever your state calls it). True story...a number of years ago, a lady not living far from me did od her child when drugging it for bedtime. The kid died. Now stop and ask yourself. Do you really post what you did, where you did, out of concern for the sk? Or did you post it and where you did it toss rocks at BM in a very public way aka to cause harm with malice?

You did manage to find your way here and sign up under an anonymous status to people who know nothing about who you, BM, sks, ect are. You are managing to vent and spill to the 'outside world'. If you need to post what you think of BM, best to do it here. Facebook under your real name on your personal page is just asking for trouble.

sterlingsilver's picture

My ex was able to get to my FB account through my bs and took photo's of the page of my bs and my discussions, it was private messages too, and took them to court when I was fighting for custody. My attorney and the judge both slapped his wrists nicely and said tut tut. Yea, he thought he had me but in the messages I did not mention names or specific details, so only anyone knowing the circumstances would know but it was not "admissible". Silly boy. haha

Since then I have locked down my account and everything I say on there is completely vague and no names, etc.

I love sunflowers quote:

"When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser" Socrates"

My ex tried soooo hard to slander me. My attorney told me that b/c it's a free country he can take out a full page ad slandering me and I could not take him to court. But my husband did it in a worse way then publicly, he printed off all the crappy divorce stuff and gave a copy to each of my kids' teachers and all of our old friends, etc. He even hung fliers on all our neighbors mail boxes. Crazy fool b/c it made him look bad but he didn't see it that way.

twoviewpoints's picture

"What kind of mother puts their 8 year old child to bed at 7pm with a dose of benedryl every night? (isn't that abuse of some kind or something?) Anyway, A BIG CHEERS to my BF for winning full custody of his daughter this week!"

I think the difference here would be that OP is posting on her very public FB account and not private messages. While a judge in child custody court might disregard the postings, a small claims suit may not.

If the BM figures out she can have a cease and desist letter sent she can persue with a small claims libel suit. It would be a private suit against the OP by the BM.

By the way, Sterling, what your ex did to you was horrible. Totally below the belt over the line childish stunt. But again, the material he handed out (what a jerk) was documented records from a divorce case. Not the same as running your mouth (fingers) with off the wall not documented wind. Different courts different ballgame.

AER83's picture

Yea for everyone's sake in the long run just delete everything and make your page private. The comments could be used in a future battle over custody. Congrats on full custody, just be careful in the future because things could get really ugly with custody type stuff.

Anon2009's picture

What you posted, to be honest, is something better blogged about here. If you don't leave your house during the day, create a blog about the annoying qualities/behaviors of your sks here. Even when names aren't mentioned, issues are better/less severe when they're not aired on Facebook.

YellowBelly's picture

JUST FOR THE RECORD, BM had me blocked for a whole year. When I did post that, I did not know she would see that!! She unblocked me for less than 24 hours when I found out and I immediately blocked her back. So it was not to "bait her"
I never named names, she did get into legal trouble for drugging her kid. She was dosing her with Benedryl and putting her to bed BY 7pm.
There was no DR. recommendation because she is not allowed to take SK8 to any DR. because she was taking her to the ER every weekend to try and get her pills for BM to take.

So, perhaps some of you don't understand the whole situation here, but it wasn't any type of "shout out" to get to her. I have been blocked for a year by her! She happen to unblock me just the other day to snoop around and that was what she found. The post was back on April 15th, the day my DH won full custody.

Disneyfan's picture

OMG

If I didn't know better I'd say you're the crazy BM I deal with.

You didn't have to use her name for her to know who you're talking about. .Unless you have several BFs who all have BMs who all did the same thing, it's not hard to figure out who the post was about.

YellowBelly's picture

That was the only thing I have ever put on FB about it and I was blocked, how would that be stirring it up? If you only knew the things she does Beee

YellowBelly's picture

Disneyfan,

You are calling me crazy without even knowing me? I am REACTING to 2 years of completely ignoring her insanity, I can only handle so much.....if you read the post, it was not that ridiculous!!! She just got done accusing me of starving her overweight daughter and called CPS. It was my last straw, so go ahead and call me crazy. This woman has slit her own wrists in front of her daughter TWICE! She has called the cops 12 times in the last year and made false allegations. SO I posted on FB. Call me crazy.

Disneyfan's picture

I didn't say you were crazy. I said you SOUND like the crazy woman I deal with.

Besides, I didn't name names so why are you annoyed? Wink

Yellowbelly, your original post clearly states BM saw the post you wrote on Facebook because she went through her bfs account. Then when you were called on that you claimed in a later post that BM had you blocked for a year and just happened to unblock you on the other day and snoop on your page. Which story is the lie. Or perhaps both stories are lies. You are FB friends with her boyfriend and claim you didnt think she would see the post. What, you didnt think her boyfriend would pass it on either. And why exactly would you be friends on Facebook with BMs boyfriend, just another reason to push her buttons I expect.

If you keep this attitude up towards your SDs mother, you are going to have a very difficult time with that child, and that is going to impact on your own relationship. BM may very well have the last laugh here.

I stick with my original comment. You did it because your boyfriend won custodyand you were just gloating and trying to rub BMs nose in it. You were being mean, immature and nasty. No wonder you have no friends to talk to.

My opinion has been cemented by the lie or lies you just told in regards to how BM saw the comment. Because either you lied in your initial blog, or you lied in a later post, or you lied about both. And because you were able to find this site to come running to once you thought she could get you legally, but you couldn't find it to blog anonymously in the first place instead of using Facebook. And, of course, here you are a woman who says she never leaves the house, has no phone and if she did would have no one to call, says that Facebook is your only social interaction, and you have an open Facebook page, therefore if any of that is true you would be well aware Facebook was anything but discreet.

I hope she can take action against you, it might just give you a wake up call. Leave this woman alone.

YellowBelly's picture

I was NOT nor have ever been friends with her boyfriend on FB, I didn't even know he had a FB account until BM told dh that on the phone. She blocked me a year ago, unblocked me, I re-blocked her and what I gather from a phone convo is that she then went on her BF's account since my page was public. Sounds like you would be an awful manipulative SM to deal with, geez! Thanks for the attack !

Yes, I was gloating. SO WHAT?

Disneyfan's picture

If you have a so what attitude about the whole thing, why are you worrying about her calling the police?

BM is reacting to your immature gloating. Instead of acting like a silly teen (hashing things out on facebook),she's dealing with it like an adult. She's barking up the wrong tree right now, but if she keeps digging, she will find a way to deal with you.

YellowBelly's picture

I never did it rub it in her face if I was blocked at the time of the post!!!! As for the friend comment, I just moved here from another state. You are really mean!

Bee9404's picture

What on Earth did you write that she thinks she has a case for the cops? Are you discussing something that isn't legal and admitting that you are taking part in it (drugs, murder, theft, etc)? If not, then lol... she doesn't have a "case" and she will piss off the cops who need to tend to REAL cases if she bugs them because she has hangups about her ex's new lady. My step daughter's mother has pulled similar threats relating to facebook... she once demanded to my husband that I remove all photos of her daughter from my PRIVATE facebook that she'd hacked, and she copied and documented a message my husband had sent her clarifying that he's never and will never have any feelings for her and telling her to back off of me (they were never an item, they were only bedroom pals for a few weeks, but she expected the pregnancy to spark a flame and was enraged when she realized it would never happen- he and I are about to celebrate our 9th anniversary). She can file that letter if she wants and we will laugh along with the police if she tries to turn it in and have him arrested for not loving her, or have me arrested for having private photos of my family, lol. Let her scream, sometimes you just need to let the "kids" throw a fit and ignore them.

I was right. Not only do you now admit you were gloating, but your comment of SO WHAT says it all. And you think other people are mean. Your boyfriend won custody that very day and you had time to stick it up BM. Now that is mean.