You are here

BM up to something sneaky need help Figuring what it is

Stepmomnotroses's picture

BM Retired from her 20 yr state job. BM had better health insurance so the kids have been on hers. 

Well last week BM sent DH a email with attached dental bill for $400 for older SD20. BM said SD20 no longer has dental insurance so DH "share" is $200. Now number one WHY does SD20 no longer has dental insurance? State workers get insurance for life I thought PLUS SS15 STILL has coverage so why not SS20? I'm New York State child support and health coverage goes to 21. 

BM is Obviously up to something or trying to hide something from DH BUT what? What reason would younger SS still have dental insurance but older SD does not? 

notarelative's picture

While child support and health coverage go to 21, that may or may not be true for dental coverage provided by the company or state government. Dental is usually considered separate from health by insurance companies.. For why SS15 is covered and SD20  isn't, DH is going to have to ask BM. But, note that my dental insurance says: Dependent children are covered under these benefits up until the end of the year that they turn 19.

Survivingstephell's picture

If she getting retirement benefits she might be only able to add those whom she can claim as a dependent on taxes. That's the way it works for us.  

Stepmomnotroses's picture

You mentioned "Dependent". Now SD is 20 BUT since child support goes to 21 AND parents are supposed to cover health/dental till 32 Doesn't this mean SD20 would still be considered a " Dependent "

ndc's picture

The definition of dependent can be different for different things. Child support laws have nothing to do with insurance contracts. A child could be a dependent for one but not the other.

Rags's picture

This has to be the breeders communist republic of NY.

smh

tog redux's picture

I'm in NY too, so I'd be shocked if the state didn't require dental coverage to go to at least 21, especially for state workers, even after retirement.  My SS is 21 and still covered in all ways by BM's insurance. She's not a state worker, but state worker benefits are even better. 

Perhaps SD moved out and BM doesn't want DH to know because CS would end? Can he just ask BM why she no longer has insurance?

ETA: do a Google search, my guess is that info on state worker benefits is all online. BM here works at a private college and hers were all online. We were able to use that info - we found she was eligible for a small scholarship for SS that she hadn't mentioned using. She was pissed because she had to share that benefit with DH. 

tog redux's picture

I couldn't resist so I did a little searching myself - looks like it does terminate at age 19. I'm surprised! 

Ispofacto's picture

Make sure any payments DH makes go directly to the provider and make sure they are for the child

Before she lost custody our BM sent DH an email demanding $100 for the full cost of taking SD to a dental cleaning.  The problem is, cleanings are 100% included on our insurance, AND BM is responsible for half of everything.

So DH responded that he would take SD to the appointment.  So then BM responded that it might not be $100 after all.

Turns out she wanted the money for herself just because, or wanted DH to pay for her cleaning.  We never heard a peep from her after that, she backpedaled and said she'd take her.

She's 100% grifter, all the time.