You are here

Arrears and Taxes

Stepmomed's picture

I haven't been on here in 6 years and today I've learned the hard way that filing taxes with my husband is a mistake. Not only does BM get her money (which fine whatever) but I owe the tax people money because they misquoted how much I'd get back for injured spouse claim. I'm half tempted to file for a divorce so I can file and HOH next year. BM wins she always wins. She refuses to let DH be a part of his sons life and DH is tired of fighting it (win for BM) she gets a good chunk of his check which ain't much (win for BM) and she has a husband who doesn't have all these issues DH has but who is too scared to leave her. 

Cover1W's picture

DH found out the hard way after me telling him for years that due to his IRS debt (thanks BM!) We had to file single but married, keeping my taxes separate.

Last year he insisted on filing jointly. I warned him. Our entire return paid off his debt and he owed me. I made sure he paid me what the IRS took.

You should be able to file as married but single returns.

Stepmomed's picture

I told him today he better figure out how to pay his arrears within the next 2 years because SS16 will be 18 and he really needs to get caught up. I won't use that tax company ever again. If I had known they'd mess up the injured spouse claim that was quoted to me I wouldn't have filed my taxes. This is the first time this has happened with us filing married and jointly. Never again. 

advice.only2's picture

Shoot DH and I filed married but separate this year as it saved us a bunch of money   Being married really has no benefits anymore.

Stepmomed's picture

What's the point in being married now days 

CLove's picture

When the against outnumber the for - I dont see a point anymore. Although the commitment factor is stronger when married because the man has become afraid of losing everything in the divorce.

PushedToMyLimit's picture

We won't get married. My tax advisor said it is something to carefully consider as the tax implications are significant. I don't think you can both be Head of Household if married & that is a huge tax benefit when you each have your own kids.