My Inlaws are holding our rv hostage...
So this is part vent part need for advice. Back in 2010 we stored our rv on my mil or dh's grandpas property. We are unsure which as their property lines butt up and we don't know exactly whose property it is on. Apparently this was during better times when dh and Inlaws got along ok. We had sold our truck. The plan was whe dh got fully released from the army- that fil would bring it back or take it to another location for us to park it. Also during a 6 month time period we were having financial difficulties- dh was injured-had not startd receiving va compensation so Inlaws offered to pay our camper payments for 6 months while dh was away and in his final phase of out processing. No talk of this being a loan.
So fast forward to spring 2011. Dh comes home. Fil never feels like bringing the thing back over- dh asked multiple times. Since we can't move it ourselves we let it go and of course resumed payments. In actuality they only paid 3 payments because I paid months 1,3, and 6. Present day- fil is very pissy angry at dh for reporting someone opening credit cards in his name. Of course someone turned out to be sil. She is currently awaiting legal action. Dh's whole family of origin has turned against him. Sil made up many lies and family just chooses to believe them. So we realize we need to get this rv off their property. Dh finally calls and says something about getting it. He was told- he wasn't getting it until he paid the 6 months of payments. He was also told that they had already talked to an attorney and the attorney said they could keep it because it had been abandoned. This is a 30,000 rv. Dh told him tha he didn't not owe the money but we would pay the months they actually paid in order to not owe them anything and to just get the damn rv. Asked mil/ fil for receipts of what they paid. They do not feel like providing them and told us to do it.
We found someone to move it but it has to be done within the next week before this man goes out of town for months. Fil is jerking dh around and keeps telling him he'll think about it and so forth. In the meantime I'm getting irate, the rv is actually in my name alone. What are the legal rights here? I say we just call the damn sheriff to do peace keeping and go over and get the damn thing. Or I guess we could call an attorney. At this point I'd rather pay an attorney than my Inlaws. This was not a loan- has never been mentioned that way, no request for repayment until NOW. This is not fils property in any case. We do have to drive thru mils property to move it. Mil told dh once that she doesn't want the money and she didn't care if he got it, but that he'd have to talk to fil about it. Now she won't return calls.
Any advice? I'm still voting for calling the police for escort and getting the damn thing. We've been dicking around for about a week now about whether they are going to allow us to retrieve our own property.