You are here

Stepkids blew up on my husband

Abby L's picture

This is my last post: http://www.steptalk.org/node/218768

To sum it up. My stepkids stopped calling me mom. I've been raising them since they were 8 months old and it was their choice to call me mom. We never forced it or anything. But then a couple of years ago they started calling me Abby and would refer to me as their stepmother. It was all very hurtful and very unexpected. We couldn't figure out what was going on. Then my husband and I heard from their mothers parents that they had found a diary the mother kept while she was pregnant. There were some surprising things in it, like the fact she knew she was going to die (there had been some complications, but the doctors and everyone else had been optimistic). She also expressed her fear of being replaced once she was gone as she knew he would remarry and that they would probably see the new wife as their mom. She said it broke her heart thinking about it.

If you're wondering how they got it. My husband gathered a lot of their mothers things and put them in a chest. He never really took the time to look at what he put in the and the diary ended up among the stuff. We knew nothing about it until all this came out.

So my husband and I sat the twins down this weekend. We weren't sure how we were going to do it. But both of us agreed they need counseling. My husband took the lead and explained we found out why things had changed. He told them he understood how confused they must have been and that it probably hurt them to read how upset and scared their mom had been. He told them it didn't take away from what I'd done for them, though, and he told them we thought it would be a good idea for them to talk to someone and help them work through everything they were going through. Well, that seemed to have upset my stepson and he exploded. He started shouting at my husband. Stepson told my husband he was putting my feelings before his and his sisters. He said no matter how much he pretends I'm their mom, I'm not and I never will be again. Stepson said he and his sister don't love me anymore, stepdaughter agreed, and he said he doesn't want to be part of the fake family anymore. It escalated and things got heated. There was a lot of anger from my stepson and stepdaughter (though she was quieter). My husband told them counseling wasn't an option, they were going. Stepdaughter said they knew that, but he should lower his expectations because things weren't going to go back to the way they were before. She said if he pushed for them to call me mom, they'd hate him. And she also said they found it hard to forgive him (and themselves) for allowing them to call me mom when they were younger.

The tension in the house has been hard to live with. Their first counseling appointment is tomorrow and I'm not sure how it will go. I told my husband that he might be expecting miracles from them. But he seems to think this will be great and everything will go back to the way it was before. I'd love it if it did. I don't think so, though.

Abby L's picture

You're welcome. It feels so good to come here and write everything down. Thank you for the support, Sally.

Abby L's picture

Thank you. It's been difficult, especially after years of being called mom and being loved. To be almost shut out is extremely hard.

Counseling for us, or even just me, might be a good idea. I'm not sure my husband will go to counseling for himself. But I think I will suggest it.

Abby L's picture

They don't really come to me for anything anymore. They seem to prefer staying away from me, which hurts a lot.

Thank you so much for your advice!

misSTEP's picture

Like Tog said, the hardest thing for YOU is for you to see this as something normal they are going through and not something personal. They would probably react like this towards ANYONE that they felt was replacing their deceased mother.

It isn't personal and the worst thing your DH could do would be to force them to do something they don't feel comfortable with.

I think that counseling would be a great idea. A lot of teens say very hurtful things without realizing the impact of what they say.

B22S22's picture

My DS is 15, and I have a DD17. When I was 3 months pregnant with DS15, my firstDH was diagnosed with a terminal brain tumor. He was given 6 months to live, but far exceeded that - he passed when my DS was 3 years old and my DD was 5.

I think the best thing I ever did was get them into counseling, I took them to a place that is specifically for grieving children. Not only were the counselors well-versed in this, but my kids had the opportunity to be with other kids in their age groups who had also lost parents.

But I will tell you that my kids, even now, are not terribly close to my now-DH even though we've been married for 8 years. Yes, we had the up and down steplife and not everything was peachy but I think with kids, there is always going to be that element of "not my real parent". My DD has memories of my first DH, my son pretty much doesn't which I think sometimes makes it harder (even I, at 48, get anxious when I think about my own dad who I lost 16 years ago and I can't recall the sound of his voice or his "image" is blurry in my mind).

Question for you -- how is the relationship with the biomom's family? Is it good or somewhat contentious? My first DH's family pretty much turned their backs when my DH became gravely ill at the end (they couldn't handle it, so they ignored us) and then started in with the trying to get custody of my kids stuff after he passed (although they had no basis, other than thinking I'd never allow them to see their own grandkids -- I'm not a "bad" mom by any stretch). It got worse when I started dating my now-DH and got married. I know they criticize our family to my kids, which I'm sure makes it difficult for DS and DD.

I think you and your DH are doing the right thing by getting them into counseling. I think you hit the nail on the head believing that feelings/outlook changed when they read her journal. Reading her pour out her soul and grieve what she felt was coming had to be very difficult, especially at their young ages.

Good luck, and I wish you the best in all of this.

Abby L's picture

I'm so sorry about your husband. It must have been so hard on you and the children. And I'm sorry that there have been struggles with your step family, too. I think where it's hurt me the most is they did call me mom for so many years. To have it just stop was hard.

Their mothers family is great! They've always been supportive and they are the ones who told us when they found out about the diary. The kids adore them and have always had a good relationship with them, as have my husband and I. All of this has hit them extremely hard, too, because they never knew she was feeling like this. Her parents always believed she was as positive as the rest of them were at the time. And they didn't know the diary existed.

Thank you so much for the support. It truly means a lot to me.

B22S22's picture

That's a huge plus that you get along well with BM's family and they are supportive. That means you all will be on the same page to help these kids work thru whatever it is they are going thru. It's 1000 times more difficult when everyone is NOT on the same page.

I wasn't familiar with your first post so I went back and read it... I agree with what Echo said, that you can be 99.9% certain they will come full circle. Teenage years are hard enough without all of the other dynamics thrown in on top. Give them the time and the space they need.

furkidsforme's picture

Their dead mother is an angel and a saint in their minds, despite them growing up calling you "Mom". Then, during formative teen years, they stumble upon her diary where she says her heart would break if another woman was called "Mom" and allowed to raise her kids.

Their undeveloped teen brains can not wrap their heads around this. They can't understand that DH never knew this, or that even if he did, he likely would not have chosen a life of chastity in honor of the dead momma. In the minds of immature teens, that is what they likely think should have happened.

So of course their worlds are upside down. Of course they are enraged. They suddenly feel like they committed the ultimate betrayal against fantasy angel Mom. In their teen brains, there is likely no crime more heinous.

So let them call you Abby. You won't be "Mom" again. Ever. It might go far for you to mention that you had no knowledge of the diary, or their mothers concerns. If you had, you would have not been "Mom", but maybe Me-Maw or Nana or another term of endearment. Let them know it's ok to put the title "Mom" on a shelf just for Mom. You still love them, but you respect that it means a lot to them to hold that title for their bio mother.

misSTEP's picture

Maybe a better thing would be family counseling for all?

I disagree that going to a counselor infers they are broken. I think that practically everyone would get some benefit from counseling if they go in with an open mind.

misSTEP's picture

It would be nice if they could find some sort of support group as well so those kids can realize that they aren't alone in losing a parent.

ChiefGrownup's picture

I would have been tempted to tell them that to you they were somebody else's babies -- therefore "fake" babies, as the kids were saying. You should have turned your back on their helpless little selves. You could never love "fake" children. They have to be blood.

Since Dad could never be "mom" either, he should have just left them out on a rock in the wilderness like the ancients did.

Then I would take them out to the grave every single day. For about 3 or 4 hours every time. Maybe all day.

Take their logic to its natural conclusion. Let them see where it leads. They will learn if they can't spend their lives worshiping at a grave, neither could their dad. They will figure out she chose to love them just like they can choose to love her - blood ties are irrelevant.

I just can't buy into the idea that teens are supposed to be terrible and the rest of us have to just let them be terrible. Life is now. Not when they "grow out of it." Life is now.

ChiefGrownup's picture

You know, I might also point out to them that in court such a diary is usually not admissible evidence. It's for the very key reason that you can not cross examine the person who made the statements.

We are unable to ask this woman, "did you mean when you wrote this that you hoped these babies would be motherless? Were you writing about your feelings of fear for yourself or were you writing about your hopes for your babies? If you had lived and you proceeded to divorce would you have expected the babies' father to remain single and would you have remained single, too? Do you currently want your teen kids to feel overwhelmed with grief, arrested in their development, and turn their backs on people who were kind to them? Are you celebrating that your kids are now miserable and angry and alienated in their own home? Or would you rather they continued with a healthy adolescence in the loving home created by people who love them? Was it your especial desire that nobody love them after you died?"

Etc. and so forth.

Manhattan's picture

Abby L, I can only imagine how hurtful it must be to have children you have raised as your own treat you this way. My beloved DH was a widower with four mostly grown children when we started dating. His first wife had suffered a long battle with cancer, which the kids had to witness. I have been lucky to have good relationships with my stepkids and certainly never expected them to consider me as Mom. But I have watched them go thru some difficult periods that I attribute mostly to grief from their mother's death. Your situation seems somewhat similar, with the kids finding the diary & reconnecting with their BM. SD20 and I went through a rough patch for awhile. It seemed as though anything I suggested on any topic, she would find a way to do the opposite. So I took a step back, quit making suggestions or observations and for the most part quit doing anything for her. It has helped our relationship alot. I never intended to do so, but have wondered if she thought I was trying to take her mother's place. I think the kids will eventually find their way back to you, but it may take quite a long time. My suggestion would be to give them as much space as you can. And wholeheartedly agree with earlier comment, get a puppy!

MissDirected's picture

Manhattan, I'm wondering... When you & your SD were going thru your rough patch, did you become very resentful of her at all? In my situation I have disengaged but have often wondered that if everything became rainbows & butterflies again, would I ever be able to get over or let go of the resentment & like her again?

bearcub25's picture

Very good advice. Tell your DH to just back off of them for now. You can disengage for little bit too.

I would bet that after they have processed all of the info they have, they will start to rebuild a relationship with you again.

Right now, they feel they have let their Mother down and they feel guilt. As they mature more, they will be able to move forward easier.

DarkStar's picture

Yes, back off, not for just their sakes, but for your own. Give your heart time to heal.

And I agree...no more "mom" type things. They are old enough to know that their words and actions are hurtful and there are consequences to such actions, regardless of the reasons behind their words and actions.

"Fake" family indeed.....that actually kind of pisses me off. What about adopted children? Foster children? Children of gay couples? Children being raised by other family members? Is everything outside of a nuclear mom/dad situation a "fake" family? That's just crap right there and I think they need to be called out on that, whether they are hurting or not.

paul_in_utah's picture

That's a sad story. Unfortunately, it does not change this important fact: NOTHING TRUMPS BLOOD. I learned this the hard way over the years, as have many others on this site. In a sense, you actually have the scenario most conducive to success (bio-parent is deceased), and you are still having problems. It is even worse when the bio-parent is still around.

I'm sure you're still working through all of your feelings, but in the end I'll think you'll be happier if you just disengage and let your DH handle things. You can't make the skids love you, and based on what you've shared, they're not likely to start loving you on their own. That really sucks.