You are here

Step daughter advice

Mystery23's picture

So my partner daughter came from their country but she staying with his brother and sis in law.

My SD is 15 and still very early day she seems to be getting on with my son whom is 16 really well. We also have a baby nearly 6mths.

I have no problems with her at the moment just feel overwhelmed kind of emotional she finally here.

I know as time goes will encounter problems and today my SD mother called my partner I suppose I am trying not to feel weird about this.

The thing is my partner and I before his daughter came here we was having problems between us and for me felt like on the verge of splitting with him. Now she here have put all my issues with him aside we are okay but like I said still quite overwhelming.

All of a sudden there is 3 children now. Again she seems a lovely girl but in time she could just be a typical teen girl.

I also have a stepmother myself but still feeling weird as I am telling my partner things to make him understand. As it's not possible at the moment for her to come live with us. She did ask me when we was going back to visit her at her uncles. But I said her dad will be collecting her soon before we going away together. 

Any advice how to approach all of this

I thought I be prepared but honestly it's weird for me. She calls me Ma which is something they say out of respect and it just odd. 

Also the biggest worry I have is her being with my brother in law daughters and think one feeling funny she is there now. I know she will come to us one day too. 

JRI's picture

The good news is she's with other famiy members now. Is this just a visit or is she moving to your country?

I was always nervous when my SD came, too.  You don't mention any particular problems with her yet, that's good.  Just try to be casual and polite.  All you can do is wait and see how it goes.  Good luck!