You are here

Overwhelmed and struggling

Bluenoser's picture

Hello everyone. This is my very first post, after stumbling across this forum online after a few weeks of anxiety, frustration, and lots of tears.

I’ll provide some history of my role as a SM, for context, and then get into what’s been happening of late. I met my partner in 2018, and immediately knew he was the one for me. The feelings were reciprocated, and we were engaged shortly into our new relationship and I moved in with him. This is certainly nothing I had ever planned, and didn’t see as ideal given the potential negative impacts of ones kids meeting their new partner too soon and that relationship failing shortly after. When I did meet his kids – two girls, then aged 9 and 12 – we hit it off really well. They were wanting their dad to meet someone who made him happy, as he had been divorced for approximately 7 years by that time. It was an incredibly messy divorce, and his ex-wife is a “piece of work” to say the least. Our new living arrangement had its challenges in the beginning, mostly for me as I had always lived alone as an adult and adjusting to living with a partner, let alone a partner with kids, was all new. It was an adjustment somewhat for the kids too now having to share time with dad, but we always put them first and it was pretty seamless of a transition. There is little to no communication with their BM, unless needed, and there have been some difficulties in parenting with different values. Our home has more strict rules and expectations, and now that both girls are in their teens – YSD is 13 and OSD just turned 16 – they want more independence. This is to be expected at that age, but it’s mostly with my OSD. This is where I’ll explain what has been happening the past year.

She got her learner’s permit at 14 – which is incredibly bonkers to me, as I didn’t grow up in this part of the country, and you have to be 16 to get your learner’s where I come from. We have two vehicles, and my vehicle was a sportier car while her dad drives a truck. I allowed her to use my vehicle to practice driving, and she would drive her dad’s truck to practice as well. When she started her grade 10 year in school, she was with us on our weekend, and came into our room after midnight and woke up her dad telling him there was someone outside vandalizing the car. We immediately got up, and I called 9-11 to report someone being outside. My DF went outside to see what was going on to find the front end of vehicle completely crushed, and when I went out to join him (while still on the phone with 9-1-1) I immediately knew this was the result of an accident and not someone vandalizing. I didn’t say anything to my DF, but my gut told me she wasn’t being honest. The officer who showed up shortly after agreed, and told my OSD he didn’t buy her story and asked  her repeatedly about where the accident took place. She lied to him, and he asked for her license and went to his vehicle. My DF and I both confronted her and she eventually fessed up. Long story short, she was issued a ticket for driving unsupervised. However, the officer was very frank with her about her extremely irresponsible decision as she hit a vehicle, left the scene, lied to a police officer and didn’t even have a driver’s license to be driving at that time alone. I was devastated, and extremely angry, and my DF was heartbroken. I confiscated her cell phone, and the next morning my DF called her BM what happened. We ended up meeting later in the day, and both my DF, myself, her BM and her BM’s boyfriend talked to her. She was told she was going to need to get a job to pay for the ticket, and I told her she was expected to pay for any financial impacts.

I reported the incident to my insurance company, and to make a long story short, I didn’t have collision. That means, if I was to hit another vehicle – or if someone driving my vehicle hit someone – it wouldn’t be covered. I knew that, as when I moved to this area and changed my insurance, my cost to insure sky rocketed. The province I live in has extremely high rates, and I was okay with having one way insurance in the event I got into an accident or my partner did. I didn’t really think about this when she started using my car, but we were always with her (because she cannot legally drive alone) and we limited where we would allow her to drive. My insurance company refused to insure the vehicle, even though it was reported as a theft because I did not charge her with theft. They told me to “put my money where my mouth is” essentially, and to charge her with theft if I wanted them to cover it as a stolen vehicle. I didn’t think this was the right thing to do for various reasons, and instead told me she  needed to pay for the loss of my vehicle. My DF agreed, but he told me if I wanted to charge her to do it because she needed to learn a lesson. She didn’t really appreciate what she had done, and I believe she picked up some things from her BM as she made the statement “I should have had insurance.” I don’t think that’s something my OSD would have come up with on her own, but would have  heard her mom say. It infuriated me. My insurance rates are going up because they paid for a rental vehicle for a few days, but I was responsible for the other $140 for my rental, and they deemed me being 100% at fault. The man whose truck she hit said he would settle for $1000 cash so we wouldn’t have to go through insurance. It was very reasonable given the make and model of his truck, and the damage would have been more to repair through insurance (in addition to again making my rates go up). Her BM agreed to pay for half of the $1000 and her mom paid for the $324 ticket. When I addressed her having to pay for my loss of the vehicle, she told me that was between her daughter, my DF and myself. The agreement was to pay me 80% of her paycheque on the days she was paid, and the additional 20% goes into savings and to her (10% each). She got a job eventually, and was working a lot of hours. She eventually got fired, and went months without having another job. She has a job her mom got her and works about 12 hours a week. She chose to work on the evenings she’s supposed to be with her dad, and for a while she wouldn’t even show up on dad’s nights whether she was working or not. To date, she’s paid me $1525 and was asked to pay me $10,000. I had the car assessed for private sale value, and it is slightly less than the maximum amount it was assessed for.

Well, now we’re in June. She got her license yesterday, as she recently just turned 16. Her BM sent me an email out of the blue asking me how much her daughter has paid and how much she has remaining. She finished the email with “Also, I can’t remember what year/ make/model your little car was?” This immediately put red flags up for me. For context, her mom is very money hungry and my DF comes from a wealthy family. My DF is not wealthy, and works very hard as did his family in order to earn their wealth. My DF has an extremely good work ethic, and when he was married to his ex, he had a better paying job and she didn’t have a high school diploma. He paid for her to go and get a business diploma for adults without high school education, and his family connections got her a job. She always spent more than they made, and she would go and make big ticket purchases and then ask if she could buy something only for him to find out she had already purchased the item. She had always demanded more child support for things the CS was supposed to cover, and has taken him to court over him having equal custody. I fully believe she doesn’t want the custody to be 50/50 because  he won’t have to pay her CS. The girls have said they wanted to do week on and week off, but she refuses to let them and my DF doesn’t have the money to take her back to court. They’re now getting older where they can decide, and my YSD has told us she wants to do week on and week off, so we may try this with the new school year. I’m stressed out she’s going to try and not make my OSD pay.

This has caused a significant amount of stress and anxiety on me, on top of an already incredibly stressful 2 years. We had a house fire, I work in public health and COVID has been incredibly stressful on my work life, my partner was injured and needs surgery, and my mom was diagnosed with cancer the past couple of months. My OSD is rebelling more, and isn’t wanting to come over on our weekends or her dad’s nights, and I think it’s because we’re more strict. On her 16th birthday, her mom allowed her to have a party at her house (even though it was our weekend) and she allowed my OSD to drink and the kids who attended to drink. My DF doesn’t agree with this, but feels at a loss when he brings this up because her BM doesn’t care. It’s one thing to allow a child to have one drink in your presence, but this was beer funneling and drinking to the point of getting drunk. I feel emotionally involved, and when I see this type of behavior being allowed, it makes me angry and anxious and I find it hard to concentrate on anything but. I talk to my partner about it, and he tells me not to worry about it and that my OSD will learn her lesson the hard way when she messes up again. Talking to BM is like talking to a rock, and I’m finding myself just feeling like this is affecting my relationship with my partner. He’s extremely supportive, but I struggle a lot with anxiety and depression. I have anxious thoughts, and when something bothers me those thoughts become obsessive and intrusive. I don’t know what to do. I’m at the point now where I want to disengage and focus on my YSD, who is completely different, and my DF. For my own sanity, I need to find a way to stop thinking about it constantly. I don’t come from divorce, and I have never had a partner in life who was divorced. I know teens can be difficult, and I remember what it was like being a teen. My friend told me it’s only a number of years until she’s an adult, and the kids will be grown up, but I want these years to be happy and joyful and I want my SDs to be well adjusted, smart, successful and making healthy choices. Mom has even told her kids she didn’t want to be a mom, and my DF’s family members have told me his ex-wife never prioritized being a mom. It explains the behavior, as well as the life she lived in her teens (i.e. parting, drinking, doing drugs, dropping out of school, etc.). I just don’t understand why you wouldn’t want your kids to be better and make better, more responsible choices.

I’m sorry this is a long winded post. I’m just looking for some support from people who understand how difficult it can be to have SKIDS. PS I don’t have any children of my own. I can’t recall if I said that already.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

JRI's picture

As I read about your SD's accident, it reminded me of the "happy" night my SD60, then 15, sneaked my new, sporty car out and had an accident.  Thankfully, nobody was hurt and it was insured but what a bureaucratic hassle.  What upset me most, though, was the work and effort it took me to get that car and the total disregard and lack of contrition she showed.  (When she turned 16, Daddeeee bought her a new Firebird).

I also related to the looser standards at BM's house.  Wei went thru that, too, not to mention lying, theft, shoplifting, drugs and runaways,

You said you'd like their teen years to be happy and joyful.  Sigh, we all wish that.  But as BM and SM of 5 who are all now range from 55-60, I can't remember those years being especially joyful or happy.  Busy, interesting and full of surprises might be the most charitable way to describe them.

If I were you, I'd try to disengage somewhat from the older girl.  Let DH handle her.  You sound like you have your hands full with your job, your mother and the other issues.  Concentrate your efforts on your marriage.

I hate to tell you this but my SD was and is a continuing source of trouble.  She moved in here full time at 15, moved in and out over the years and we now subsidize her housing.  Six months ago, she wrecked her uninsured car and Dad bought her another.  I separated our finances 6 years ago and disengaged as much as possible and that's how I cope.  But she continues to be the loose cannon n our lives.

Good luck and peace to you

caninelover's picture

is similar to mine except for one big difference.  My SD Bratty McBratFace (stb 25) was 18 when SO and I met.  I don't think I would have pursued a relationship with him if he had younger kids.  At least your SO seems to see the issues with SD and tries to discipline and guide.  But it is an uphill battle with such a trainwreck of a BM.  Sorry you have to deal with this on top of COVID.

24 years as a SM's picture

In California, if both divorced parents have joint legal custody, then your DH is responsible for anything SD16 does that is illegal. If she gets in an accident, and found at fault, not only is the legal car owner responsible, both parents are responsible for any costs too. Another factor is that both parents have to sign for the kid to get their driver's license, DAH(Dumb A$$ Husband) didn't think twice and signed for SD(Leech) to get her license at 16. Within 6 days, while she was out "looking for a job" she ran a red light and caused an accident. Needless to say we were named in a lawsuit and so was BM, to the tune of 5 Million dollars, because one of the people in the accident died 11 months after. It was a complete fraudulent suit, but our insurance company, paid the family $15,000 to settle out of court. I was absolutely furious and told DAH to go to the DMV and resend his signing for Leech's license until she is 18 or I would kick his ass out and file for divorce.

Liability for these entitled brats is very high for divorced parents, because so many are trying to win all the affection from the skid. Have your DH check to see if he can be held  financially liable for this brat. If he did have to sign for her drivers license, I would suggest contacting the DMV and see what his options are.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Wow, your bf's kid is a juvenile delinquent. You and the owner of the truck are the victims, yet you're picking up the tab for most of the crime. Why? It sounds like you were too nice, and neither bio parent has done enough to compensate you. What exactly HAS your bf paid for? IMO it's a red flag he didn't pay you immediately, and the police should have been called. SOMEBODY should have made you whole right after the crime.

The current repayment plan isn't working; you're making sacrifices for someone else's kid, and you're getting screwed. You need to get tough and have a hard convo with your bf. The sooner you get paid, the sooner you all can move forward and less resentment there will be between you and the delinquent.

Regarding steplife in general, while each situation is unique, there are some basic truths. Here's a few:

• Nice guys finish last, and step life will use you up if you let it. 
  • Those aren't your kids, you are NOT required to parent or support them financially, and you should not martyr yourself for them.
  • Listen to your gut, it's your warning system.
  • You can disengage/take whatever steps necessary to give you peace, ie lock up your stuff, your bedroom door, your keys, whatever.
  • You don't have to communicate with BM. 
  • It's your partner's responsibility to handle the baggae and protect you from any fallout from it.
  • The weaker the parenting, the harder steplife is.
  • Boundaries are healthy and necessary.

You are a catch, a high earning professional woman with no baggage!  And your friend is wrong; problematic skids don't magically become well-adjusted adults and leave at eighteen. They can't, because they've been poorly parented and lack both the judgement and life skills to gain independence. We have members in their seventies who are STILL dealing with difficult adult skids. 

Bluenoser's picture

We did call the police the night it happened, but with charges I didn't want her to have a record. Although as a juvenile, had she been behaved it would have been expunged at 18. My partner has been really supportive, and he paid $500 towards the guy's truck and $5000 as a deposit on my new vehicle. BM paid the other $500. He wants to sell his truck and put it on my vehicle, and save for a good used car. I don't want him to do that. I just want her to pay off my loss and move on. The BM didn't care until it affected her financially, which is the reason she contacted me the other day. I need to see a therapist sonI can figure out how to cope and not dwell on things that happened and how to disengage without alienating myself from my SKIDS. My OSD is overall a good kid. She's a typical teen and has confided in things with me that she hasn't told her mom about. She's using the two household situation to her advantage, and I know she'll dramatize things she thinks are unfair at our house to her mom. But I know she has her issues there too with her BM's boyfriend. 

Winterglow's picture

Is it too late to go after her for theft? If you can, do it! Put the responsibility right where it belongs, on her and her parents' shoulders. 

Merry's picture

NONE of this is your problem to fix. You were kind to provide things for your SD, but no matter how nice you are and how much you want her (and SO and BM for that matter) to be age appropriately responsible, you can't make that happen.

Many of us have made the mistake of trying too hard for too long, spending emotional energy and financial resources only to be dismissed or take advantage of. It doesn't get better when they become "adults" (read the Adult Forum section and you will see that there are stepkids as old as 60 still causing havoc). For me, that early adult period was an absolute emotional and financial drain for me, until I put boundaries in place thanks to the help of a good therapist for myself. Highly recommended.

When the Bank of Merry closed I was accused of being selfish, cold, uncaring, arrogant, unsupportive. Yet neither DH nor SS could see that their expectation of my financial support was selfish and arrogant, etc., on their part. Somehow that was different.

Your relationship is with your SO. Nurture that if it's a healthy relationship, and become like a distant relative or neighbor to the SD.

Bluenoser's picture

So I texted BM and copied my partner and told her how much my OSD owed and how much she paid to date. She asked make, model and year and my partner asked her why. Long story short, she is faced with a $330 insurance increase per month for my OSD to be added as a casual driver. She thinks my partner should either have to help pay or my OSD should have to pay. I told her the value of my car, and that's a consequence of Emma having an accident. BM responds by saying so it's okay for her daughter to pay for my new car but not to help her with insurance. My partner reolied that it was a completely unnecessary car payment because his daughter stole and wrote off my car, and it wasn't the first time she took it. We told her my OSD can take the bus, walk, and work more hours. My OSD is lazy AF. Again, consequences. When she looked up my vehicle she found the lowest value - trade in - and said we're trying to rip off her daughter and that we hold this over her head and beat her down. NONE of that is true, of course. I reminded her I could have pressed charges, but I didn't. I don't know if I still can, but I don't think thays helpful (especially since it's been 10 months). I can take her to small claims court if she refused to pay. This is only an issue because now BM is being impacted. I told her that too, that she had total disregard for my situation and only now that it's impacting her financially, she cares. She started accusing my partner of only contacting my OSD when he wanted her to pay me, which is a lie. He does text his daughter when its been a few days since she's been paid and hasn't sent me the money. My partner calls and she never answers, and texts every day without a reply from her. I know SKIDS can potentially be monsters into adulthood. I love my partner, and he is supportive. He's a great dad, and unfortunately BM has them more and fought to keep them from 50/50. She tells tells them her story of the divorce without giving them the whole picture. I'm not allowing BM or drama to ruin my relationship. I think the best thing is therapy, as again I have anxious depression and generalized anxiety. I HATE conflict of any kind and mostly need to learn some CBH to learn not to obsessively think about what happened, what's going on, what could happen, etc. Does anyone else do that and know how to deal? I also am open with my partner about disengaging in a way that focuses on our relationship and nurturing the relationship with my YSD, who is completely different and comes over and enjoys her time with us. He understands and supports that. It's just stressful. I'm happy I found this site where people understand, but I'm sad tp see so many going through this too. Ugh! God bless y'all for sticking through it. 

RoundIGo's picture

Wow. Pretty kind of you not to press charges, my brother took my car without my permission and I was also hesitant to report it stolen. I hope that you are recompensed for your car someday in full. My brother and I were estranged and all was dropped after enough time hmmm. I also ruminate SO MUCH. I can think myself into a depressive state if I allow my thoughts to get carried away. I am in individual and couples therapy. I use my toolbox of coping skills for my own mental health. If I focus on being healthy for me... if things get so bad I need to leave, I'll have my sanity. Nothing thus far has changed the dynamics so I have been working on acceptance. SMH not going too well. 

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Thanks for clarifying about your bf, but I'm gobsmacked either parent thinks their criminal minor daughter deserves to be driving at all. Why is this even a conversation? Where's the consequences? She's shown she lacks maturity and can't be trusted to make good decisions, and she isn't even following the CRAZY GENEROUS guidelines for repayment. Your bf should be saying "Given the seriousness of what SD did and the damage she caused, I do not agree she should be driving at all".

This repayment plan is NOT working for YOU. It's taking too long, causing you great stress, making you and your bf the "bad cops" and providing ammo for BM to foment discord. You're screwing yourself in an effort to be kind to people who don't deserve your kindness. Sorry, but I think you need to lawyer up or go to small claims court and hold the parents responsible. Since your bf has already paid you half the value of your car, he should be fine.

Therapy is always a good thing, but so is fixing what's causing you stress in the first place.

FWIW, a lot of parents either make their kids pay for their own auto insurance, or choose to wait until they're eighteen to drive. My YSD only got her license at eighteen after I gave thirty days notice as her chauffeur. The deal was if she was a passing full time college student she could live with us and drive my sporty second car, but she had to have her own insurance on it. Cool. I eventually discovered that she'd forged documents and had been driving without insurance for NINE MONTHS. I took her keys and donated the car to charity. Sometimes, you have to be tough in steplife.

Bluenoser's picture

Yeah, I realize that my aversion to conflict and trying to not have OSD hate me hasn't been the best course of action. My partner hasn't let her drive since, and he doesn't agree she should have her license. Where I live only one parent needs to consent, and mom's all in because she's free from having to drive her around. I'm not sure if I mentioned in my previous post, but my OSD told me that her mom said getting her license meams freedom. I'm sure she meant for herself and not her OSD. I'm not going to charge her, but small claims court is an option for up to two years. What saddens me the most is that BM has completely poisoned her, and are making us out to be the bad guys as you stated. Both my SDs were supposed to be here tonight, but only my YSD came. She said her sister won't be coming here anymore. I'm fine with that, and while my partner I'm sure is sad deep down, he's at the point where he's done fighting. My YSD was too young when they divorced to see and understand what was going on. I think that's fine, and support whatever his decision is. Relationships of all kinds are give amd take, and she's old enough to know she's being a selfish and entitled brat so why should we be agonizing over it. I just know she's going to have to live with the lifetime of regret if something happens to her dad and she hasn't made amends.