You are here

Clean house? I must be dreaming

Leanney's picture

Hey everyone! I'm new here Smile and got some issues with my stepkids.
I'm 26 married to the man I love dearly. His two kids(girls 18,16) live with us in their childhood house. They visit their mom once a week.
I like to keep my house clean and presentable. And I get no help at all! They treat me like their maid!
The only thing I've ever asked was don't leave your dirty dishes in the sink and don't leave your stuff in the living room. And I went on asking for a whole year..... I got upset, I yelled at my husband that he has has such horrible children... And still nothing!
2 days ago I woke up to a messy kitchen AGAIN! So I've sent them all a SMS that it's not o.k. I'm cleaning for the last time... bla bla bla.
Guess what! My kitchen looks like crap again! I told my husband that they all ingnored my request and he told me to tell them that I'm not going to cook for them for a week. Is it too much? I don't want a war at home, just a nice and clean kitchen! HELP!

Doubletakex3's picture

I occasionally go on strike. Then BF needs to step in and when he feels the pain personally he straightens the kids out. It's a cycle but it works. Hey, there are consequences in the real world so don't feel bad about it at all.

baseballgirly's picture

If those kids are 18 and 16.... they should be helping out!! Consequences may be the only option! I agree with going on strike from cooking. That and/or have a mental breakdown in front of them!! That may tune them up a bit!!

Leanney's picture

:? Well we have a war at home.... I'm really tired of it all. Started crying yesterday. All I ever wanted was a clean house and now no one talks to me.
Thank you all for your kind words. Helps me knowing I'm not alone.

Kes's picture

If you stop cleaning -it means you have to live in a shitty living room - Which I for one could not tolerate. I would stop cooking, but also get all the stuff they leave in the living room into a bin bag and throw it into the attic - do this every day and they will start wondering where their stuff is. Refuse to stop until they are tidying up after them.

Leanney's picture

So an update: I got an apology from the youngest SD for being rude. I told my husband that this is the last time I'm dealing with this and from now on it's all on him. I'll do just as Kes said: if the living room is messy their stuff will be thrown away. If my kitchen isn't clean my DH will have to clean it by himself. I deserve respect in my house but if I don't respect myself first and stop begging for order then I'll be ignored for the rest of my time here! Thank you all for your kind words of support!