You are here

13 year old step son has both myself and his father fed up!

losingit1990's picture

I need to vent and maybe get some advice from people who have been in a similar situation.

My step son is 13 years old. He has been a nightmare from the beginning. His mother also adds to the situation. Up until a few months ago she has harrassed us non stop until legal action was threatened. Yet now she torments us through him, although I feel like most of it just comes from him. He has the type of personality that if it's not all about him or for him he doesn't care or hates that anyone else gets attention or is happy. Also he is very materialistic and is constantly criticizing his father for not wearing brand name clothing or for not dressing the way he wants him to or not cutting and styling his hair the way he wants him to. He and his mother are catholic and he is going through first communion classes. So that's another thing. He will be upset that his dad won't go to church or follow his religion. We follow a different one and he has tried to get his dad to force me to remove my religious bracelet that I wear.

He is supposed to come over every other weekend from Thursday evening to Monday morning. But slowly they have been reducing that time. First they agreed for my husband to drop him off Sunday morning so he wouldn't have to get up so early on Mondays. Then they recently agreed from Friday evening to Sunday morning. Every time he comes over everyone is stressed out. He is constantly complaining about anything and everything. Especially since we don't want to be out all the time. He's used to being out all the time with his mother and going out til late at night with her and her friends. We will ask him what he wants to do it's usually to go to the mall, which we usually oblige but don't like to because of how many people are there. He won't do a movie night or be out in the yard with us if we are barbecuing or playing music. He wants to be taken to expensive restaurants or be in the beach areas late at night. We can't afford that lifestyle and also don't want to put ourselves at risk. He and his mother already do that by constantly being out with large crowds without a mask or social distancing. Her friends have had big parties where step son has video called my husband and he sees all these people with no masks or anything. Just irresponsible. 

He absolutely hates me and my existence. When I'm around he won't say hello or anything or even acknowledge me. I used to always say hello and how are you and try to ask him things but stopped after he kept ignoring me. He's rude to my family as well whenever they are around. I was pregnant last year and lost the baby. He told his dad that baby was never going to be his brother. He has also made rude comments about me to my dad and referred to me as a b**** and when we got married he asked him why he married a b****. He will sometimes bring clothes to his dad as gifts that he knows he doesn't like and won't wear and will say that they are brand name unlike the garbage other people (me) give him and then throw a fit when his dad won't wear them. We didn't spend any holidays with him last year or the year before that by his choice which we were relieved because he would have just been rude and difficult since he didn't want to be there. I have two cats and he hates them and always complains about them so they have to be locked up in our room while he's over. I hate doing that to them but it's also for their safety because he once cornered one of them against the wall with a mop and was shoving her and scaring her (she's a rescue and is super skittish as it is because she was previously abused) and tried to kick the other one when he was a kitten. 

Also, he and his mother badmouthed my husband to his family after the divorce and lied about many things and turned them against him until recently that many figured out they were lying and stopped talking to them. They torment my husband's grandmother who is elderly and sick with alzheimers and tell her things to upset her. His son told my husband's father that he never sees him or gives his mom money amongst other things which was a lie and we sent pictures of all the child support payment stubs to him to show they were lying. Whenever my husband is on the phone or on a video call with his family his son is annoyed and upset because he wants my husband's family to hate my husband and not speak to him to punish him for not being with his mom. He is a very malicious kid and is very self-centered. His mom and her family have always made him feel like the world revolves around him and that he is better than everyone else. His mom refers to me as a prostitute and speaks ill of my husband all the time. Recently step son told my husband that they are moving to New Jersey next month because his mom found a better job over there. I don't know if this is true because he is also known to lie and his mother hasn't said anything about this to my husband. We were hoping it was true because we just can't take it anymore. My husband says if they don't move then we will have to try to move our plans for moving elsewhere up. We were planning to move a few hours away but maybe in a couple of years and when the covid situation was better because the cost of living is very high here. 

He's tried everything. Being honest with his step son, having heart to hearts, yelling, and always step son says he will do better and never does. 

tog redux's picture

Sounds like a parental alienation situation. Does your DH discipline him? Take things away? 

If he's ready to stop visitation, he should go ahead and do it. As the non-custodial parent, he isn't obligated to see him for his weekends. My guess is that your SS will start refusing to come over in the next year or two anyway. 

losingit1990's picture

I feel the same way. I feel like maybe in a year or two he will get bored and will want to stop coming. There's not much to take away at our place. His gaming system is at his mother's house and the only thing he has is the tv or his phone. If we say we aren't going out anywhere or they get into a huge argument he will call his mom to pick him up. He won't take away his phone because it's on his mother's plan and that's where they communicate. That's the other thing. He's on the phone with her constantly reporting everything we are doing or saying. Really I think the best is to stop visitation, I almost feel like he doesn't want to come but only comes to be a nuisance. 

tog redux's picture

Let him call BM to pick him up. He needs to know that DH isn't afraid of him. It won't help the alienation, but it will help in the future when he returns and thinks he can pick right up being a doormat again. 

Harry's picture

I can see SS point of view,  staying out late at party's, eating at restaurants, great clothing,   I think I want to be adopted by BM.  LOL. 
You see the writing on the wall.  It's not your problem., Don't make it yoir problem.

losingit1990's picture

It's not my problem but if he doesn't want to be at our house then he just shouldn't come instead of coming over to be a nuisance and be rude to everyone.

Wicked stepmo.'s picture

I would just start to flat out ignore the kid. He sounds unpleasant and is a bully. I wouldn't take him anywhere, do anything for him or even acknowledge him when he spoke to me. Since he has already made his feelings for you known, he isn't going to like you either way. So you might as well give yourself some peace and sanity.

I have gone as far as wearing headphones when I walk around the house and SKs are being nasty and unpleasant. I will not sit and eat with them and I do not involve them in any plans I may have.

YSD is smart and will usually stop with the attitude and start being respectful. OSD not so much she just throws herself a pity party because she never does anything wrong and everything is someone else's fault. So she hides in her room to avoid me. Either way it works for me.

losingit1990's picture

I've tried ignoring him. It doesn't work. We have such a small place too that it's impossible to avoid him. We live in a high cost of living city. His mom lives in a 1 bedroom apartment and he sleeps in her room with her and we live in a 1 bedroom apartment as well but he sleeps in the living room and at night we close our bedroom door and don't bother him at all unless we need something from there. We want to get a bigger place eventually but that's why want to move because we wouldn't be able to afford it here. He has to go through our bedroom to go to the bathroom too.