You are here

Newly married step father with no bio kids having bad time

mikester's picture

I'm 37 and been married for a year and a half. Wife has three kids. One adult SS22 on the west coast, and two at home. They moved in with me at ages SD13 and SS15. I'm not bonding well with either. At first it was good, but after we moved in together it's slowly gone downhill. I'm regretting not having my own kids. A lot at times. Wife is 44 and starting to go into premenopause. She has her tubes tied. Wtf, she's too young for that and the emotional stuff is killing me. I'm distant from the boy. I always wanted a son, but not gonna happen now. Their bio father lives hours away but has mental illness and visits some. I have an OK relationship with him. The girl is sassy and bothers the hell outta me with her mouth. I find myself thinking if I can just make it through the next four years, I can reconnect with the wife and life will be good. I can't stop thinking about not having kids and wish that would go away. I wish I had a better relationship with the skids. We had high hopes in the beginning, but the stresses of moving in together have pushed us apart. I hope I didn't make a mistake. I love my wife, but my home life isn't too great.

lily11's picture

Four years is a long time from now.

I am not a step dad but I am a step mom. I think at times like these you have to step back and do something for yourself or focus on something you enjoy. A hobby... go to a movie... I have picked up about 5 new hobbies since I became a step mom. Lol.

I hope you are able to communicate with your wife openly about all of this. She is probably feeling overwhelmed right now I am guessing. It sounds like you are too. Don't pull away from her. Find out how you can support each other or your marriage will suffer terribly.

I try to balance quality time with my DH and quality time doing my own thing so I can keep my sanity... There are good days and bad days...

not2sureimsaneanymore's picture

First of all,welcome, and I'm sorry these circumstances have brought you here. Believe it or not, a lot of people here have similar issues of resentment because their partners can't or won't have kids with them since they already have them. I give them all the same advice--if you think you will regret not having children (and as a new mom, there is NOTHING in the world like having your own, whether you gave birth to them or adopted them) and your partner isn't willing to work with you to have children, then I would seriously reconsider being with that person and spending the rest of your life with them.

For some, having children is a dealbreaker, and if it eats away at you, both your emotional, physical, and relationship health will suffer.

Would your wife be open to adoption? Or in vitro, although her age may make it difficult health wise.

Igiveupsotornupinside's picture

I agree with this^^^ also if children is what you really want, seriously think about what you want before it is too late. For you, as a guy, you have it made in the fact that you can produce children anytime. A woman cant. lol..that's why I have a now SD22 and SD19 and my DH and I both have an 8 year old and a 3 year old. When we first started dating, I told him, I had to have at least one child of my own (he was 41 at the time so I wanted to be sure he was willing). He gave me 2 little girls Smile Having your own even if its through adoption is so important and especially if you want one so bad. Sorry you are going through all this.

amber3902's picture

Not trying to be harsh here, but if you wanted kids, why did you marry a 43-44 year old woman?

Did you think ya'll would be like the Brady bunch and you and the kids would instantly bond? And now the ready made family life didn't happen like you thought it would, you realize you regret not having children of your own?

If you really want kids it is not fair to anyone to continue in this relationship. It's better to end it now. You are still fairly young, go out and find a woman in her 30s that is physically able to have kids.

Drac0's picture

Hey Mikester,
I hope for your sake that you are a better man than me at dealing with not having bio-kids of your own. My first wife was dead set AGAINST having kids. She lied to me in the beginning saying she was open to the idea of having children but as soon as the wedding band was on her finger, she was about as "open" as the Israeli/Syrian border. I thought I could deal with the thought of never having any kids. But the regret just slowly started to eat at me. Going to gatherings with friends and family who had children became an exercise in embarassment because anyone who knew me, knows how much I love kids. So when someone would ask "when are you two going to have kids?" my wife would jump "WE ARE NEVER HAVING KIDS!!!". People would look at me and I would just smile and bow my head. My regret, slowly turned to frustration and frustration slowly turned to anger. Being in a relationship with regret is a bit like enjoying a day on the beach without UV protection. You only realized you are burned long after the fun in the sun is over. And the more my feelings of regret over not having children manifested, the more my ex-wife feeling's towards children turned vile and sinister. It got to the point where she was kicking and spitting at little kids who got in her way at the grocery store and Walmart. Yeah, it got REAL bad! Fortunately for me, I split up with my ex and met my DW about 5 years later. I have two bio-kids of my own now and I cannot tell you how happy they make me. Just thinking about them makes me smile. I hope me writing this doesn't depress you any. You deserve all the happiness a family can give you because that is what gives a man (and a woman) the strength to smile and carry on through the day. Like Ladyface said, I would seriously consider adoption. Hopefully your wife can too?

mikester's picture

I do have a hobby or two. One of which causes some friction with the wife. She was 110% supportive at first, then after she wasn't having fun suddenly I hear crap about it. It does help a lot. I spend a lot of time outside doing lawn chores also.
Ya know, I thought it would be more Brady like. We had a great relationship before we moved in together. I thought that good relationship would satisfy my desire for children. I may have talked myself into believing that I was OK when in reality it's eating me up on the inside.
I want my own child, not an adoption. I'm the last of my family name and it dies with me. I want my lineage to go on so to speak. I know now it won't and I'm sad.
I often think the kids were still cute preteens before they moved in and became teenagers right after. I'm too inexperienced and I have parenting issues that made it too hard to connect.
I just wish someone would look at me the same way they look at their father. He's literally crazy, been in jail, but he has that position I'll never be able to have and it makes me sad.

kathc's picture

Mikester, the only advice I can give that would be any good for you is to divorce your wife and go meet a woman without children and who wants them. There are PLENTY of single, childless women out there.

emotionaly beat up's picture

If this desire to have children is so strong in you, then not only will it get worse, but you will become more and more resentful of your step kids.

I wonder if this need for your own child is already affecting your attitude towards your wife's children. Therefore adding to your problems, because naturally they would feel it and kids being kids will act out more.

I'm not understanding your wife's having her tubes tied. If that happened during your marriage to her, or during your relationship, then surely you would have told her how badly you wanted a child of your own. If you didn't, then you have to accept that you contributed in a large pray towards this. If you sat back and said nothing when she had that surgery, then you gave her the clear impression you were fine with it. If having kids only became a burning desire for you after she had surgery, then you have no right to be angry or resentful. However, if your wife went ahead and had this surgery knowing how much having a child meant to you. Well, that's so wrong, and so very selfish to deny you a child because she has plenty and is grossly unfair, you may never forgive her. Ultimately the marriage will breakdown if you cannot get over your resentment. So, maybe you should just end it sooner rather than later, therefore allowing both yourself and your wife a chance to move on and establish new lives with people more suited to each of you. Right now, the two of you are not suited. One wants children, one doesn't,

If your wife had her tubes tied before you married. What the hell were you thinking entering into a marriage with a woman who was clearly finished raising her family, when you desperately wanted a child.

You need to look at yourself here, decide what it is you want more. Your wife or a child. Because you are not going to have both with her.

You either need to get past your anger, disappointment and resentment, and accept the fact that you and she will never have children. Or, you need to end this relationship and find someone who is able and willing to have children with you. It's not fair to anyone to stay and make everybody miserable, including yourself.

By the way 44 is not too young to have your tubes tied. If she were to get pregnant now, she would be around 45 when she had the baby. 50 when that child is 5. She's raised 3 kids, if I put myself in her position, no way would I want to start all over again at that age. Babies are hard work for young women, for a woman in her mid forties to have a newborn and two teenagers at home, is a big ask. If it happens accidentally, we'd suck it up and make the best of it. But I don't think too many women her age would be happily putting up their hands for it. I personally think that if she were to have a child to make you happy, then instead of you being resentful because you have no children of your own, she would become the resentful one because she would have felt pressured into having that child. Either way is not good. You and your wife have a lot to talk about the sooner you start this conversation with her the better.

Rags's picture

Welcome,

I hope you find this to be a good place to vent, contribute and pick up some useful advice from others who are living the blended family adventure.

I have been Dad to my SS-21 since he was a toddler. His mom and I met when he was 15mos old and married a week before he turned 2. I have no biokids. I have never had an overwhelming need to spawn. Don't get me wrong. I love kids. Had my wife and I decided to have more kids that would have been great. But, she could not have any more kids safely and I would not risk her life and health for more children. If we have more kids we will adopt.

I married my bride to spend the rest of my life with her. We have a son (my SS) but he will have his own life to live as all children invariably will. My wife and I will live our lives together. I am 49 and she turned 38 a few weeks ago.

There are many options for you to have children. But if you want to spend your life with your bride, she is the only option for living that dream. You have a decision to make. Have a life with her or not. The kid thing can be dealt with.

As for the relationship with your Skids .... that you can fix. These are older children. They may not need you as a dad. You certainly can be their dad but that is going to be as much or more their choice than it will be yours. I suggest the direct approach with both of the resident StepSpawn. Sit them down individually and explain to them that you love their mom and that you are happy to have them in your home and for all of you to be a family. Then explain to them that there are expectations for them and there are rules. Particularly rules about how you will be addressed and treated. You are the male adult in the home and you will be treated with respect. They have a choice. Adhere to those expecations or go live with their BioDad.

Once you have had this conversation with the kids then set your position, aim, fire and adjust. Be consistent and demonstrate to them that you can either be their best ally, advocate, confidante and mentor and you can also be their disciplinarian. Their choice. But, whatever their choice they need to know that you are their mother's husband and they need to know that your marriage to their mother is your priority and their mother's priority.

All IMHO of course.

Good luck.

emotionaly beat up's picture

All hell will break loose if he dares to sit those kids down and tell them he has rules and expectations of them and if they don't adhere to those rules they can go and live with their dad. He has no right to unilaterally do that and I'm telling you now, no mother is going to let a man not even her husband, make a decision like that with such a dire consequence. He cannot tell her children to follow his rules and expectations or get out. If he does, problem solved. She will end the marriage. He can tell his wife what he expects from them, if she loves him, and his expectations are fair, she will pull them into line. But that still doesn't resolve his desire for children. Only he can decide if he wants his wife or kids. At 44 even if her tubes weren't tied she would still struggle to conceive without IVF. Then there are a lot of risks to the baby, Down's syndrome being one. Is it fair to take a chance with an unborn child's quality of life, just because he wants a baby. There is a lot to consider here. An awful lot.

Rags's picture

I agree. The spouses need to sit down and establish the rules and dynamics of their household. However, each spouse will have sacred turf that constitutes a hill they are willing to die on. Figuratively of course.

For me it was Skid behavior. For the most part my wife and I agreed and backed each other very consistently. Ocassionally we would get out of step on SS's behavior and discipline. Since that was a hill I was more than willing to die on when we lost step I would default to my standard position. If she did not like how I was disciplining then she had a choice. Step up and get it done before I had to or back me. The same applied in my direction. If I did not like how she was disciplinging then I had the choice of backing her or dealing with it myself before she had to deal with it.

Older Skids are a different situation than young ones. When he got in to his teens our son was given the choice on more than one occassion to pull his head out and behave accordingly or take a one way very cheep bus ticket to BioDads. His answer was always the same. This was his home and why would he want to leave? When he backed us in to the fix it or take a bus ticket corner he would invariably address his behavior. Though I will say that two years of military boarding school helped give him clarity.

I also agree on the baby topic. I was not willing to jeopardize my wife's life and health for another child. She had severe pre-eclampsia(sp?)/toxemia when pregnant with SS. Our options for more children were either adoption or a surrogate.

mikester's picture

My wife had her tubes after her last child. Mostly because of the drama with the ex husband.
I didn't really realize until after we were living together and married that I had do much of a desire for children. Maybe it was my biological clock, I don't know. But it wasn't on purpose. We live in small 1040 square foot home. No room for another person. No money for special doctor stuff. So that's that.
Life doesn't always turn out the way you want it too. But sometimes it doesn't have too to be good.

Rags's picture

No doubt you are right about even when life does not go as hoped it can be good.

I have never had an overwhelming desire, need or drive to spawn. My DW did not want more kids after SS was born. Periodically she would catch the baby bug and want more but the timing was never right. She was working on her undergrad, then we were both in grad school, then she was studying for the CPA exam, then the Skid was in high school, then we moved, changed careers, etc, etc, etc.....

When she was 35 she finally made the call that it was time for another kid (SS-22 was nearly 18). Still I was neutral. I love kids but I can live with or without them. It makes no difference to me. I insisted that she see her Gyno for a tune up and health check. DW had been very ill with her first pregnancy and I was not willing to risk her health for another baby. Her Doc put the screaming halt to more kids. DW had nearly died from toxemia/pre-eclampsia when pregnant with SS. Her Doc would not support another kid. The risks are just too high.

She still will occasionally lament that we did not have more kids. I am just thrilled to have a healthy bride to chase around for the last 15 or so years of my career then retirement. DW and I are having a great time being empty nesters.

Your attitude will help.

Take care of yourself.

avispa's picture

I have a good relationship with my step-son and I have done everything I can to help him. Today is Father's Day and I can see that I am not appreciated by my wife (who took her own dad for a big meal and gifts). My step-son spent the day with his bio-dad. I didn't even get a card. I guess it just shows what the real deal is. If anybody out there is reading I urge you to have your own children if you can. Then you will be at least No.1 is somebodies book.

Rags's picture

Ouch! That sucks.

I am fortunate. I am the only REAL dad my Skid (SS-22) has had for his entire life. He knows it, his Sperm Idiot knows it, the entire sperm Clan knows it, etc.....

My Skid does not keep in touch with anyone well. But, he called me on F-day. We talked for over an hour. It was nice. I don't think he had any contact with the Sperm Idiot. I find that sad but my Skid has no use for the shallow and polluted end of his gene pool.

I hope you find a good place to be in your situation.

Take care of yourself.

CompliKated's picture

I can understand that feelings about having a child can change quickly and strongly. I was rather anti-baby until my 28th birthday and then baby fever hit and it hit hard out of no where. I tried to have a baby for a year in my marriage unsuccessfully and then the marriage ended so I am also left wondering if my fertility is ok. I have had tests done because i was concerned and nothing was found wrong. My BF has 3 kids, is 39 and has had a vasectomy. I think that there is the potential a reversal could work seems like the vasectomy is not a good reason to end a good relationship. I am very torn. i almost feel it is unfair to have a kid with him when he will be in his 40s anyway. Plus 4 kids is a lot. I am 29 so I have time, but not like a ton of time. I wanted a child so strongly I am a little surprised we ended up together at all. I am worried a reversal will fail and I won't ever have a child now.

SebringLad's picture

Wow,i admire your courage to go from a single guy to married with 3 step kids !!
I almost made that mistake twice years ago(one woman had 4 kids and the second one had 5 kids) but thank God i didn't!!
Good luck to you !!

SapphireBlue's picture

My DHTB is 34 which is ten years older than me. He already has 2 kids.
One of the first things we discussed before we got into a proper relationship, after the "my children are a big part of my life etc" talk of course, was whether or not we both wanted children. Him because he wanted more, and me because I'd always wanted my own, and both of us wanted to make sure we were on the same page. Which luckily we were and are.. We (mainly me) decided to marry before children but that will only make me 25 when we start trying.
But if he'd not wanted any more Beee that would have been a deal breaker. As much as I love him now, and his kids, I wouldn't have been happy knowing I'd never have my own.
Obviously you love your wife, and that hopefully won't change, but wanting kids will be hard on you. Stupid as it is have you thought about fur babies? Maybe a dog would, although obviously not replace a child, give you someone else to look after?