You are here

In need of a Dad's perspective and advice

MdMom's picture

I posted this in the General Discussions forum, and had been told that maybe I need the perspective of a Father.
So here is my post

SD3 left yesterday, usually when we drop SD off she is okay with going with BM, but yesterday she threw a HUGE tantrum when BM picked her up. FH was outside with SD while waiting for BM's arrival. SD was normal and fine until BM picked her up to put her in her car seat. This is when all hell broke loose, and SD began crying and reaching for FH, screaming that she didn't wanna go.

FH was devastated when he came back into the house. I've tried telling him that she probably just had a really fun week with us, we went to the Portland Zoo for a few days, and got home the day before she left. And I also told him that its just hard for her right now to go from one house to the other. But he is still pretty tore up about it.

She's usually only gone for 3 days, but those three days kill FH (he's a worrier, and he constantly worries about SD when she's not with us... For good reason, BM has taken SD to ER on multiple occasions, ranging from head wounds to just the common cold)

FH and I have two other Children in the home, My BD and our shared DD, with a third on the way. It is just very difficult for me to try to live our daily lives when FH gets down about SD leaving. He is in a 'Funk' for at least two days after she leaves, and perkes up when he realizes that there is only one more day til she comes home. FH completely disengages when SD is gone.

How can I help FH cope with the fact that SD has to go with BM? Also, what can I do to help him reengage when he gets like this?

ANY feed back will be helpful! Thanks

Cowleshome's picture

Tell him to stop treating you like that and man up. It's just the way the schedule is it's not like she's dead when she leaves! it's not fair and it's kinda selfish, what like it doesn't bug you either? Going through something painful together can bring you both closer together, thus making for the time when she's with you guys even sweeter. BTW I LIVE IN PORTLAND TOO HAHA I just took my daughter to the Kids Museum haven't done the zoo yet !!!