You are here

My girlfriends daughter is an absolute terror and its ruining out relationship

mseis's picture

Im not a step dad as qe arent married but we have been seeing each other about two years. Her daughter seems to like me but she listens to absolutely no one. She talks horribly to her mother and well everybody for that matter. I feel absolutely helpless as I can't discipline and its just getting harder and harder for me to try. Any advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated 

JRI's picture

The daughter isn't the issue,. Mom.'s failure to parent is the problem.  Read around in this Step bio father's den area and you will see many cases like yours.  Many times, the advice boils down to "shut up or get out".  Im sorry.

Kes's picture

JRI is right of course, and everyone on here will tell you the same - the problem is your girlfriend, allowing her daughter to "talk horribly" to her and other poor behaviour. 

Wicked stepmo.'s picture

There ar cases such as adopting a child with a traumatic history or child developing mental health issues that would result in this type of behavior.

But most of the time the root cause is poor parenting. it is also easy to determine if this is the cause. Does this child have rules or boundaries? When they violate these rules are there consequences? Does the parent follow through with enforcing these consequences? If the answer is no, you can be sure the problems will continue to persist.

Winterglow's picture

You are not helpless. There is no reason to allow her to talk to you/treat you like crap. "Change your tone immediately." "You will NOT talk to me like that." Teachers, coaches, etc. Don't stand for it, there's no reason why you should.