You are here

Stepkids are un-disciplined around SD, thinking of calling it quits.

mytmic821's picture

I am a SD of 1.5 years, Since marrying the BM the relationship between me and my SS's 9 and 11 is going down the drain. The BM does not discipline the boys when Im hom, and when I do she comes to their defense instead of a united front. She will only discipline when I am not at home. I am rough around the edges, direct and no angel, but I try. We also believe in totally opposite family structure. I believe children are my subordinates and she believes they are our equals. Someone help one way or another. agree or disagree, but if you disagree please site your work with a reputable source, Smile

satori's picture

I believe there should be an equall amount of subordinate and equal viewing. kids learn respect by felling subordinate and learn trust in being treated equal. It's a matter of situation. could you possibly find ways in feeling them as equals? if i'm misunderstanding your concern do let me know.

satori's picture

wow I have a very similar situation .....and your point of view just lifted ten tons of weight off my shoulders. still i wonder would you (or I) ? eventually feel guilt for not being equally invested in the Skids??? I will make damn sure of it that I continue my well rounded ways with my well rounded kids but what will the pictures look like in the long run??? Do you have any good times with your skids? or is it mostly just awkward and stressful?

eamgw's picture

I'm in a similar position. I find that I have fun with sd but only in small amounts and only if we aren't trying to get somewhere, get anything done, have any agenda that differs fromhers, etc... But she's a sweet girl and it's NOT her fault. Her bioparents suck as parents.

steppingover's picture

I wish I could be of some help but my house hold is somewhat the same dh has zero issues with disipline when it comes to my kids but sd17 gets away with what ever she wants

Dysphoria's picture

I feel respect and discipline are in order when it comes to children. I think some biological parents are too oblivious to see how their children are really behaving and what kind of message it sends when children aren't corrected for their bad behavior. My boyfriend's daughter demands anything she wants. She doesn't ask for anything or say please, she tells everybody just what it is she wants and she gets it. When she's not around her father she talks back, shouts at adults and acts completely rotten, all under the care of her grandmother who thinks its all perfectly alright. I think perhaps they think its sort of cute when she throws a fit about not having her way? I honestly believe it stems from the BM who puts very little effort into raising her daughter which clearly shows when she comes around here.