You are here

Picky 8 Year Old

WebKnitter13's picture

Oh.... I am so frustrated right now! Someone please help! My 8 year old stepdaughter is usually only mildy picky, but sometimes she is over the top. Tonight we made Buffalo Chicken Pizza. Normally she loves pizza. She likes chicken and doesn't mind spicy so it shouldn't be a problem right? Wrong. We tell her we having pizza and she says she doesn't want pizza. As is normally the case, we say sorry that is what is for dinner, not something else. As soon as I set a piece in front of her, she makes barfing noises. So her Dad sent her to her room. A little while later I went up and talked to her about why she acted like that. She said it looked disgusting so I asked why. She said because it looked disgusting. Again, why? It has green spices on it and I don't like that spice. How do you know which spice it is, there are lots of green ones. I don't. Okay, so... if you haven't had it before, how do you know it's gross. It could be the best tasting pizza you have ever had. I explained to her that she is extremely unappreciative of dinner and it could be worse, there are kids out there that don't get dinner. I told her to please come down and eat a piece of pizza, just one, or it will be breakfast, and if she doesn't eat it for breakfast, it can be lunch. Normally I don't really get to do this, but we have her longer this weekend than normal. So, no snacks in between, when she is hungry, she'll eat it. So she comes down, takes a bite, makes a face, and says I'll eat it for breakfast. Okay... well tomorrow morning will be fun. Anyone have any other tips for getting a picky child to eat. I've learned with her, if she believes it will be gross, it will be gross no matter what. So... how do I convince her that it might taste good.

WebKnitter13's picture

Thanks. I am grateful for the reassurance. Normally we only get her one night a week, so habits like this are hard to teach. I think bio-mom allows picky eating and rude behavior like fake throwing up. And yes, she will be having it for breakfast tomorrow. And if not then, I will take it with us for when we meet our friends for lunch after church. If not then, I'm not sure how to handle explaining to bio-mom that she hasn't eaten for a whole day... Bio-mom is not the most reasonable person I have ever met. And yeah, she will probably think that the pizza is gross. And if so, we won't make it again when she is over. But one slice won't kill her, and at least she will have tried it.

simifan's picture

I have to disagree being a picky eater myself and raising one, my Dad was one too. I vaguely remember why my mom took this stand on green beans. Two days later I choked them down for breakfast & they promptly came back up - all over mom & the table.

When I try things I don't like I do get queesy. Though I too would veto the gagging noises.

I always have something set aside (usually plain cereal) which me or my picky eater can eat instead of a meal.

I do remember reading something about picky eaters being super-tasters which is why they usually make excellent cooks even if they eat very bland foods.

stpmom2b's picture

I have twin ss5. One was very picky and one would try anything. Lucky us, the daring eater has now seen how much attention his brother got for being picky so now he won't try anything new either.

We set a timer for a meal. If they don't eat, then there are no snacks or dessert until the next meal. If they get legitimately hungry, we will give them fruit or carrot sticks. I don't try to feed them the same food for the next meal. I was a picky eater and I remember choking down eggs as a kid and then never trying them again until I was an adult. Sometimes they will become curious about stuff we eat and try it so I remind them of things that they liked.

Most kids like what they know and have an aversion to different textures. I hate turning every meal into a battle so if they don't eat, they wait until the next meal.

WebKnitter13's picture

My deal is that she does this with every new thing that is put in front of her. Strawberries? Never had them they are gross. Etc. Etc. She likes pizza, and chicken, and refused to try it. I am cool with the try it and don't like it. I am not cool with refusing to try it. That is what is for dinner, and I shouldn't have to take the time to buy/cook something else because she is being snotty. Trust me she was being snotty about it. We even told her about how it was her Dad's favorite pizza. Well I don't care I don't like it was the response. She doesn't know what it tastes like so how can she know she doesn't like it. I'm okay with her not wanting buffalo chicken ever again after she tries it. Which she did this morning. She ate half of it thinking she would have to eat the whole thing and then I said okay, would you like something else? And then she got normal breakfast. She is picky because her mom allows her to be picky, not because the food is actually gross. I've been at BM's when they serve a meal, and if she says she doesn't want to try something, they make her something else, every time. She never tries something new.

MamaBecky's picture

I'm a picky eater. I eat with my eyes. If it doesn't look good and I'm not use to it, I wont eat it. I wont eat any kind of seafood or ethnic dishes. If I dont like the "sound" of it I wont eat it. My SD13 is also a picky eater and I made the promise to her that I would not make her eat anything that I wasn't willing to eat myself. Since she knows I'm picky she kind of follows my lead. If I will try it, she will try it. If they try and dont like it I dont make them eat it. There is always PB&J with minimal to no effort. Just so you know...I love pizza and I love chicken but when I tried chicken pizza I threw up. It did disgust me...and this was a couple of years ago so I wasn't just being a picky kid. I thought I would love it. Just because you like the ingredients doesn't mean they should necessarily be combined together.

WebKnitter13's picture

Yeah we do the whole if we think its yucky we aren't going to make you eat it thing too. We actually told her, we won't make anything if we don't think that she will like it. She has had things with similar ingredients that she likes. I am totally okay with fixing her something else if she is willing to try new things and goes okay this is too sour, spicy, etc. If it is something like oh I don't like the onions then okay, pick them off and eat the rest. But when it is I know I don't like it even though I have never had it, that just doesn't work with me. Case in point we made chicken broccoli pot pies one night and she threw a fit because she likes the chicken ones, not these. A completely different night, I put one in front of her and called it a chicken pot pie, and she ate it and said it was really good. Then I said oh by the way I forgot to mention it was chicken and broccoli. Oh I don't like that. But you just said it tasted really good. So... when she goes oh I don't like it because it has green stuff on it, its just not cool. No offense intended to anyone, but things like eating with your eyes is taught. I have had some of the ugliest foods that are the most tasty, because I was raised to try new things and then decide if I liked it. After years of that, the behavior stuck. Therefore, after she reluctantly got 1/2 way through her very small piece of pizza, I offered something else, because she had tried it. Normally one bite would be fine, if she wasn't the type that if she thinks she doesn't like it, she won't. So it takes a few bites to overcome that mental block that says this is gross. Then, if she still doesn't like it okay, would you like something else. To sum up, I am trying to teach her, have an open mind, try it once, and then we can move on. And... this would be so much easier if we had more than 3 meals a week with her.

Siferra's picture

We struggle with my SS5 as well, but things have gotten much better. At first we used the timer method, and he had to finish all his food within the timer or he wouldn't get any snacks until the next meal. If he decided he hated a food he would go hungry.

After a few months of that he has been eating reliably enough that we can generally trust him to try a new food and eat a decent amount. Just a few months ago he would not eat any kind of meat, but now he will reliably eat chicken and sometimes hamburger. What do you know, just a few months of consistent effort worked!

Still Have Hope's picture

Both my SDs were picky eaters. We always gave the choice of a peanut butter sandwich if they didn't want to eat the prepared dinner. You think after 15 years they would get sick of PB sandwiches. No, they are still picky at 21 and 19, still have a sandwich many a night instead of a real dinner. I don't let it bother me a bit.