You are here

Stepkids on strike from seeing me for months & giving their father an ultimatum-- me or them.

EllieElle's picture

My two teenage stepkids have refused to come to the house and also to be in my presence for months now. They've told their father he needs to choose-- me or them-- and he's reacted by stopping his child support payments, threatening to take them out of his will, threatening to give the beloved puppy away, cutting off their movie/TV services, and participating in text wars with his sixteen year old daughter. He's written her repeatedly that he's lonely and in pain (from a surgery he just had), and that they abandoned him and don't care about him. He's not said a single loving or emotionally supportive word to her.

The night that caused them to refuse to come over to our house & be around me, my husband brought them into our home with the chair and ottoman he flipped over not picked up, then proceeded to ignore them to argue with me instead. With them in ear shot, he called me names, threatened to punch me in the face, broke up with me in front of them, saying they're all sick of me bringing them down by being sad, told me to get out and never return, screamed curses at me, and became physically violent by shoving me down, then grabbing me by the collar to pick me up and again shove me toward them. My stepdaughter called her mother crying to pick them up, and their mother responded by telling them to stay away from me, that I might hurt them. I have never hit them, threatened them, screamed at them-- nothing. Following this incident, he took them to a theme park the following day and played fun dad, never saying a word about how he treated me, but did encourage them to complain about me (a list that included not closing their bedroom doors, telling them to clean up after themselves, and "never being happy." He also agreed to them that I'm scary. ME, not him!

I should have left and never looked back. Instead, I found us a family and couples therapist and he and I have been regularly attending. The therapist believes he's a narcissist, and after accepting him blaming me for years, it's finally become pretty clear to me that he is a narcissist. He tells our therapist that I've ruined his relationship with his kids, that I make them uncomfortable, and that I'm an abusive wife. When I say how he's threatened to kill me, hit me, and said horrible things to me, he unblinkingly admits this, but claims I drove him to behave this way and that he was only reacting to me, so he's not to blame for his actions. The therapist repeatedly tries to see me alone, and then tells me that my husband is abusive to me.

He has blamed me for everything and shown me no empathy or respect whenever there's an issue or difference of opinion, and now he's taught his kids to believe that I'm awful and deserve abuse. That last night they were here, my stepdaughter said "F*ck You" to me and my stepson said he's never liked me and was only ever around me because his dad married me.

Really, it's coming to the point where there's no other option but to leave. I've tried to tell my husband that I think he needs to work on his temper and communication, and learn to be emotionally supportive. And not just for my benefit-- for his children too! They deserve to feel safe and loved. Yes, they have issues (it's no wonder) and yes they can be disrespectful and mean, but they do not deserve to be in an environment with overturned furniture, witnessing verbal and physical abuse, nor do they deserve his message that if they don't show him care, he'll stop loving them, supporting them, and will punish them by taking away all their services (including phone).

I'm sick of this whole family using me as a scapegoat for all their problems. I'm not perfect, but I'm a good person, I'm sweet and thoughtful, and I have always been nice to my stepchildren.

emotionaly beat up's picture

Your husband cannot ever be cured. He will always be a narcissist. That is a huge ask to live with. I know I'm doing it. But he shoved you, picked you up by the collar and shoved you towards his kids, and your still there. What's wrong with you.

Even if you are the most horrible, selfish, vindictive, hateful, troublemaking woman on the planet, NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO PUT THEIR HANDS ON YOU.

Your therapist is right, you are being emotionally and verbally abused by your husband. But does your therapist know you are being physically abused as well.

Your husbands love is conditional upon him being idolised by the people he professes to love. He loves no one. He only cares about himself. He wants praise and admiration for so much as wiping his own bum but he will never praise someone else.

He will always be this way. He will never change. He cannot, he can get worse though. LEAVE.

Life with a narcissist will never be a happy ever after. At best it would be a full time job for you managing his narcissism to keep it from destroying you. But to consider life with a physically violent narcissist, is madness. That is no life at all.

Be strong, put yourself first, love yourself enough to leave this bully.

AlreadyGone's picture

^^^^All of the above^^^^

There is no medication or therapy that will ever 'cure' a Narcissist. It is true that SOME of their behavioral traits do mellow with age (as they get older, NS= Narcissistic Supply dwindles, and so they are faced with coming to terms with whatever life they happen to have at the moment.) However, I doubt that the projection, blameshifting, gaslighting, etc. ever actually end.

It is way past time for you to leave and you know this. Please find the strength that you need to close this chapter of your life and move on to some much needed and well deserved happiness. Time is not infinite and none of us knows how long we have to be on this earth. Aren't you worth some happiness???

Best wishes to you!
Smile

Flipchip2013's picture

So he's an abusive control freak.

He doesn't get to just "stop CS payments."
He also doesn't get to hit you.

You know, there was a poster on here not long ago who hit her husband. Posters actually supported her because she'd "been pushed to it" and was simply "reacting" to his verbal abuse. Funny how she was justified but your DH is not.

My stance is that hitting is never justified. Whether someone has "driven you to it" or not.

This whole family situation is a mess. I wonder why you've chosen to stay.

emotionaly beat up's picture

I saw that post flipchip, I didn't get that either. But sometimes people think if you've posted here then you have to be supported even if your dead wrong.

Supporting people is supposed to be meant to be helping them. Telling someone it's okay to hit your abusive husband, he drove you to it, was far from helping her. It just keeps her in the same place, doing the same thing, taking the same abuse. Posting here does not make you automatically right. Sometimes not agreeing with the poster might just be the best thing you could do for them.

not2sureimsaneanymore's picture

There is no cure for narcissism. You need to get out because you ARE being abused. Please, no matter how hard it is, you need to leave. Your husband does not love you or his children--when things don't go his way, he carries out threats and guilt trips.

Run.

devastated's picture

Walk out that door and find a counselor who cares about helping you find yourself again. I would say your the only lucky person in this family because you can get away for good. He and his kids are stuck for life in their relationship.

Not Happening's picture

You both need to walk away from each other. This is not a relationship worth fighting for, salvaging, or losing yourselves for. End it.