You are here

Why is College Break a MONTH Long!!! Loading up on the Booze!

StepMat789's picture
Forums: 

Time for me to vent.

For the last several years, I have had to make myself "like" my Skids. One of them I really do like, but when he is around his brother, he becomes as sneaking and manipulative as he is. All of my SKIDS are disrespectful, lazy, and full of themselves. Two of them still live at home and will be returning from college in the next few days. So I began hiding my treasures as I do every time I hear they are returning. The good news is my room will be shinning like a new penny when I lock myself away for the time they are home.

Recently they cornered me and wanted a credit card for their expenses at college. They began to complain about how broke they are and how they have zero money. They started off the semester with 3k a piece. They have ZERO bills. They complained at how well off other family members are and how they SHOULD help them and how their dad and I do not do enough for them. I buy them their personal items and send them care packages. They refuse to work while at school, but have plenty of time to drink with their frat brothers. Part of the problem is the school that they attend. It is full of over indulged children. These kids have no work ethic...this past summer they quit working in July so they could enjoy a month of not working before they started school. Now, they have gone through their cash from September to December and they are expecting IE. demanding we give them more. From my perspective, you work for what you have. I never worked while I was going to school, but you can bet I was working all summer long and over Christmas & Spring break to have extra pocket money.

As the step parent, I do my best to DISENGAGE - I just had to vent. I just dislike the holiday season when I have to see them daily. Part of me wishing their sainted BM who lives three states away, would invite them over for a few weeks. If these were my kids, they would footing the bill for car insurance and cell phones with this attitude.

notasm3's picture

I realize that I am old as the hills so my experiences will be dismissed as irrelevant by many - my parents could not provide one dime. I took 21 hours a semester so I could graduate early. And this was as a very academically selective university now costing about $60,000 a year.

thinkthrice's picture

yep. most kids today barely take 12 hours to draw the whole thing out as long as possible...bonus for the BM:CS keeps flowing for as long as the kid prolongs the agony. ZERO incentive to get on with it.

TwoOfUs's picture

This.

I took between 18 and 20 hours every semester, worked at my dad's firm and a restaurant (diner open until 4 am on weekends) the whole time in order to pay my own way...and graduated Magna Cum Laude.

I really don't understand college kids and their work ethic these days. I mean...I was excessive, even in my day (graduated in the early 2000s). And I used to be one of those rare people who felt great on 4-5 hours of sleep a night...I had so much energy (that changed after I hit 30 and now I usually need a normal 6-8 hours) But everyone I knew had some kind of part-time job while in school...and worked like crazy over the breaks.

It's unbelievable what kids expect these days.

StepMat789's picture

They each had worked enough to have 3K saved a piece on their debit cards and are already broke. Keep in mind their room and board is paid for.

SugarSpice's picture

skids have a strange dynamic. separate they can be pleasant but in a group they band together to make your like h#ll.

one skid was living with us and attending college. she was pleasant and helped with house work and paid a little money for rent.

her sister got fired from her job after having an affair with the boss. she came to live with us and that was the end of my peace. the two sisters conspired to get rid of me, their fathers wife.

this permanently changed my views about the skids. this view has not changed for years and i still carry it with me. it was my turning point to disengage.

StepMat789's picture

I wish someone would have told me about disengagement 7 years ago. My life would have been so much easier. I struggle at times to disengage.