You are here

How to disengage?

Aquamarine15's picture
Forums: 

<p>Is disengaging like dropping the rope or do I just let my SO parent his child FULLY??</p><p>We have a 1 year old and he has a 3 year old from a previous relationship. Does having a bio child in the house change how you disengage?</p><p>Over the course of our relationship we&#39;ve had to deal with a HCBM that makes it extremely hard for him to coparent and causes issues with us/our relationship.</p><p>How can I disengage without making it look like I favor my own child?&nbsp;EX. I&#39;m big on birthdays, they are huge to me no matter what age. For my sons 1st bday we took a trip to Disney. For SS bday, we&#39;re planning on taking a trip as well but that&#39;s on hold due to COVID-19. So now we(I-I&#39;m the planner of the family, more organized) have planned a backyard party, just us for SS. None of the plans are final/paid for, do I just leave&nbsp;SO to plan and pay for it with no involvement from me? &nbsp;SO is not a planner at all and it&#39;ll likely end up being last minute cupcakes, but when my sons birthday rolls around...do you get where this is going? (SO will not consider another joint bday party with BM).<br />Do I still wash his clothes, help with getting ready, meals or does my SO do it all for SS?</p><p>I&#39;m new to this but I definitely feel like disengaging would help with the stress of our particular situation a lot, I&#39;m just not sure how to go about it.</p>

Harry's picture

He is not inforceing house rules.  He letting his kid gain control of the home.  This will not end well.  Don't do anything for  SK. SO wants to see his kid he take care of it and makes sure home rules are followed,