You are here

Another Perspective Please

Jake's picture
Forums: 

Well here goes nothing. I apologize for any and all spelling and grammar mistakes.

The rambling of a pathetic childless man. I am a 61 year old retired telecommunication engineer.

Personality wise I am a Cultivator. I am a very kind and loving man with a good moral

compass. I score 6 out of 70 on the narcissist scale. I am a giver and uncomfortable receiving.

I married the love of my life at 26 years of age. After a 2 year engagement. My wife is 12 years

my senior. My wife and I had the talk and their would be no more children due to a tubal

ligation. I made a decision thinking I had a life time to win the kids over and they could be more

than my stepchildren. Before and after we married we had had the two youngest children SS 2

aged 10and SD 2 aged 6. We had them on weekend and all school holidays. The eldest SD 1

was 19 and on her own. SS1 was 17 and living with BF. Fast forward to my 60th birthday and

the communication with SD 2 and SS 2 were down to a obligatory birthday call and a fathers

day call with the yearly or biyearly visits we live 300km north of the kids 3.5 hours door to

door. They were claiming their life's were far to busy to make a phone call every couple of

weeks. I would call no answer no return calls unless it required a answer. Their mother gets

about double the calls. SD thinks that talking to her mother counts as a chat with me.

SD 2 goes through a ugly divorce. Guess who supports her both financially and emotionally?

SD 2 spends 2 years pretending all is well. Daily routine shows up at matrimonial home 5:30am

so her SDH can do his hour commute to work. She takes the kids to school, makes lunches,

laundry and off to work herself. Picks the kids up and prepares dinner, helps with homework

and baths. Tucks them in and then leaves for her brothers house to repeat the net day.

October 2019 I have major heart failure. I spend 10 days in hospital 5 days in ICU. My poor

wife. All the kids and grand kids came to see me in the hospital but SD 2 and her children.

No big deal. When I asked her why she said I could not afford it. I thought well at least I have a

price on a visit. To say I was taken aback would be a understatement. Basically it has been a

year since we have tried to mend our fences and there has not been any change on her part

unless she needs something. She has hung the phone up on me 3 times. when I tried to call

her out. I have always given gladly and had never kept score.

That is until I asked if she would come and visit me before we leave for Mexico for 2 months.

Long story short I asked SD 2 to come and visit and I would pay the gas bill and feed her all

weekend long. I asked 3 times and she was a no show. The worst part is she would not call me,

she let her mother do the dirty work and tell me she was not coming for a visit. So I have now

disengaged from SD2. My wife is going down for a visit and I will stay home. I feel like I have

been such a idiot for not seeing this. I tried pointing out my feeling and it is silence on the other

end. My wife is a only child and dislikes conflict very much so talking to her is not a option.

They have no Idea what it is to wake up 35 years later and you have no children. I am utterly

heart broken. I plan to disengage with SD 2. I have already stopped calling. I will still help her

out with what ever she needs I will answer her calls or return them. This is the readers digest

version lol of all events. SD 2's marriage broke down because her husband disengaged and the

marriage was loveless. Once the Matrimonial home was sold and a new town home purchased.

Two weeks after moving into new home. SD 2 has a part time live in boyfriend. He moves out

on Sundays when she has her children for the week and back in when the kids are gone. He is

10 years her junior. Her boyfriend lives next door to the Matrimonial home. SD 2 and DH new

SD2's new boyfriend before the seperation. Who new. Lol

Thanks for listening. Please feel free to comment and show me the error of thinking.

I would encourage any comments good or bad. I would love to here other perspectives.

Thanks for your time. Warmest regards Jake

JRI's picture

I'm not sure of your SKs' ages but I am assuming they are in their 30's, perhaps near 40.  Like you, I'm a mature parent, i have 2 BKs and 3SKs.  You sound like a warm and caring person who would love a closer relationship with both kids.

Their behavior doesnt sound too off-base to me.  Our 5 kids, with one exception, might go for weeks or maybe months, without calling, and I include my BKs in that.  When i look back, sometimes weeks went by before I called my parents.  I had a busy life with 5 kids in the house, worked full time and had a high maintenance husband.  What I'm saying is, it's not you.  I wouldn't take it personally.

You seem hurt that your SD doesn't want much contact tho you've helped her a lot.  That seems normal, too.  If you don't want to help, just don't.  She will figure something else out.  I know it seems like she is making life mistakes.  Sigh, that's a parent's lot sometimes, watching mistakes that could be prevented if only they would listen to us (as if - lol).

When I said we had one exception, it's because SD58 is unnaturally  dependent on DH.  It's a whole other story.  But when she was at a healthier stage, we didnt hear from her for weeks, either.

If we had or have issues, the kids contact us more often.  If we actually need one of them and ask, they come.  I consider all this natural and healthy but I'm an introvert who only wants so much contact with people.

I think your nature is more extroverted and you'd love more contact.  This just sounds like a mismatch.  I wouldn't take it personally.  It sounds like you tried to be a good step parent and you were.  Good luck.

Jake's picture

Thank you for talking the time to give me some insight.

Warm Regards Jake

Rumplestiltskin's picture

You are not pathetic just because you don't have biological children. It does sound like you have sacrificed much and base your identity/self worth on your relationships, though. It's never too late to value yourself and stand up for yourself. If you don't feel you have someone taking care of you, be that person to yourself. What makes you happy? After all these years serving your wife and her 4 kids, you may not even know. Maybe a hobby, or volunteering, or another career/job, even part-time? Be your own best friend. Just my opinion, and what i'm trying to do.  

Jake's picture

Thanks for your obsevation Warm Regards Jake

MissTexas's picture

MAN YOUR AGE WITH NO BIOLOGICAL CHILDREN??

You are a prize waiting to be won!

You still have a lot of living left in you and to do. Stress kills. You've already had health issues just as recently as October of last year.

It's tough to contemplate leaving, but it sounds like this is a one way relationship and has been. You're getting the short end of the stick.

I wish you well.

Jake's picture

I can not tell you how much that ego boost did for me...wow thanks.

My abillity to manage stress is good. I am packing my emotions to SD2 in a suitcase and have it stored in the over head bin.

Not to be touched untill needed. lol I am 7 days into disengagement. I feel remarkably happy.

I keep asking my self where do I fit into SD2's life? Answer I have no Idea!

I ask only simple things from all people in my life. Consideration and mutual respect.

As a giver (my greatest joy) I want nothing in return. I ask only for cosideration and courtesy.

I wish I had found this site sooner. Warmest regards Jake

MissTexas's picture

heart of a servant, and who get joy and satisfaction from doing for OTHERS have to guard our emotions/heart very diligently. Let's face it, many are nothing but takers. If you're giving, some people wonder what your motives are. If they don't think from this angle it's difficult for them to fathom there are really people out there who give with absolutely no expectation to GET.

Maybe one reason you are so good at stress management is that you enjoy doing things for others. The best way to get your mind of of YOURSELF and YOUR ISSUES is to DO FOR OTHERS. I do, and it works wonders for me.

Great job on pakcing up the emotions in a suticase, but DO NOT STORE THEM...that's defeating the purpose. They will never need to be "touched" or "needed." You have DISENGAGED, which means you've elected to take yourself out of the equation. Good FOR YOU!

Consideration and mutual respect are fundamental courtesies. I never thought an "adult" would have to be told how to behave or what is expected from them. It is absolutely unfathomable to me how eerily similar so many of the adult SK are and how they operate.

Well, what matters is you are here NOW. I know you will do what is best for you.

Jake's picture

I feel great with my decision to disengage.. I have wrestled with my decision to withdraw, 

I have no doubts that I have made the right decion. We have a Family reunion Christmas in July comming up.

I can not wait for that weekend I plan on being courteous just not my usual loving and carefree self.

That is reserved for the people that have a relationship with who treat me with Cosideration and Appreaciation.

With out this oportunity to hear diferent perspectives I would be completly alone. Thank you for all of you Help

Warm regards Jake

Dc3sc2's picture

No experience of this here. Just wanted to say you sound like a very kind caring man. You have given your all to this skid and they don't appreciate it find someone/something that does. We don't give to receive but giving so much without someone appreciating all the effort seems like a waste of your time. Time you won't get back so do things for yourself and your wife. Your the same age as my mum so I'm saying the same things I would say to her. This situation is not bringing you happiness so find something else that will. There's nothing wrong with you and your behaviour you have done everything you can. No point flogging a dead horse. 

Jake's picture

I think I am on the same page thanks again. Warm Regards Jake

Sandybeaches's picture

How I wish I had a man like you as a step-father.  You have a wonderful kind heart and because of that you feel deeply and that is why you are hurt now.  No need or reason to apologize for that.  You married your wife as a package that came with children and you accepted them as your own.  You are to be commended for willingly taking on such a difficult task.  I am so sorry that you were met with adversity.  

In reading your post I was a little confused as to how many kids there are 3 or 4?  Either way you are speaking of the relationship with this one daughter I wonder how is the relationship with the other kids?  I personally don't think this is about you I think that this is about her.  It is her issue and it sounds like not her only issue.  While I know if hurts your feelings and I can relate to that, maybe you could focus on the Relationship with the other kids if those relationships are good.  Maybe when your wife shows up without you maybe she will get the message.  

I am a step-parent to 2 kids and unfortunately their mother makes the relationship hard.  I also had a step-dad that I called and thought of as a dad.  My dad died when I was a kid.  My mom died suddenly a few years ago and I found out that my step-dad didn't have the same value on our relationship as I did.  He lied and cheated as executor of her estate, took her life insurance and didn't even give her a proper burial.  I lost them both that day.  I would give anything if he had remained my dad.  I read your post of honest heart felt feelings and I want to tell you, you sir are a gem and a gentlemen to offer your love to your step-children so unconditionally as you have!!  

Jake's picture

Thank you for the encouaging words. I have 4 step-children. I have felt much better since I have disengaged.from SD2.

Your reply has put a smile on my face. I am so sorry for your loss and heartache. Having lost your mother and finding out your

step-father was a fraud. My heart goes out to you and I am sending you a virtual hug. All the best Jake

tog redux's picture

Unfortunately, it seems that your SD, even after all you have done for her, does not see you as a father, or even as a beloved stepfather, which is what it seems you want. It sounds like the other kids do value you- focus on that. I think this more about SD's character than it is about you.

Take care of yourself, and don't let her behavior take away your happiness.

Jake's picture

Thank you too, for you thoughts. I do believe you are right, it is about character. You don't know what you got until it is gone.

Put up a pink parking lot lol.  Warm regards Jake

lieutenant_dad's picture

The problem with kids that parents sometimes fail to remember is that they grow up to also be adults who get to pick and choose the kinds of relationships they want to have. This isn't just a step issue; this happens with biokids, too.

Your SD, for whatever reason, is not interested in a relationship with you. You could make her queen of her own tropical paradise, but that won't change anything. You can't, and shouldn't try to, buy love. 

You've helped her because you care about her and her mother. That speaks to your character and the kind of person you are. Her reaction to those things are independent of you.

Disengagement seems like the right way to go. 

Jake's picture

Thank so much for taking the time to espond to me. For me its just a simple matter of consideration and appreciation. Let alone love and repect. I have no Idea what I mean to her and where I fit in her life. What I want and what SD2 wants are diferent. I celebrate that. I would like more and she has no more to offer. I just choose to disengage than flog a dead horse. I am better because of people like you who give me clearer perspective. Thanks Jake

Jake's picture

?

Survivingstephell's picture

They say absence makes the heart grow fonder. I add to that until SD goes without what you bring to the table, she might not ever notice.  
I also wanted to say that yes, once you grow up you can chose how to treat people but shame on her mother, your wife, for allowing you to continue giving to this ungrateful brat. I would never allow one of mine to treat their step parents like crap. No matter how old they get. I will and have called them on it.  

Jake's picture

I would like to thank you for your kind post. I have been hung up on 3 times for questioning my role in SD2 life.

I have chosen to disengage emotionally I will be corgail and kind but no love. I have 2 grandchildren I would like to see.

I feel good about my decision the door is still open. It is SD2's move. 

Rags's picture

Not new of course, but the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again while expecting a different result. 

Instead of continuing to be at SD's beck and call, shoveling money at her wholesale, etc, etc, ..... actually cut her off. Completely.  Lock down the marital resources and do not allow one penny to find the way to SD in any way, shape or form.  Send your DW to visit SD with only a return ticket and minimal money just enough to feed herself.  Let SD and DW experience each other when it is solely about spending time together rather than mommy supporting and spoiling her toxic failed adult of a daughter and her children.

No more beck and call Jake for SD or her BM, who happens to be your wife.  While you and your DW are together, keep things business as usual, when the topic of SD comes up... lather, rinse, repeat "none of our marital resources will be used to benefit her in any way."

You have sacrificed yourself on the alter of Sparental martyrdom to SD and to your DW status as a failed parent for long enough.  Stop it.

And please, please, please... going forward use paragraphs to break up massive blocks of text.  Even double spaced reading it is mind numbing.

Good luck.

Jake's picture

Thanks for taking the time to add your thoughts Rags.

I am old enough to know that change is the hardest thing for any one to do.

I like you think that, SD2 will revert to her old self in due time....lol

I am a optimist and hope that we will come to a comprimise. 

Time will tell the tale. The problem is we are running out of time or at least I am.

As far as her choice in boyfriend, I have never looked at her relationship from that perspective.

Lowering or removing ones expectations is how I coped with past disappointments.

I will do what I have always done and that is comprimise. 

I would kill to have more with all of my step kids, but that is just wishful thinking.

I am resound with I will only give back what I get from the SK's.

I had such a amazing relationship with my parents. I long for those byegone days.

Thanks again for talking the time to help me out.

Warmest Regards Jake

Jake's picture

Sorry for the rambling. Thanks for the advice. I am at total lockdown with SD2 total radio scilence,

I feel good about my decision. My wife has said her piece with regards to our relationship SD2 and I.

I love my wife and fault her none.. I wont stop my wife from giving Sd2 gifts. This gravy train has pulled out of the station.

My wife is viiting SD1 and SD2  and staying with 1 overnight. Warm Regard Jake

Jake's picture

Thank You from the bottom of my heart to all of you who took the time to help me through this situation.

SD2 and I have wiped our slate clean and have started a new begining. My SD did not like being disengaged from.

This led to a real and meaningful talk to how much we mean to each other.

We have a new begining and I am going forward with great optimisim.

All  I can say is that two days of face to face disengagement gave my stepdaughter pause for thought of life

without me. It has been the spark that has renewed our love and respect for each other.

Respectful disengagement worked for me.

Thanks for listening. You saved my sanity Warm regards Jake

Rags's picture

I am happy that your talk with SD2 went well.

However, I advise that you lower your expectations so that you won't be disappointed when she returns to her former behaviors.  

One thing that I find iteresting. She obviously recognizes the success of her mother's marriage to you. She is replicating that with her new BF.  I doubt that it is a coincidence that her choice of age difference in a new BF mirrors her mothers choice of a second husband.  She recognizes how you and her mom have been happy together for 35 years.

Jake's picture

He Rags, I could not resist sending you a quick note: You were right. My SD2 has reverted back to post heart to heart chat lol.

She was up for her annual visit and we tried to engage in a conversation, where I was informend that I am a Part time step dad period. I was so shocked I was at a loss for words.

Now I can play the role of my life in this comedey. Her mothers husband lol

Again thanks, now moving forward with no epectations never to be disappointed. I hope you and your's are well.

Warmest regards Jake

Rags's picture

It really isn't about eating crow.  I really do not like or enjoy being right about blended family tragedies.  I would just write her off completely and inform your SO that no family resources will go to support her in any way. Not for weddings, not for graduations, etc.....

She has earned being a write off. Apply consequences accordingly.

I competely understand loving your Skid as your own.  I love mine as my own.  However, that does not mean that anyone should tolerate crap. Even from those we love.  To keep that love, they have to earn it day in and day out. At some point, if they fail to earn it, the day will come when there is no love left for that person. Particularly a toxic asshole.

Take care of you.

Jake's picture

Thanks Rags for the reply. All in all I feel good about my deciion to go forward and disengage again.

I plan on being corgil and polite, I will answer calls thats it.

Then the help phone call will come in and I will say I just do not feeling comfortable dealing with your problems.

Considering I am only a part time stepdad, I would not feel right considering you have a father, a mother, a boyfriend and your brother. We no longer have that type of relationship.

That should send the message that I am now her mothers husband.

Thanks Again for your insught warmest regards Jake

Stepmof3's picture

that was one of the nicest posts I ever read here, from the heart. Most of the posts I read people are happy to disengage as they mock their sk with hate. I dont hate my sk I just feel the same that the love I give is never ever gonna be returned the same. To add I feel pressured by Dh to 'become' a family at all costs. Nothing is wrong with you wanting to disangage, I understand completely and if this person was a 'friend' you no longer be wanting this relationship 

to me theres a line where so much you can give to someone- anyone - friend, BK, spouse - and not get ANYTHING back in return. There is a point where all the effort the love the money the time - nothing cames back to you and you don't even hear a 'thank you' that you need to think this is not healthy for you and is not beinf selfish thinking about what you want of a relationship with anyone. Some Step kids feel so entitled sometimes because they see themselves as a 'victim' of a divorce that they dont see that there is a new person that had nothing to do w their parents problems just trying to HELP AND LOVE them as much as they can!

this type of sk are the problem and not you! Disengage my friend but do it all in and feel no remorse! I would keep my door open for forgiveness and love but I wouldn't be the one calling anyone. And I would be HONEST TO this sk ! I would write or talk about how you feel, the things you did, and why you are disengaging! They are adults and should be treated as such, as you have feelings and deseve to be treated as a human being for everything you have done to build a happy family over the years!

from one broken heart stepparent to another 

Jake's picture

My dear Step mom of 3. You are such a kind soul to give me the boost my deflated ego so needs.

I love my step kids as they were my own. I have never heard the words Dad but once, from the two youngest on my wedding

day.

All of my step children have children. I just want that father child bond. I have spent a lifetime trying to achieve that goal.

To no avail. The relization that I will never be accepted in that role is my greatest heart ache.

I am the product of a caring loving Mother and Father. I am 1 of 5 children. My mother was a stay at home mother.

My parent were married till death did they part. We were and still are a close family.

We were and still are part of each others lives. I or my wife never let more than a week go by without seeing or talking to our 

parents. Once the were widowd we talked to our mothers daily. Guess that is old fashioned.

I am ok with my new role as my SK's mothers husband. There are no lesser actors only smaller roles to quote someone I think 

lol. 

May life treat you well. I know that you are a good and kind person. Be healthy and safe 

Warmest of regards Jake

ldvilen's picture

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this: " Most of the posts I read [here] people are happy to disengage as they mock their sk with hate."  Very few of us here hate our SKs.  You have to remember this is a site "Where Stepparents Come to Vent."  And, vent they do.  Behind every seemingly Evil SM, happy to disengage as they mock their SK, as you say, there is a SM with heart and feeling (a few exceptions noted) and with stories just as tearingly similar or worse than Jake’s.  For these women, it has gone on for years and years.

But. . . after all of those years, the only "suggestion" they seem to be able to get from any and all is, "Suck it up and take it," "It's your duty," "You knew what you were getting into," and so on.  There is next to nil practical advice that takes the SM’s point-of-view into consideration anywhere but here, and there is definitely even a sexist element to most expectations that our society has for SMs that are not there for men.  I'm not saying step-dads have it better than SMs, but I am saying while there are commonalities with SMs and step-dads, there are also differences.  And those differences can and often do make it worse for women and for women to feel emboldened to do anything about it.

See, when I'm on these pages, I always feel I am commiserating with other broken-hearted stepparents.  We all not only feel, "the love I give is never ever gonna be returned the same," but we also feel the love I give is never ever gonna be returned period.  It is the “period” part that gets to most.  Most of us don’t expect the same, but we expect something vs. just nothing or to be villainized for our efforts. 

The next couple of paragraphs are golden, and I agree with you 100%, “To me there’s a line where so much you can give to someone- anyone - friend, BK, spouse - and not get ANYTHING back in return.”  That entire paragraph and what follows is spot on, and applies to pretty much every one of us.

from one broken heart stepparent to another 

Kaylee's picture

Got to agree with you Idvilen!

I come from a very large family which I love being a part of.

When I met my ex partner, and things were going well, I was excited to meet his daughter and get to know her. I have two children of my own, and to me, the more the merrier!

Unfortunately, it did not pan out - the daughter resented me from the start and made that obvious. She did not want to get to know me, or my kids, one bit. 

I think most of us would like to have a cordial relationship with our stepkids - not many set out with the intention of "hating" them.