You are here

Stepsons bedroom

Mamato2's picture
Forums: 

My stepson has the smallest bedroom in the house, we are a 3-bedroom household. I have two kids of my own that live with us 24/7. My stepson has the smallest room it is still roomy there's enough room to do everything he needs to do. My husband and I are trying to have a child together. We are at a Wit's End as to who gets the second largest bedroom. I want to move my two boys into the largest bedroom. Second largest aside from the master which is ours. I feel like the child that is not here as often, two nights a month, should get the smallest bedroom. He wants him to have the second largest bedroom because he's the oldest. Then the baby that we are going to have, God willing, would have thesmallest bedroom. And then when the time comes we would switch rooms so then our kid who is there 24/7 would have the second biggest room. Am I crazy for wanting to keep my stepson in the smallest room so we don't have to go back and forth and he is only here an average of two nights a month. I keep getting told that I am treating him like a guest in this house while this is not just a  house it is his home. I don't know if there is some other s*** going on in his head as to why he would say that but we cannot come to terms on this point

lieutenant_dad's picture

Your kids have to share, is that my understanding? If so, they get the bigger room since they have more stuff. Kid who is a singleton gets the smaller room. It makes no sense to put a single kid into a bigger room and shove the two kids you already have into the smaller room.

This isn't about age or how often someone lives there. You have a more pragmatic argument. You and DH share a room, so you need a bigger master bedroom. Therefore, kids who share a room need a bigger room. Break it down by square footage per kid if you need to. Your SS will still come out ahead.

SMto2's picture

I'm so confused! lol. The numbers are not adding up here for me! You said you have a THREE-BEDROOM house, correct? After the master (we'll call that Bedroom #1,) that only leaves two bedrooms to work with, the second largest (Bedroom #2) and the smallest (Bedroom #3.) You said SS is currently in the smallest bedroom (Bedroom #3) and you want to move your 2 into the second largest bedroom (Bedroom #2.) Where do your 2 bios sleep now? Also, if you have a baby, if you put the baby in the second largest bedroom (Bedroom #2) and SS stays in the smallest bedroom where he is now (Bedroom #3,) where will your 2 bios sleep then? It seems to me you need at least 4 bedrooms to have a master, a shared bedroom for your bios, a room for the baby and a room for SS. Am I missing something here??  Beyond that, I think the SS should stay in the smallest bedroom due to visiting so infrequently and not having as much stuff there. 

Rags's picture

Kids on a visitation schedule do not get priority for bedrooms.  In a 3br home with three full time resident kids and one visitation kid... the rooms go to the resident kids and the visiting kid fits where they can when they are visiting.

Trundle beds are good option to fit a visiting kid into limited bedroom space.  When you have a baby coming the smaller of the secondary bedrooms should be a nursery while the two older full time resident kids share the larger secondary room.

The Skid does a pull out trundle in the big kids room or.... an Aerobed in the dining room or wherever an Aerobed will fit.

Keep it simple. Resident kids get priority of space and rooms.  Unless the resident kids are just the spawn of the live in of the month in which case the spawn of the home owner get the rooms and the kids of the rotating partner of the month are put in whatever corner will work...... 

We had to fight this battle with the SpermClan when SS was fairly young.  At that time the SpermIdiot had a proficient breeder of a live in GF with several children.  When SS visited for that summer it was one of the rare visits that he spent more than a few hours with his SpermIdiot. They put him on the the floor in the living room.  We spoke with him, he told us about sleeping on the hard floor with no pad or matress so we had our lawyer call and light them up.  That was the last night SS had to sleep on the floor.  He moved into one of the bedrooms and a couple of the GF's half dozen or so unrelated kids went onto the living room floor.

After that.... SS always had a bed. Not long after that SpermIdiot spawn #2 moved in with SpermGrandHag and SS spent most of his time with SpermGrandHag on visitation.  That successfully breeding GF went the way of countless others and the youngest two SpermIdiot spawn by baby mama #3 entered the picture. Also raised by SpermGrandHag.

The SpermIdiot faded from that point and pretty much pawned everything about his 4 all out of wedlock children by three baby mamas off on SpermGrandHag even more than he always done.

Harry's picture

For even entertaining this ideas.  Kids who visit for four night a month don't get choice or bedrooms.  You do what works best for the family