You are here

Advice on dealing with absent parent returning

MoominStepMum's picture
Forums: 

I'm not sure if anyone will see this before tonight but I would really appreciate some advice with handling a difficult situation.

I have been a step-parent to three children for the last 15 years. Their mum was divorced from their dad when we met. 3 weeks after I started dating him (I was 21) she turned up with the children's clothes in bin bags and said she no longer wanted them.

They have lived with us ever since and I have taken on the parental role. Due to being abandoned by their mum (who had another child with a new partner) they experienced mental health issues and were aggressive and violent and it's been difficult to cope with at times. I have a really good relationship with them all now.

Tonight the youngest has a school event. I have always been the one to help with her education, parents evenings, homework, applications. She's now a school leaver and this is in celebration of that.

Her mum has decided that she would like to attend and my step-daughter is understandably pleased that her mum has shown an interest in her.

Her mum is now picking her up and will sit with her for the event. I find this very difficult. The evening is celebrating all the years of hard work and for her mum to turn up and pretend to be the parent at this stage is really hard for me.

I want the evening to be about my step-daughter and for her not to feel any tension but I know I'm going to find this really hard. I would never be rude or say anything in public but if someone has been through this and can let me know that it's totally normal to feel this resentment then I would really appreciate it.

Any advice from people that have experienced this would be amazing.

Thanks x

classyNJ's picture

I feel for you. Step-parenting is a thankless job and takes a very giving soul to do it.

Kudos to you for raising such a wonderful young lady. You should pat yourself on the back even if noone else will do it.

I think most of us has been in this position, myself included. My SS's dead beat douche only sees them once or twice a year during holidays, but parades them around like trophies (my SS19's words) and posts pictures on facebook and is told what a wonderful mom she is. :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

It hurts but try to remember you are above it and just smile for SD. She knows who was there and who wasn't

ldvilen's picture

Every SP, no matter how much work they have done, no matter how much they have given up for their SKs, no matter how much they have been the better "parent," no matter what age the SKs are. . . they are all just one step away from becoming Evil SM. This is why SMs who come here and brag how they stuck it out for a year or two, and now, another couple years down the road they are "finally" reaping the benefits, can be rather unnerving and frustrating sometimes to us old timers. In reality, you are always walking on a narrow tightrope when you are a SP. I didn't fully fall into the Evil SM bucket for 14 years, although I realize now it probably happened a lot earlier than I thought. I just didn't realize it.

I'm not going to say too much more than that, other than there must be a special place in purgatory for moms or dads who skip out on their children, no questions asked, and then come back years later and want to suddenly be mom and dad again. The kids are almost fully raised and grown and have become well-rounded adults (due to zero contribution from absentee mom and dad), and the absentee parent wants to step-in and displace the other parents and wreck havoc once again on their children's hearts. And, everyone, the media, neighbors, relatives, ministers, counselors will be jumping all other themselves to parade around and congratulate the absentee parent on what could really be labeled little more than self-centered histrionics. They may share DNA, but that's pretty much it. After yeah many years, BM and her children are strangers. So, why is BM coming out of the woodwork now?

Best of luck to you! I don't have any further advice to give because I have not been in the situation, but have heard plenty about the challenges of such on this website. Of course everyone knows that BM and bio-dad and child have a right to know each other, but if it isn't done correctly, and I don't think most do, unrealistic expectations can cause a lot of chaos for multiple family members. Try to get your SKs to go slow!, and pray they have good heads on their shoulders, and like classNJ says, hopefully she'll come to know who was there and who wasn't, because they have to see it for themselves to get it.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

Idvilen, that first sentence is spot on!! I'm living it with the SDs. Suddenly, I'm evil and BioHo is damn near a saint. :sick:

OP, you've already been given excellent advice. Sorry you're dealing with this. {{{hugs}}}