You are here

Not sure if this is off topic. I think I am going to stir up a hornets nest too. Please read this with an open mind.

notthebradybunch6's picture

OK, so I am in an interesting position.

When my first husband and I got together, I soon found out that he had a child with another woman, and that woman was still in his life, the "in his life" details were very sketchy at the time. He told it was over, she was writing to me telling me I stole him from her and that they were an item. Around the same time I found out I was pregnant and that pretty much cemented things for me. Anyway, for the first few years, my first husband did not have much to do with his first born, no matter how much I pushed and pleaded for him to take an interest. The mother HATED me. I could never quite understand her position, but there it was. My first husband treated that first born terribly, and wound up giving parental rights up when the kid was 8.

Now I am the ex. He remarried and lives 2 blocks away with the new woman. To this point I have not had any real issues with his new life with his new wife. She is good to the kids, and when he is away on business trips I let her get the kids on what would be his time. She is pregnant now.

That bothers me. I don't like that is bothers me. I have moved on and remarried myself. I don't know if part of the reason it bother's me is because one of the reasons he wanted the divorce is that he didn't want any more children and I did. He never really wanted any children. It was only a niggling little bother at first, the kind I can overcome pretty quickly, but then I found out they were going to name the baby if it was girl after my ex and I's daughter who passed away at 17 months, 14 months before he decided he didn't want to be married anymore or have any more kids. Now that really bothers me. The thing is our daughter was his also. Can I really tell him I would rather he leave her name out of it? Is that fair?

These feelings I am having, what can only be termed as resentment, are making me think back to the first born. The mother was probably feeling much the way I do right now. Maybe I can understand a little of what it had been like for her now.

Jsmom's picture

I would ask kindly to not name the child that. That is a constant reminder for you. I lost a child and was deeply upset even 10 years later when a cousin named their child that name. I had to let it go, because I don't see them much. But, this one I would not let go. There are many names out there to choose. If he is trying to honor that child he can make it the middle name and then it is not a constant reminder for anyone....

Amazedstepmom's picture

Maybe suggest a version of your daughters name, if her name was Alexandra, maybe Alexa, similar but not the same
I am so sorry for your loss and how hard this must be on you. I hope they are receptive.

branmuffin97's picture

I just can't even fathom that...HUGE hugs to you. I miscarried a few months ago...we had jokingly "named" the baby. If current dh and I divorced and he named a new child that name...I would snap. seriously.

Good luck...and fingers crossed for a boy...ugh.

ownedbypedro's picture

I can't imagine his new wife truly being okay with this. Is it possible for you to appeal to her - mom to mom?

God Bless.