You are here

How do you handle schedule changes?

Redsox22's picture

Hey all-

Here is my situation. Looking for insight. Thanks!

BF and I have similar schedules with our kids. We have them the same weekends and most of the same weekdays. When we don't have the kids we stay together.

BF travels a lot for work. We don't live together and his 15 yr old daughter is not comfortable with me staying over when she is there. Sometimes he needs to ask BM to take his daughter when he is traveling.

When he returns BM will ask him to make up the days she covered for him.

I feel resentful that I lose the days we normally stay together because of the travel (this part I'm ok with), AND then I lose more days when he gets back because BM asked him to take his daughter and his daughter is not comfortable with me staying over so I end up going home.

It seems that the only one sacrificing is me. BM gets her free days, daughter doesn't have me stay over. BF is sort of indifferent.

I resent that the impact of his travel is the greatest on me.

Am I just entirely selfish?

twoviewpoints's picture

It's not selfish of you, but knowing that and getting anything changed about the situation are two very different issues.

See, you're the only one unhappy with the situation. It works for Dad, BM and SD. They aren't on the same page of opinion on your personal loss of couple time. Until your BF decides to either not make up the SD loss time or takes a stand on SD's objections to you spending the overnight, nothing is going to change... no matter how selfish or rightfully justified anyone here feels you are/are not.

The problem isn't really your BF traveling or Dad making time up lost with SD. No. The problem is Dad is allowing his daughter to dictate his adult personal life. You get sent home at like 8pm (or whatever) cause SD says you must be. She's, ugh, not 'ready' to acknowledge Daddy doesn't need her permission to have a sex life *rolls eyes*.

Redsox22's picture

I agree that BF needs to take a stand to SD about me spending the night. But he is unwilling to do that at this time. He wants to give her more time. He feels that pushing this as he tried a few times has created more problems and works against us, so he is of the opinion that giving her more time will help her come around.

In the meantime, I'm just supposed to be flexible if BM asks him to take her on days we spend together. I suspect she is seeing someone new and wants more kid free time and so these requests are getting more frequent. BF feels that he needs to say yes when she asks since she takes SD when he travels.

I am the only one who loses.

CupAjoe's picture

The other option is, stay at your own house on nights he's traveling and has her. She stays at home and doesn't HAVE to switch with bm and he doesn't have to make it up. Have him be clear that if you aren't staying there and she chooses to go to bm, its not time hes required to make up.

Redsox22's picture

I'm not sure I understand this? I've offered to take care of SD when he travels, either taking my kids and going to his place or have her at my place do BM doesn't have to take her. SD says no to this. She just wants to stay with mom. BF doesn't push it

bradybunch2013's picture

How long have you and BF been together? Is SD comfortable doing things with you guys when you're there and just not comfortable with the overnights or does she dominate BFs time when you're all there?

CupAjoe's picture

Keep in mind when he's traveling on his nights with her, he's missing time with her whether she stays at his house or BM covers for him and he may* want to make that time up. As kids get older it becomes less and less necessary that he switch days with bm when he's traveling when he can just as easily leave her at the house. The issue is are you welcome to stay there when she's there and should he allow her to dictate that. I say no. It's a relationship and there's compromise to be had, but he needs to tell 15 y/o to get used to it, you aren't going anywhere and she needs to learn to coexist with you there when he's not. If it happens often enough that he's not getting time with her you're also going to have to deal with occasional schedule swaps. There's no reason you can't mix up both, but he needs to be the parent and tell her to get over it. You also need to get over the fact that couple time has to come second sometimes.

SO and I have the same kid schedule now, but when it was slightly different I would often watch the kids if he had to go out of town on his night with them, including a 14 y/o daughter, so that he wouldn't have to ask bm to cover. Nights he travels and we don't have the kids I still stay at his house.

Redsox22's picture

I do accept that sometimes couple time comes second. I accept this when he has to
Travel and I accept it when BM asks for a favor. It just seems to be happening more and more and the resentment comes from feeling like I'm the only one sacrificing.

I have offered to help with SD when he travels and SD says no- she is not comfortable.

I understand that he may want to recover some of the list time with his daughter. I just don't like that it comes at my expense. I've lost time with him too and now I am being asked to give up more time to satisfy BM, SD and perhaps him too.

The easy solution is for me to stay and we take SD to free up BM. This is a loss of couple time still but it would be much preferred and more easy to accept than me going home alone. But again, BF is not willing to push this issue.

It seems like I don't have many options here.

Redsox22's picture

They have every other Friday-Sunday together, plus 2 nights a week, plus he drives her to school almost every day and helps with homework at least once a week on days she is with BM as well as drives her to activities on days she is with BM.

It's not 8 days a month, it's more like 12 plus HW and drives to school and activities on BM days. He is very present in her life.

He pays CS as if BM has her 100% of the time so she cannot ask for more $.

Redsox22's picture

Yes- there are many positives. And things are better than what a lot of folks here have to deal with. I know this.

He is a good dad, just lets his guilt involving the divorce dictate more than I'm comfortable with.

Again, is this the hill I'm willing to die on? I won't change him. I need to accept that he is willing to accommodate BM and SD at my expense or move on. I'm torn.

Redsox22's picture

We have been together almost a year and a half. I met SD almost a year ago. She is a lovely girl with this exception - not accepting SO in her parents life. And her parents bending to her wishes.

He pays CS as if she has 100% custody when in reality he has her 40% of the time. Before me they didn't have a schedule. He was at their beck and call. Of course they didn't like the change to a schedule but agreed to it. He actually has more time with his daughter now because it's set and less up to her whims.

She has plenty of quality time with him and I am open to time with the 3 of us but she is the one preventing that.
I know everyone does things differently in terms of timing.

I'm struggling to find balance between giving SD time to come around and feeling like I'm letting a 15 year old dictate my relationship.

BF says we are the adults and we have to take care of the kids and in this case we have to take care SD and help her come around by not pushing her. This is the biggest source of conflict between us.

Willow2010's picture

So how long have you been together? Why is she uncomfortable? How long have they been divorced? Were you the OW?
Is she religious? Are you very new to the relationship?

My DH and I “dated” for 7 ish years before we married or lived together. He NEVER stayed at my house if the kids were there or visa versa.

You probably only have a few more years to deal with this so I would just let it go. Let him hang with his DD while he still can. She won’t want to in a few years. (usually)

Redsox22's picture

We've been together almost 1.5 years. She's known me almost a year. BF has been divorced 4 years. She's never met (her choice) anyone her parents dated. I was not the OW. They are not very religious.

She doesn't articulate why she is uncomfortable. She just says she is not ready to have me stay over and gets very upset and makes her dad feel like he isn't taking care of her if he pushes it.

Willow- did you just go with the flow and give up time together when he had the kids? Did you feeling you were giving more? How flexible did you need to be?

Redsox22's picture

To be fair- he does say no to her and hold firm on things. I think in this case he has a lot of guilt about the divorce because it hurt SD so much and she has been very hard on him about it.

He felt that he didn't take care of her by leaving and how he is overly sensitive about making her feel any negative impact of the divorce which means not moving forward with a SO until she is comfortable.

Willow2010's picture

Well I had my own kids so I was always busy with them. DH probably gave up more time and had to be more flexible because of MY kids since they were full time. When I had my kids, I knew full well that I was going to raise them for the next 18 years. And given certain situation, I would not put them on a back burner for anyone. And I didn't. Neither did DH where his kid was concerned.

I can see where your SD and you BF are coming from. They really only have a few years left to hang out like they do now. I would just go with the flow and not push it. She will naturally start to have more friends and want to do other things.

And seriously....you probably don't want to hang with SD anyway. The girl skids are usually really bad. lol

Redsox22's picture

Good points here.

I would feel differently if I felt that either of them felt like they needed and wanted more time alone together. While this very well may be the case, I don't get that sense. Not from him or from her. But I'll consider that.

Redsox22's picture

Yes- that's where I was going with my response.

I'd feel ok with them having more timeline they need it, of course. And I gets its not my place to determine that.

What I'm seeing though is that I get the back burner because BM wants the night off and SD doesn't want me to stay over.

CupAjoe's picture

A year is plenty of time. Tell him to sack up and nudge her along. I've told SO before that I'm comfortable taking our time progressing our relationship(because the only next steps are the most serious) as long as he's working and making an effort towards it and that if he stopped making that effort or isn't trying to work through the things that make him nervous I would not wait around for him. Thankfully he makes a very conscious and visible effort, but I think you're in the same boat, this relationship can't progress if he's not willing to try and move things along. You(15 y/o) don't just wake up one day and decided to change...there has to be a catalyst and that catalyst needs to be him... using his balls a little.

Redsox22's picture

I agree!!!!

We are trying to progress and I see him trying to work towards that. We have a group activity every 2 weeks when we both have the kids. SD sometimes pushes back on this but he set the expectation that we will do this because she uses the excuse that she doesn't know me well. He is firm that in order to get to know me we need to spend time together, so once every 2 weeks we do something all together. I also see her in between if she comes by for homework help or BM changes a day.

So I do see some effort. I don't know what else he can do to move this along short of forcing her to accept me staying over which A- will cause a huge fight between them and then him resenting me for causing her pain and B- him feeling like because we've pushed her now it will take more time for her to come around.

What are the options?!

CupAjoe's picture

Make a decision, is this a deal breaker? Are you willing to wait and hope he eventually does something? Can you sit him down and tell him all of this that you aren't going to wait for him if he's not trying to nudge this along because what he's currently doing isn't working?

Redsox22's picture

Yes- this is where we are at.

I'm trying to figure out if this is a deal breaker. Some days I feel so frustrated and I think I it is. Other days I look more at the big picture and that is that we have a good relationship aside from this issue and hopefully in 3 years she will be off to college.

Taking about it gets us no where at this point. We see things differently. He thinks we put the kids first 100 % and I see that if we don't take care of our relationship too it will fall apart. I don't let my kids dictate my adult relationships why should I let his daughter do it?

He says we have different values when it comes to the kids. His idea of taking care of them is that as adults we put our needs aside entirely. So in this case I just suck it up and go home until she is ready. My idea is that we take care of the kids AND each other. We may not all get 100 % of what we want but we compromise and all needs are considered.

Should children always come first? Should I just sacrifice here?

bradybunch2013's picture

I'm with you on the way of thinking. Your adult relationship has to last way past the kid's home years so letting it fall to the wayside doesn't make sense. Both my oldest and my youngest were very resentful of the time my SO took me away from them (middle child was indifferent) even though they liked him. They were used to the way it was when their dad and I were married where he was very uninvolved and they pretty much had my undivided attention since not only did I work from home but I homeschooled them too. They were used to having me there 24/7. It took quite a while for them to get used to the idea that he was going to be around for a long time. We didn't let that dictate what we did and didn't do. Sometimes I did things with just my kids and him with his kids, sometimes we did things all together, and even other times he just joined us if his kids were at their mom's. I didn't insist they love him or give the impression that he was going to replace their dad (although in a manner he's stepped up better than BD has). The resentment was short lived because they saw that it wasn't getting them anywhere and finally realized that this man was making mommy so much happier which is ALWAYS a good thing for everyone in the house :). We've been together for almost three years and he's one of the family. Maybe more like the crazy uncle to my DS's 18 & 15 but they enjoy having him around nonetheless. DD 9 adores him and feels like he's a good man for "us" which I happen to agree with.

I might suggest continuing your honest efforts but maybe dad needs to sit her down and say "hey, I understand you don't feel ready for her to stay overnight for some reason but it's going to happen. Maybe not this month, or next but soon. I'm not asking you to like it but I am requiring you to show her respect when you're here. She's not here to replace your spot in my heart, that will never change...". You get the idea! Maybe if she has the picture that her opinion is not going to change his mind and that it is inevitable then she'll quit whining so much.

LikeMinded's picture

So, what's your end goal here? Are you trying to "blend" the two families to eventually live together?

The arrangement you have now is MUCH better than ever living with this girl. Just read all the threads about step daughters on this board. She has made it clear she doesn't want you... if you move in together, it will be a nightmare.

Your BF is a man... and men do what they want to do. He wants to cater to her, not to you. You know exactly where you stand in the pecking order:

SD
BM
YOU <---number 3

All you need to do is look at his actions.

If I were you, I'd make myself less available to this man. He doesn't value you. He's not giving ANYTHING to have you.

YOU should be too busy to see HIM, IMO. You've put yourself in the position of courting him instead of him courting you (and that feels yucky, doesn't it).

Find your power.

hereiam's picture

I don't see anything wrong with parents NOT having sleepovers when they have their kids.

That's just something one has to tolerate when dating someone with kids. Yes, it sucks but...

Now, if you choose to commit to living together or marriage, his daughter is going to have to be more forthcoming about what the problem is and your BF will have to deal with that accordingly.

You do get along with his daughter, correct? She's not hateful or disrespectful when you are all together?

CupAjoe's picture

This is also true sometimes, some people even have it in their custody agreements that overnight guests aren't allowed at all when the kids are there or until they've gotten married or have been dating x amount of time.

Redsox22's picture

Hereiam- I do get along with SD. The issues are more with the "idea" of dad have a SO, not really based on any thing personal. She is slow to feel comfortable. I get that. But at what point is giving her more time just too much?

We are trying to move towards living together and marriage. I'm not rushing into that but in the interim it would be nice to be able to spend time together and not give up previous nights together.

Fwiw- he has spent the night when I've had my kids with zero issues

hereiam's picture

I get that this is frustrating for you but you are not living together, married, or engaged, and your BF is okay with not having sleepovers when his daughter is there. Maybe he wants it that way. Maybe he sees this as setting a good example.

Before my DH and I made the commitment to live together, I did not want him spending the night on the weekends he had his daughter, it just didn't feel right.

People can say that kids should not dictate their parents' relationships, and in certain circumstances, that is true, but neither should parents just do whatever the hell they want, kids be damned.

Redsox22's picture

I agree with you here. I think for me the issue is more that we can't move forward because SD is not ready. She is not even ready for interim steps like sleepovers, sharing a hotel room even.

And BF leaves it open ended. How long will this go on? According to him, as long as it takes. I struggle with accepting that.

Also, it doesn't feel good that because he chooses to do BM a favor by taking SD on her days that I am the one giving up the most. He has his Daugherty, BM gets a night out and I go home alone. My kids are with their dad on days BF normallly spend together.

hereiam's picture

Maybe he doesn't see it as doing BM a favor but as making up his lost time with his daughter.

You feel that you are giving up the most but you expect your BF to give up time that he can have with his daughter? It sucks that he has to go out of town and that messes up the schedule but it is what it is.

Redsox22's picture

Ok- in the case of travel he may see it as getting back lost time. But as I said- I don't get the sense either is really looking for more time together.

But aside from travel, BM asks BF to take SD and he says yes, knowing it takes time from us. We can't have both, time together and SD there because she is not comfortable.

I really don't think this is about quality time with his daughter. I could be wrong but that's never been the angle.

It's about accommodating SD, BM and I'm 3rd fiddle.

hereiam's picture

I would try to get to the bottom of that and find out what the real deal is. IF he is just doing it to accommodate them, then I would have a problem with him doing it every time.

Redsox22's picture

I really do get the sense that he is just trying to accommodate them. If he wanted more time there are other opportunities for more time that don't take time from us.

He thinks he should keep the peace with BM and SD.. He's getting the benefit of time with his daughter and I go home alone.

I guess he is showing me that he is ok with making me 2nd or 3rd.

He says he would be fine with things if the situation was reversed. Do he doesn't understand why this is a problem for me.

bradybunch2013's picture

Then maybe on occasion when SD isn't there and it's your alone time with him you all of a sudden have plans with your kids and he needs to stay home by himself. Or have a girls night out when he's spending time with SD so he can see that you have a life outside of being at his beck and call. Once he's starting to miss that time with you and you seem indifferent to it all of a sudden is when the roles switch back to where they should be and he's chasing you. If that doesn't happen then you probably are falling for him harder than he is for you and if that's not ok with you then you might need to step back and reconsider if that's something you can live with. Some people are more needy of their SO's time and some are fine being by themselves. If you're one and he's the other it could be a long lonely future for you.

CupAjoe's picture

I know things don't necessarily look hopeful for your relationship with her, but at 15 she's off to college in a few years and it wont matter anymore worst case.

I also refuse to believe that it's not possible to have a good relationship with a SD. I've been in SO's teenaged daughter's life for over a year now and we have a great relationship, I am most definitely more than just dad's gf. We do things together, she's very comfortable with me, asks me to do things with her and told SO she loves me. I think a lot of it is just luck of the draw, but it happens sometimes and I don't and won't have a daughter so I eat it all up. There is some hope.

Redsox22's picture

I do think we can have a good relationship.

I think that her feelings are valid but that she has been given too much control. There is no incentive for her to ever be ready. Then what?

Wait until she is off to college? Go home and give up time with BF every time BM asks a favor or wants to make up for his travel days?

LikeMinded's picture

Is it me, or does it seem like kids of divorce have higher "failure to launch" rates? It be interesting to see some data.

Rags's picture

The issue is concentrated in this sentence from your original post IMHO.

"BF travels a lot for work. We don't live together and his 15 yr old daughter is not comfortable with me staying over when she is there. Sometimes he needs to ask BM to take his daughter when he is traveling."

First, who gives a f~(k what a 15yo is or isn't comfortable with in YOUR relationship? Kids get not say, and they get no opinion regarding the lives of their parents until they are putting the parents in a nursing home or in the ground and then only if the parent did not address those decisions on their own prior to the event. Period. Ever..... end of discussion.

Second, I assume that your BF is the NCP. The one advantage that the NCP has over the CP is schedule. The CP has custody and the responsibility for the spawn 24/7. The NCP only has physical responsibility for the spawn when the spawn is physically with the NCP. If your BF is traveling for work and cannot take his spawn then his X owns the issue and he is not obligated to take his visitation or to make it up even if it is court ordered. In my experience the family law crap on this issue is reasonably clear. Support and visitation are not connected and if visitation is missed it cannot be made up or forced to be made up except upon agreement of both of the spawning adults for that kid.

So, if your SO is the NCP, BM can go screw herself on this issue.

You and SO need to grow a set with both this kid and with BM. You are not selfish. However, both you and your SO are definately spineless.

IMHO of course.

hereiam's picture

Amen.

Redsox22's picture

I don't know how much she is manipulating. I think
She is being honest about her feelings but at the same time I think she likes that she can have power over her dad's relationship. She has control. She likes it. Both are true. I believe.,

It feels like he chooses to appease his ex, his daughter, but me- I'm supposed to just accept things., that doesn't feel good.

If we had an end point, say, another year, and at that time we move forward with engagement, marriage, etc then I'd be more ok with giving SD time. It's the open ended ness that bothers me,

I mentioned this to BF and he took it as me saying his daughter is the problem and that I'm not an understanding person. He got very upset.

Redsox22's picture

Rags- you are correct- he is NCP. He pays as if BM has her 100% of the time even though he has her about 40-50%.

He is trying to be "fair" and maintain a good relationship with his daughter. He knows he is not obligated to make up the days but he feels that by not trying to accommodate BM she will retaliate with his daughter. Plus, he does want time with his daughter of course!

I'm trying not to be spineless. This is my struggle! Do I pick this battle and lose the war?

Do I fight it and we break up? Do I stick it out longer?

He made It clear he will not just force her to accept me staying over. She made it clear she is not ready and pushing her will damage their relationship.

I'm not sure what to do- see above post. This relationship means a lot to me and I don't want lose it. But I
Don't want to be walked all over either!

Redsox22's picture

I think we both want it sooner rather than later but he is willing to post-pone based on how his daughter feels.

Redsox22's picture

I'm not sure. Based on what folks shared here maybe it is best to wait until SD is off to college.

Is be ok with that if we could spend time together when we wanted and didn't have to be apart when he has is daughter.

Redsox22's picture

Maybe we differ too much here?

He puts the kids first- always.

For me kids are part of the equation but he and I are too.

Irreconcilable differences?

Disneyfan's picture

What Tommar said.

I used the kid excuse when my son was a minor. No one stayed over night when my son was a kid and moving in with me was out of the question.

Rags's picture

Sox,

I understand your conundrum. I will respond with a question.

Can you be equity life partners if there are three people in your marriage and you rank at the bottom of the priority order?

You know the answer to that question. We all do.

Take care of you.

LikeMinded's picture

Most of us are on this board "venting" because we achieved exactly what you are trying to acheive.

I would WAIT.

Nobody ever says they didn't get married soon enough, yet how many say they got married too soon?!

What you have now is the ideal scenario: you have the love of this man, the sex, the fun times... even family time with both families. None of the living with the SKID nightmare.

This girl will make your life hell, she's already shown you who she is, you need to believe her. And she's not magically going away at age 18.

Keep things separate until you are sure that you will really get the throne. Right now, he's showing you that don't have it. .. and he's the only one who can make this happen.

Keep dating the dude... and don't be at his beck and call anymore.

hereiam's picture

Can you imagine what other sacrifices he'll ask of you based how his daughter feels? I hate to feel like I'm beating a dead horse here, but I would not marry this man.

Other than the sleepover issue, OP does not imply that this girl is a spoiled brat, who makes outrageous demands of her father.

CupAjoe's picture

I'm not suggesting she magically will go away at 18...kids NEVER go away entirely, some more than others. But this specific issue which is her being home and not being comfortable with gf there has to go away at some point. If bf is willing to let an adult child decide who is allowed at his house, then dump him immediately. The issue is having minor children in the house that can't just up and leave if they want to and having to be flexible. Do people really go into marriages without the expectation that the kids come first? It doesn't always happen that way, but that should be everyone assumption.

CupAjoe's picture

Agreed... but where is the line drawn then? It's completely subjective and up to the people involved to draw their line in the sand and either choose to accept the things they don't like or split up.

CupAjoe's picture

Are those things not what we're discussing here?

It doesn't even matter, at the end of the day she needs to decided and accept what her boundaries and deal breakers are, discuss them with him and see where he stands... and be prepared to walk away if he isn't willing to budge. I sure as hell wouldn't expect a change. If he makes one and proves he's capable of it great, if not, walk away.

CupAjoe's picture

Amen.

Redsox22's picture

Yes- that's the difference. I feel like the SD is dictating the terms, not us.,

He seems ok with that framing it as taking care of her. And doesn't understand why it's a problem for me. We had planned on moving in together around the 2 year mark. Now that's on hold indefinitely because of SD.

This has become such a heated issue for us. And a hot button.

Disneyfan's picture

Maybe the guy just doesn't have the guts to say we need to slow this down. :?

It's possible that he is just fine with things the way they are.

Redsox22's picture

Thanksgiving all together, Christmas he came after to spend a few days with me and my kids at my parents house. SD was invited but declined. He spent a few days over the summer visit family with me and the kids. Again SD invited but declined.

She declines when it involves travel.

BF has come to sports events for my kids. His daughter doesn't do anything really so nothing to attend yet.

He has helped me out, picked up son from practice once. I've made similar offers but haven't been taken up on it yet.

My kids have no issues blending, so far.

Redsox22's picture

The CS comment came in response to folks saying he has to take SD to make up for time lost when traveling or else BM can say he is not paying enough. He pays based on her having full custody, even though they share custody.

My kids like BF and SD and have no issue with spending time with either. BF spent the night over Christmas vacation at my parents house. His daughter was invited but didn't want to come.

We spent thanksgiving together as a group. No problems.

Have not vacationed together yet since SD doesn't want to. I've invited them along to join me and my kids but it ends up that he joins us for part (when she is with mom). My kids like having him around and would like SD around more.

Redsox22's picture

I think BF and I want what you describe and are both willing to help each other and support each other. We have the same vision.

But what do we do when SD doesn't want to come aboard with things?

So we integrate with my kids and let her decide when/if to join us? That's what we have been doing.

But long term it will be complex when trying to include travel and holidays will far away family.

Is this just hopeless?!

Redsox22's picture

Yes- it appears that it works for everyone but me.

Is it a deal breaker for me? I'm trying to figure that out.

WTF...REALLY's picture

Here is my two cents.

If your boyfriend really wanted you to spend the night when his kid is there, he would invite you to spend the night. So obviously he does not want it as well as his daughter.

He has known her for 15 years and you for a year and a half. I see nothing wrong with him taking it slowly with you. A year and a half is not that long to know someone. I find what he is doing to be very respectable. You two are not married, there really is no reason for you to sleep over when his kid is there. And are you bringing your kids along to spend the night when you spend the night? It seems like your kids are being dragged back-and-forth between homes for mom's booty call.

Redsox22's picture

To clarify- my kids are with their dad on the occasions we are taking about. These are days we planned to be together since we don't have the kids and BM asks him to take SD. My kids are not part of this.

I'm not trying to insert myself during his time with his daughter. I'm trying to not be put out all the time during our planned time together just because BM asks a favor.

Secondly- we have known each other for 4 years, but have been dating 1.5 years.

Third- it was he who initially wanted me to stay over. Invited me and then his daughter threw the fit. It was he who proposed we work towards moving in at the 2 year mark and back tracked because of how his daughter feels.

WTF...REALLY's picture

If I understand correctly, the BM is doing your boyfriend a favor first. By taking their child on his allotted time. What BM is asking sounds very reasonable to me. He's asking her to take her during his time so she wants him to take her in exchange during her time. All very reasonable.

And your boyfriend has obviously changed his mind about you staying the night. It is what it is. I would just accept it. And either you leave him and find somebody else or you respect his boundaries and stay with him. I would never force myself on someone.

Redsox22's picture

Be accountable- thanks. Food for thought.

I want to be at peace more than anything. I do see a therapist weekly. It helps to see things more objectively.

She thinks he has boundary issues. She's helping me set my own boundaries too.

It's is a stupid trampoline. So much is good here, but there are these sticking points.

It's absolutely amazing until we hit the SD issue. Then it's Conflict.

Peace- yes- that is what I want.

I need to measure the good versus the bad. Maybe some more time to see how it says out. Work on myself. Set a goal, of say, 6 months. If we are still in the same place, reevaluate?

Redsox22's picture

BF is not indifferent in general when it comes to us.

He sees us together long term and says so often. He acts in accordance with this most of the time.

I see indifference on his part when it comes to giving up couple time because he feels like we will have plenty of time in the future. It doesn't seem like a big deal to him. But then again he gets time with his daughter as the trade off and I just get to go home alone.

I see that I could adapt more of the attitude he has.

Maybe I am too needy. I'll think in that.

moeilijk's picture

I guess I'd be finding other things to do and other people to spend my free time with. I'd make sure BF knows I feel free to date as well, because in your shoes, I'd still be looking for a relationship. To me, it's not really a "relationship" if one person stays home and waits for the phone to ring, and other one lives their life.

Redsox22's picture

We both want to spend our free time together. He created a schedule with SD and BM to
Align with my kids schedule. We happily spend our few days a week together and every other weekend. No one is waiting by the phone.

The issue is that I feel like I'm
At the whim of BM and her asking BF to take SD in the days we spend together. It's usually not well in advance and I'm the one left hanging while BF spends time with SD and BM goes out.

furkidsforme's picture

If I learned anything about men, it's to ignore the words coming out of their mouths and look at their actions only. Men LIE. Not to be mean, but to try to appease everyone.

OP, I'm sorry, but I don't actually think your BF wants to get married or even wants you moving in. Saying his GF of 1 1/2 years can't sleep over because his (likely sexually active) teen daughter "doesn't like it" is NOT how one takes steps on a path toward marriage.

I hate to say it, but all I read here is that you are Mrs. Right Now, and he doesn't want to dump you but he also isn't going to upset his daughter over you either. So basically, he's pretty luke warm when it comes to you.

I don't think I could stay with this guy. But I'm guessing you are going to. Minimally, you should at least increase your value to him. Stop staying over, period. And no him sleeping at your place either. He won't like it. Be honest- tell him you feel unvalued because you are valued less than the whim of his daughter, so you are intentionally decreasing his value to you. After all... why should you date someone who doesn't value you as much as you value them?

Why should you be throwing yourself at this man's feet begging for scraps to get to sleep with him when his actions say he basically doesn't care if you are around? A man in love doesn't let ANYTHING, not even fear of death, keep him from the woman he loves. He sure as hell doesn't let a whiney 15yo keep him away.

Sorry for the tough love. But I hate seeing you here mewling for his attention and approval like a schoolgirl. If we were friends, I might smack you. But it would be for your own good.

Rags's picture

Too true. And I once resembled that remark. Fortunately most of us get over the "tell em what we think they want to hear in order to not disappoint em" phase.

Redsox22's picture

Yes- I get this and I think that if I pushed it to an ultimatum that he would choose me but it would come along with a lot of resentment that I caused his daughter to suffer. I don't think that would make for an easy road to travel down.

I'm trying to work towards solutions that help us move forward with the least amount of resentment or pain for everyone.

Redsox22's picture

I agree ^^^^^

I do not blame SD here. I know this is a problem created by BF and his choices in how to handle things.
SD doesn't fit the category people here have put her in, with the exception of some small manipulation and proof of love demands.i think she acts pretty typical for her age and situation. BF just doesn't set clear boundaries and makes things "either or" instead of clarifying that she and I are not in competition with each other. He sets things up to give her too much sway.

I understand why BF behaves this way. There is some context.

He does show me that I'm a priority in so many other ways. He does have blinders on when it comes to his daughter.

I'm not ready to through out the baby with the bath water yet.

Some here have suggested deadline, for my own sanity if nothing else!

I think that would help me.

lintini's picture

Boy, 2:20am and after reading all of this I am raising a white flag.

OP, you are worth more than being third best and not even allowed to spend the night after 1.5 years. I would have lost interest so long ago.

jumanji's picture

Redsox - how old are your children? It sounded like either you'd have her to your home, or pack up your kids to stay at Dad's when he travels on her days. As an only child, she may also not be keen on having other kids in her home (or going to theirs). Just a thought.

Redsox22's picture

My kids are 14. 12 and 9.

The offer to stay with her (with my kids) or have her to my place was for just one night on a Friday.

All the kids get along really well, but I understand being an only child makes a difference and perhaps she is not comfortable with the idea.