You are here

Help BD15 with SM?!

mo_mom's picture

Hi, all! I'm SO glad to have found this forum. I am a soon-to-be SM to a great SS21, and BM to BD15.
I actually have two questions that could use your wisdom - I'll save the second one for another post. Sorry in advance for a long first post.

XH got married last year to a woman with no children. His 2nd marriage, her 3rd. Both in mid-40s. Met online, proposed within a month, moved in together in 4 months, married a year ago. Not that my opinion matters :-), but they seemed well-suited to each other with similar interests and really seemed to be a good match. XH was "starting over" after midlife career crisis and some other issues - clean slate for him. I truly wished them well, even though divorce was awful. Our marriage couldn't be saved, but I wanted him to be happy only because BD15 would be happy.

I moved on, not the clingy-ex type (I filed, BTW). A year after divorce, I started dating guy from 30 years ago, LOL, and we've been engaged for 3 years. Getting married in October (yay!).

Basically, XH and I have no ties/communication other than BD15.

Initially BD15 liked SM a lot - SM was fun, outgoing, interested in the same music, dressed cool, 'got' many of the things that I didnt, etc. More like a way-cool way-older sister, which was fine because they connected on it. I told BD15 that any time there is one more person in her life to love and support her, that was a wonderful thing. Told her all the stories of friends who became SPs, and focused on the positive. Explained there'd be adjusting, etc., but that it was great they were getting along so well. My mom was a SM to five, and 40 years later is still in regular touch with all of them despite having divorced their dad 30 years ago...I know blended families can have happy endings and that's what I hoped for BD/SM/XH.

Fast forward one year.

BD15 has a very, very strained relationship with her dad.
She's a good kid, good student, has good friends, hyper-responsible (OCD all the way).
Not mouthy, generally quiet, not a drama queen or demanding.
BD pays minimal support, and I have not asked for his share of thousands in orthodontia, med bills, etc. according parent plan because I don't want the tension. Tried to make it as easy and non-confrontational as possible. We communicate by e-mail only, infrequently, and only regarding BD15 activities. XH is not easy to co-parent with, so I try to keep things very low key to avoid blow-ups.

XH lied to BD15 about a few things - didn't tell her he was engaged, didn't tell her they were moving, a few other things... BD asked me for the truth, and I told her she should really talk to her dad, not me. Also, has reverted back to what he was near end of marriage, with unpredictable rages, etc. with his family, SM (so BD says), and with BD. He's diagnosed bipolar, been on meds for 20 years (which he sometimes forgets to take).

SM has become withdrawn, and BD15 is upset that SM cries all the time. SM no longer interacts with BD, refuses to drive her to school that's 5 mins from their house when she's overnight there (8 nights/mo) despite it sync-ing with her work sched. Also 'snipes' in the background when BD15 is on the phone - I've heard it when I've called BD. Snide remarks, mostly, but hurtful.

BD doesn't understand why SM is withdrawing and seems to resent her so much, after they got off to a great start. I asked BD if there was anything she could think of that might have triggered a change, since they used to go to galleries, din, etc. together. BD said that it all changed when they moved in together.

I don't want to push BD towards a relationship that will hurt her. At the same time, I'm encouraging her to try to find ways to make time spent at XH's less stressful - find things she can do to lighten the atmosphere. She made a b'day cake for SM without being asked/told, and said that it was the first time in months that SM seemed happy. She does her chores, her room there is a messy teen room (cluttered but not hoarder-bad), and keeps to herself - said that when she goes in the livingroom to watch TV with them, SM leaves the room. Last week she stopped in to pick up something, said a happy "Hi!" - SM went into the kitchen and cried and XH shut himself in the bedroom.

I don't know what to do - I don't feel like it's my place to speculate what's happening, but I also need help giving BD ideas on how to cope.

I stumbled into this forum looking for hope/ideas because BD said something that stunned me the other night.

She doesn't talk much about what goes on there and I don't ask, but in recent months has said more and more often that she doesn't want to go, she wants to move far away to go to college to get away from XH, and two nights ago said, "XH is an a**hole and SM is a b****"

BD15 doesn't talk that way. I've never heard her utter that kind of thing, ever. She's not hateful, and has certainly not said that to BD/SM (XH would've called me in a heartbeat).

XH doesn't take feedback well - BD brought it up with him twice, and said he told her that they are making a lot of sacrifices for her (not monetary, as he has a good income and child support is less than half of what is normally ordered, he doesn't pay medical/dental/insurance, I give her spending money for her weekends there, and have bought all the athletic gear/prom dresses/etc). He told her that they give up their social life to be a family, she needs to reach out to SM more (but when she does, she's pushed away??).

Can BD/SM relationship get better?
Does this happen a lot - things are fine, then they're not??
Should I put this down to a rocky first year of marriage for XH, and BD15 is caught in the middle?

I read a lot about angry, acting-out kids here, but BD has never been like that. She's afraid of her father, has been for years, and does not argue. Loud noises/voices scare her, even at 15 - she gets very upset when people argue or there's tension, which is probably why she goes out of her way to avoid conflict. XH and I didn't argue...he raged, I cowered.

I have been courteous to SM when she came to school events early on (she doesn't anymore). Tried to keep things light, and at the beginning told her that BD15 really seemed to like her and hoped they would get to know each other much better. At the few family events like funerals or religious milestones that I go to (invited), I say hello but SM says nothing and turns away. I sit alone at the back, and just greet XIL's to avoid intruding on the 'new' family. It confuses me because fiance's XW is courteous, pleasant, we get along wonderfully, we both adore her son (my future SS), BD15 likes fiance's XW alot and says how nice she is, and everyone just gets along .

Suggestions? Should I just keep my mouth shut when BD15 asks what she should do, or when she gets angry about going to XH's?
I want to reassure her that relationships change, that even though it's a rough time sometimes, things can work out.
XH would have a fit if BD15 didn't want to go there at all, but I think it's more a control thing than a wanting-to-have-her-over thing, so asking for a changed visitation schedule is out (I think).

Family therapy didn't help - XH/SM wouldn't participate, and BD and I didn't have issues between us. Single sessions for BD helped a bit with how she felt about the situation, but then XH withdrew his OK to continue them.

Fiance and I have been engaged for three years, and already delayed our wedding for a year because of the issues with BD/XH/SM - we agreed that introducing another change in her life was not a good thing. Reset date is coming up in October, and neither of us want to postpone it again but will if BD is still struggling with XH/SM.

I think BD15 best bet is to try to rebuild some kind of relationship with SM and keep her issues with XH separate.
She gets rebuffed with every attempt to connect with SM, tho, so I'm not sure what kinds of things to tell her to try.

I thought maybe SM wants bio-children and was running into difficulties, but XSIL says SM was adamant about not having children. XSIL also says that things are very strained with SM and XFIL/XMIL, is estranged from her (SM's) family, and SM doesn't participate in family gatherings.

Help?!
Mo_Mom

Anon2009's picture

Welcome and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

I have a question about the last part of your post. Let me preface it by saying that it is not meant to be offensive in any way, shape or form. Do you still attend your XH's family gatherings?

Perhaps SM is projecting her feelings about you and your ex onto your BD. I've had that happen to me and I'm guilty of doing it to my SDs. You said your ex is bipolar. I bet that is taking a huge emotional toll on SM and sometimes people snap and unintentionally take it out on others. Perhaps it's not intentional on SM's part. It could be that, especially after knowing your ex for so little a time, she is overwhelmed and should consider seeing a professional. She could also feel jealous that your XH has a closer-knit family than she does.

You've known your ex for a long time. Maybe SM would appreciate it if you reached out to her and said, "I know firsthand how difficult it can be dealing with (insert ex's name)'s BPD. If you ever need anything, let me know." Or, you could simply and calmly ask her if everything is ok, and if she asks why you ask that, you can say, "I know things have been tough between you and BD lately." You can tell her that you're a SM too. You can say, "BD15 really cares about you, and she'd love to have a close relationship with you again." Then let BD15 and SM take it from there.

I'm sorry for what your BD15 has to go through. My stepmother projected her negative feelings on me too, and it hurt. However, there are a lot of great women here who are SMs who are really nice. This is an awesome site, because it consists of people who are stepkids, bio-dads, stepdads, bio-moms, and stepmoms. It's nice to hear things from all perspectives.

mo_mom's picture

Hi, anon! Thanks for your insight and the congrats (I'm so excited, LOL!) Oh, but life does get complicated, doesn't it?

I had a wonderful relationship with XILs, but since the divorce have stayed away from nearly all family gatherings. XMIL and I talked about quite a bit over the years post-divorce...she would invite me to things, and I would turn her down. I always told her the same thing, that it would be uncomfortable for XH/SM, possibly awkward for BD, but that my thoughts would be with them. I was part of the family for 20+ years, and XILs and I all tried very hard to help XH through some pretty significant issues. At one point, XILs and I went to family counseling together at XMIL's request to figure out how to do a family intervention. XMIL/XFIL adore BD, but I see them only at D15 events and when I pick up BD from a "Grammy Day." We talk mostly about D15 or my mom - polite chit-chat, not very long.

I have been very careful to create a lot of distance because of friends who have had really bad feelings develop with their families - new and old - as new spouses came and went.

The only events I have gone to have been the ones to which XIL's have specifically said that they asked XH first if they could invite me - niece's bat mitzvah, a couple of funerals. I went alone, said "Hi" to the XIL's, sought out and said hello to XH/SM, then sat apart from the family and didn't attend any dinner or whatever. If D15 was with XH for visitation during the event, D15 sat with them. If D15 was with me for visitation, I still had her sit with them...because it was about that new family. Just paid respects and left.

XH's family can be overwhelming - they're close-knit, have a deep shared family history, supportive to the bitter end of their own. You make a good point that she could be jealous of all that - XMIL and I over the years had our disagreements, nearly always resolved or "agreed to disagree", but XMIL was definitely the CEO (Chief Emotional Officer) of the family. If somebody was hurting, she was right in there trying to fix it whether you wanted her or not.

I love his family, but I also accept that a consequence of the divorce means that the relationship changed radically - my choice, not theirs - and in deference to whatever new dynamic was going to come along. It changed well before SM entered the picture, so it's not like she was the cause of anything. I figured whenever whatever new families "blended" - then we could figure out if we'd be one of those "pureed" families where it didn't matter who was married to whom when, somebody brought the cranberry sauce and somebody else brought the salad and everyone had a good time at Thanksgiving, LOL. My fiance's XW/NH are like that - we share events easily with them, and everybody is a "grown up" about the whole thing. Plus, we all genuinely like each other.

I am scared to death of saying anything to SM - I don't know her beyond hello, and the last 'hello' was probably a year ago. I'm afraid that if I did approach her, she would likely go to XH and tell him (I don't know what shape she's in mentally, only guessing based on living with a BPD spouse)...since she still may have the blush of new romance, however quickly it seems to be fading she could see it as meddling and take it to him. XH would go ballistic and I am afraid he would take it out on D15 (he'd figure out that's the only place I'd've heard about it). Yeah, still walking on eggshells.

Thing is, SM is so isolated right now that I can't figure out who to go to to get a message to her if she wanted to talk...

Would it be a bad thing to put D15 in the position of saying/writing to SM what you suggested - at least the part about caring about her (if she still does - hard to tell, she's so confused) and wanting to reconnect? She's had so much rejection from SM lately. But XH might take D15 writing/talking better than if it came from me - he'd see that as what he's wanted, which is D15 reaching out. I just hate the thought of putting D15 in the middle - I don't care about my relationship with SM; I just want SM and D15 to get back what looked so promising at the beginning.

It has been so encouraging to read all the different perspectives - and so many different ways families come together (or get torn apart). So glad you guys are here!

Thanks again, Anon! Looking forward to learning...

Mo_Mom

Anon2009's picture

You're very welcome, mo_mom.

If you think your ex would be happy by her (BD15) reaching out, then it might not be a bad idea. Perhaps your BD would feel more comfortable writing to her. Perhaps she'd feel more comfortable talking to her, just to see what her response is. You know your daughter better than anyone else does, so only you can make the call of how she should go about communicating with her SM.

Is your BD seeing a counselor? Perhaps she'd benefit from seeing her school psychiatrist and talking to a professional.

Jsmom's picture

I see this from a SM perspective. My relationship with my SD was fine until we moved in. Now things are so distant that I keep away from her. I did read most of your post, sorry a little long for me. One thing I noticed was when she stopped by her Dad's house, the SM was distant with her. I had a lot of issues with the drop offs and stopping by to pick up stuff. I still do. It felt like they were invading my space. She may have intruded in something. She should call first. Also, the room issue. The cleanliness may not be an issue for you, but it may be fore her. She is trying to blend her lifestyle with his and your daughter. The money, may not be a factor for you, but it may be for her. Maybe he is not indicating the same thing to her that he does. He may not be telling her everything. From the other side, why don't you make him pay for the extras. At least half. Doesn't your husband have issue with that?

Your daughter may be fallout from problems in their marriage, but she needs to make sure she is not contributing to the SM's frustration. Your daughter may not necessarily be telling you the full story. I know my SD tells everyone what makes her look good. We recently started her in therapy and the therapist has called her out on a few of the arguments that her and I had. Told her she was wrong for arguing with me on some things. That I had rights to have rules in my home. My advice is to make sure your daughter is not contributing to the stress in that house.

Thetis's picture

Alrighty,
Heres a little mini story of mine that may shed some insight on how SM is thinking.
I love my SD. We always had a blast when ever she came to visit, which was 50/50. However if me and Dh were fighting and I thought things were getting close to ending I would pull away from SD because I didn't want the extra pain of losing another person on either of us. Its dumb but I thought if I was going to leave Dh it would be better if me and Sd were not close.
Maybe SM is afraid that her relationship may be ending.

I have to add... WOW you sound like an amazingly well rounded person. I think you and your daughter will get through this fine. Thank you for being a part of this site!

donna123's picture

"I am scared to death of saying anything to SM - I don't know her beyond hello, and the last 'hello' was probably a year ago"

You have admitted you have never talked directly to your exhusbands new wife and you don't know her beyond hello, yet you go on to say that you know she didn't want any children of her own, that she is estranged from her family and she doesn't involve herself in family events according to XSIL and perhaps she is even jealous???? Those are deeply personal issues, yet you know them and have heard them not from SM herself, but from your ex sister in law, in other words your exhusband's sister. Do you not see how inappropriate that is? You have real boundary issues, no wonder SM is upset. She is likely baracading herself in to protect herself because it seems everyone is having a relationship around her and about her, but not with her.

Moreover, have you ever heard of a thing called gossiping under the guise of concern? That is where you preface your remarks with something like "oh i just have such a heavy heart about such and such and I don't really know where else to turn to", and then you proceed to gossip.

What i find really strange is that you almost never refer to BDs dad as dad, it is always XH.

My advice to you is to look a little closer at how you are contributing to the problems.